Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

There are roughly 400 sites in the columbus market to be upgraded in total. The number vary's slightly between 3/4G and 1900/800 but 400 is in general the number of towers. The forecast is a 90 days out kind of thing so if Sprints forecast is accurate that puts us at 120 towers by November 1. 

Ok, 400 ... now does that include Granville, Grove City and areas Sprint may consider Columbus market?

I guessed 200+ from the map looking at sites 'slightly' outside of the 270 belt and everything inside 270..

but its great to have you here giving us the scoop !

I just noticed West Virginia.. what's the deal ? No NV even in Charleston, Huntington... why ??

• Like 1

Has Sprint released a prl for the Note II to pick up 800 yet?

No, but if you want to flash one that's capable you can.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

Ok, 400 ... now does that include Granville, Grove City and areas Sprint may consider Columbus market?

I guessed 200+ from the map looking at sites 'slightly' outside of the 270 belt and everything inside 270..

I just noticed West Virginia.. what's the deal ? No NV even in Charleston, Huntington... why ??

From what I understand, Sprint doesn't have any towers there. They use a third party carrier (Mountaineer Wireless I do believe). That carrier hasn't agreed to upgrade their network from what I've heard.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

From what I understand, Sprint doesn't have any towers there. They use a third party carrier (Mountaineer Wireless I do believe). That carrier hasn't agreed to upgrade their network from what I've heard.

Wow.. sounds like those guys are s.o.l. ... You'd think Sprint would just buy a company as small as that, but maybe that market isn't profitable.. I wonder if some expansion for Sprint could take place in areas like that..  My parents live in SE Ohio where Sprint has a smaller presence.  I don't go there often, but it would be nice if Sprint had LTE there

Wow.. sounds like those guys are s.o.l. ... You'd think Sprint would just buy a company as small as that, but maybe that market isn't profitable.. I wonder if some expansion for Sprint could take place in areas like that.. My parents live in SE Ohio where Sprint has a smaller presence. I don't go there often, but it would be nice if Sprint had LTE there

I'd settle for 3G in SE Ohio! Most of that region is still 2G.

• Like 1

It'd be kind of a bummer if SE Ohio doesn't get any NV love. My family is split between Zanesville and Athens, both pretty big areas for that part of the state, and the 3G service is there is, by Sprint's standards, mediocre at best compared to Columbus.

It'd be kind of a bummer if SE Ohio doesn't get any NV love. My family is split between Zanesville and Athens, both pretty big areas for that part of the state, and the 3G service is there is, by Sprint's standards, mediocre at best compared to Columbus.

Sprint NV does cover both Athens and Zanesville.. I think Athens has 'around' 7 sites in that area.. and so far maybe 3 have gotten NV.. Sprint covers where my folks are - sort of.  They are slightly outside city limits and I'll likely roam on Verizon .. I don't know much at all about if Verizon gives less 'priority' to a roamer.. but I can say my phone sure seems slow.  Maybe someone can answer that.  Otherwise I'm just damn glad Sprint is doing a lot where I live !

Ok, 400 ... now does that include Granville, Grove City and areas Sprint may consider Columbus market?

Sprint is nTelos in West Virginia, and unfortunately Robert does not have any data for nTelos so the best we can do is speculate based upon their public announcements. They have not rolled out LTE yet anywhere, but plan to start in the bear future & from what I understand their agreement with Sprint expires in 2015 so who knows what the future holds. nTelos has not made any public announcement on 800 which as you can imagine would greatly benefit a mountainous area like WV. FWIW, their 3G coverage is fairly solid in both Charleston & Huntington and all major interstates are covered.
  • Like 1

Well, spent the day in Centerburg. I didn't get so much as a blip. Not even the Galaxy Nexus phantom LTE. The only time I had anything was for a brief second. Barely long enough for a screen shot.

This was taken just after I turned on route 3 off of 605 headed north.

Posted Image

I hope this is helpful. Sorry if it's duplicate info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Peeps. You gotta use the LTE Discovery app to get 4G in these new LTE areas. Your phone only polls for LTE every 5 to 30 mins. That time can be extended if your phone is in an active data session. If you're still unable to lock onto LTE try restarting your phone.

Also as known around here the Nexus 4G has not only a "bad" radio, but a weak one, so if you're in a fringe area, you're not going to hold signal like other phones.

Hope this helped and happy hunting.

Today's post has been brought to you by Sprint, the letters GN and the number 2.

Peeps. You gotta use the LTE Discovery app to get 4G in these new LTE areas. Your phone only polls for LTE every 5 to 30 mins. That time can be extended if your phone is in an active data session. If you're still unable to lock onto LTE try restarting your phone.

Also as known around here the Nexus 4G has not only a "bad" radio, but a weak one, so if you're in a fringe area, you're not going to hold signal like other phones.

Hope this helped and happy hunting.

Do you just use the default settings for the lte discovery app? I used it my one hunting but was false hope(Nexus 4g).

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well, made my call to Sprint last night....

One of my work locations have had bad service for a week now, usually have great phone and data (speed tests of 1-2mb). Right now my speed tests range about .15mb and hard to use Tapatalk and YouTube or netflix won't play.

I call Sprint and they admit a tower is down in Genoa Township (near Westerville) and say no Network Vision, just a tower is down and will be back online by August 5th.

I them proceed to ask about my home area(Granville/43023) and he states NV upgrades are in full swing and 5 towers should be up and I should be happy with the fastest speeds ever by September 9 is what the computer says....

He opened another ticket for me with my work location in Genoa Twp and he said my voice and data in Granville will be much better and faster.... I'll take it with a grain of salt but the first time Sprint has acknowledged upgrades for me and falls with line with thenight84 forecast.

Do you just use the default settings for the lte discovery app? I used it my one hunting but was false hope(Nexus 4g).

I went ahead and paid for the upgrade for the "Cycle when not connected to LTE". But if you have the standard version, you gotta remember to restart the cycle once you get your first hit.

• Like 1

I went ahead and paid for the upgrade for the "Cycle when not connected to LTE". But if you have the standard version, you gotta remember to restart the cycle once you get your first hit.

I bought the paid version last week and I'm excited to be able to turn it on and discover some lte... Do u have cycles on default time or shorten it If ur out hunting?

• Like 2

I bought the paid version last week and I'm excited to be able to turn it on and discover some lte... Do u have cycles on default time or shorten it If ur out hunting? Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mine is set to 20 seconds I believe. It may still be 30. I haven't had issues when mapping. I looked how long it takes for my 3G to come back up and that's how long I set reset for. 3G is connected 3-5 seconds before it cycles again.

I was in Centerburg for 5+hours and it never hit. My phone picks up LTE as far as all of the purple mapped in Columbus this far as well as all of the places my cousins gs3 does. It also connects immediately.

Well, made my call to Sprint last night.... One of my work locations have had bad service for a week now, usually have great phone and data (speed tests of 1-2mb). Right now my speed tests range about .15mb and hard to use Tapatalk and YouTube or netflix won't play. I call Sprint and they admit a tower is down in Genoa Township (near Westerville) and say no Network Vision, just a tower is down and will be back online by August 5th. I them proceed to ask about my home area(Granville/43023) and he states NV upgrades are in full swing and 5 towers should be up and I should be happy with the fastest speeds ever by September 9 is what the computer says.... He opened another ticket for me with my work location in Genoa Twp and he said my voice and data in Granville will be much better and faster.... I'll take it with a grain of salt but the first time Sprint has acknowledged upgrades for me and falls with line with thenight84 forecast. Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What number did you call to get all that info?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Got a blimp of 800 at the fair a second ago. I'm going to attempt to find it again.

What number did you call to get all that info?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Regular support, through the menus for trouble with phone/data and the guy looked up my area and gave me what his cpu told him... Who knows though!

I couldn't get another 800 signal while at the fair. I didn't have time to change my PRL to an 800 priority PRL.

After reading what some customer have said on Sprint forums it's very possible Columbus will go thru some 'birth pain's so-to-speak.

I mean lets say by Dec - LTE is indeed pretty heavy in Columbus - but not yet near a launch.  We can expect NV equipment - along with LTE - to be - yes- up and running, but it's also a lot of tuning and testing.  Just because the equipment is running doesn't mean it's yet tuned up to race ready performance.

And In other cities that were already launched - even those cities are improving weekly /daily ..as we speak..

Well, spent the day in Centerburg. I didn't get so much as a blip. Not even the Galaxy Nexus phantom LTE. The only time I had anything was for a brief second. Barely long enough for a screen shot.

This was taken just after I turned on route 3 off of 605 headed north.

Posted Image

I hope this is helpful. Sorry if it's duplicate info.

When I went up there last week, I had to get off of 3C in order to get 4G. The terrain up there makes it tough for LTE to break through.