LTE in downtown San Antonio?

sd2649

I just pulled my phone out of my pocket a block from the Alamo and my EVO LTE had full bars with a 4g icon. I immediately did a speed check and only got evdo speeds (just over a meg down and 200-300k up, screenshots to come). About 30 minutes later, the 4g icon went away... any ideas what I witnessed?

Its possible they hooked up LTE to legacy backhaul just for grins to test something prior to new backhaul being ready.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Show the detailed results for that speed test. The 4G icon is not indisputable evidence that the speed test was over LTE. Furthermore, the signal bars may be mapped to the CDMA1X signal, not the LTE signal. So, even if the speed test was over LTE, the site could be miles away.

AJ

• Like 1

Show the detailed results for that speed test. The 4G icon is not indisputable evidence that the speed test was over LTE. Furthermore' date=' the signal bars may be mapped to the CDMA1X signal, not the LTE signal. So, even if the speed test was over LTE, the site could be miles away.

AJ[/quote']

This is true.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

Driving home and I got 4g again, but it soon after died and I had zero data for about 10 seconds... they're up to something! the detail does say LTE, I will try to upload at home.

Driving home and I got 4g again, but it soon after died and I had zero data for about 10 seconds... they're up to something! the detail does say LTE, I will try to upload at home.

My guess is that you caught a few wisps of LTE from a somewhat distant site. I certainly had that happen a few weeks ago. The site in question turned out to be four miles away as crow flies.

When you have an LTE signal again, you need to view the LTE Engineering screen and report your RSRP and RSRQ values. Then, we can tell you if your speed test throughput is constrained by limited backhaul or by weak signal.

AJ

LTE engineering screen?

##DEBUG#

AJ

This will have to do

Test Date: Jun 23, 2012 7:49:27 pm

Connection Type: Lte

Server: Temple, TX

Download: 1.15 Mbps

Upload: 0.25 Mbps

Ping: 118 ms

External IP: 66.87.97.235

Internal IP: 51.121.109.235

Latitude: 29.42602

Longitude: -98.48547

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/200912260.png

Ookla operates Speedtest.net using a massive global infrastructure to minimize the impact of Internet congestion and latency. With millions of tests performed every day across hundreds of servers, Speedtest.net is the ultimate resource for bandwidth testing and related information. Visit it on your computer today to find out why.

Show the detailed results for that speed test. The 4G icon is not indisputable evidence that the speed test was over LTE. Furthermore, the signal bars may be mapped to the CDMA1X signal, not the LTE signal. So, even if the speed test was over LTE, the site could be miles away.

AJ

This is probably a stupid question by your standards, but I was wondering.... If there is a nearby site that only has 3G, but a distant site that has been upgraded to LTE, does the phone take the weak LTE site or the strong EVDO site?

• Like 1

This is probably a stupid question by your standards, but I was wondering.... If there is a nearby site that only has 3G, but a distant site that has been upgraded to LTE, does the phone take the weak LTE site or the strong EVDO site?

I just asked a similar question in a different thread, short answer is both. the EVO LTE will even connect to a 1x and evdo at the same time. The real question is what does the signal meter report?

• Like 1

No, Ben, that is a very good question. And the answer, theoretically speaking, could go either way. But, from empirical observation, I can say that Sprint LTE devices appear to be configured to favor much weaker LTE signals over much stronger EV-DO signals.

The process the handset uses to choose LTE or EV-DO is network reselection. On at least some Sprint WiMAX handsets, those reselection parameters are adjustable. I know that Robert got some traction out of decreasing the WiMAX reselection threshold on his Epic 4G Touch and that allowed the handset to acquire and retain WiMAX under weaker signal conditions than originally configured. However, I have yet to find any adjustable LTE reselection parameters buried inside the EVO LTE. No matter, LTE sensitivity seems to be reasonably good, and network reselection takes only a few seconds -- far faster than on WiMAX devices.

AJ

• Like 2

No' date=' Ben, that is a very good question. And the answer, theoretically speaking, could go either way. But, from empirical observation, I can say that Sprint LTE devices appear to be configured to favor much weaker LTE signals over much stronger EV-DO signals.

The process the handset uses to choose LTE or EV-DO is network reselection. On at least some Sprint WiMAX handsets, those reselection parameters are adjustable. I know that Robert got some traction out of decreasing the WiMAX reselection threshold on his Epic 4G Touch that allowed the handset to acquire and retain WiMAX under weaker signal conditions than originally configured. However, I have yet to find any adjustable LTE reselection parameters buried inside the EVO LTE. No matter, LTE sensitivity seems to be reasonably good, and network reselection takes only a few seconds -- far faster than with many WiMAX devices.

AJ[/quote']

I haven't found any LTE settings yet to adjust in either the EVO LTE or the Galaxy Nexus. Hopefully, they wont be needed.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

If I have time, I will run some LTE reselection tests while I am in KC tomorrow. By acquiring LTE but then driving away from the site once or twice and observing the signal metrics, I should be able to deduce the RSRP and/or RSRQ values at which the EVO LTE is configured to drop LTE and reselect EV-DO.

AJ

• Like 1

If I have time, I will run some LTE reselection tests while I am in KC tomorrow. By acquiring LTE but then driving away from the site once or twice and observing the signal metrics, I should be able to deduce the RSRP and/or RSRQ values at which the EVO LTE is configured to drop LTE and reselect EV-DO.

AJ

sounds awesome. if that's what my phone was doing earlier, it took about 10 seconds max to connect back to evdo. bar meter was showing 4 or 5 bars, didn't seem to change in relation to the data indicator.

No, Ben, that is a very good question. And the answer, theoretically speaking, could go either way. But, from empirical observation, I can say that Sprint LTE devices appear to be configured to favor much weaker LTE signals over much stronger EV-DO signals.

The process the handset uses to choose LTE or EV-DO is network reselection. On at least some Sprint WiMAX handsets, those reselection parameters are adjustable. I know that Robert got some traction out of decreasing the WiMAX reselection threshold on his Epic 4G Touch and that allowed the handset to acquire and retain WiMAX under weaker signal conditions than originally configured. However, I have yet to find any adjustable LTE reselection parameters buried inside the EVO LTE. No matter, LTE sensitivity seems to be reasonably good, and network reselection takes only a few seconds -- far faster than on WiMAX devices.

AJ

One thing I have seen in the ##DATA# menu under the advanced section for the Viper is that the phone is configured to search for LTE first, then EVDO, then 1X. I don't see timers for LTE either, but I do see timers for HRPD and eHRPD. the HRPD is set for 900 and the eHRPD is set for 360.

• Like 1

asks for a lock code...?

The ICS Debug lock code is 777468, on every ICS device I've tried it on so far.

Robert

• Like 1