•  

Photo

Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

Sacramento California LTE 4g wimax 4g lte 800 mhz california

• Please log in to reply
3638 replies to this topic

#3621 nexgencpu

nexgencpu

Member Level: 4G LTE

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Phones/Devices:LG V20
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Now everything is back to normal and I'm back to an RSRP of -89.  

I wish there was a way to capture the signal strength for several weeks and make a graph.  Every time I call Sprint they always say that "there's no tower work going on with your tower, everything is fine".  But I definitely lost 20dB of signal for about a week.  

Thanks,

Scott

Highly likely it's because the tower is being optimized. I've noticed this has become a huge thing for Sprint.

It's wise they are doing this considering how much more improved the experience is with a properly tuned antenna.

#3622 645824

Member Level: Analog

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Sprint Netgear 6100D
  • Location95363

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Highly likely it's because the tower is being optimized. I've noticed this has become a huge thing for Sprint.

It's wise they are doing this considering how much more improved the experience is with a properly tuned antenna.

I really wish that were true.  I've been waiting since the Clearwire purchase for a more optimized tower. And certainly since the Clearwire shut-down in November; especially with the order to change-out the hardware.

I assume work on a tower would need to be scheduled months in advance. Seems like there should be a list somewhere for tower upgrades but every time I've called Sprint Network Support, they don't have any info on scheduling.

Anyway, my absurdly large tri-band anteanna is able to talk to the tower 8 miles away so I'm more happy now than I've been in a year.  At some point they should upgrade the tower a couple miles from me, then I might start to actually see LTE-Plus speeds (Spark, Enhanced, MIMO, etc.).  My other 23dBi Band41 grid parabolic antenna still points to the local tower.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by 645824, 18 April 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#3623 dbranstner530

dbranstner530

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Phones/Devices:GS3
  • LocationCorning, CA

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

so does my S5 suppot LTE plus or is it time for a upgrade again?

#3624 Hmight

Hmight

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung S7
  • LocationPompano Beach, FL

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

so does my S5 suppot LTE plus or is it time for a upgrade again?

s5 only support one carrier...so no LTE Plus

#3625 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,186 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Pixel 5", Nexus 7 (2013) & 9 (2014), LG G4, SGS7, iPad Air 2
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

My favorite sprint site around sac city College. 

Had to disable carrier aggregation since the third band 41 carrier doesn't have that enabled. 

ILG27nR.jpg

ulrb9wL.png

#3626 645824

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Location95363

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

I would appreciate some advice. I have two Sprint cell towers in my area. One tower is 3 kilometers away (in central Patterson) but hasn't been upgraded yet. The other is 7 kilometers away (in west Turlock).

I have a router bolted onto my mast with two SMA antenna input ports. I have two broadband 23 dBi antennas (800 MHz to 2.6 GHz). Because the closer tower hasn't been upgraded yet, I pointed my second antenna at the 7 km tower.  

But my router is MIMO with these two ports.  Should I point my two antennas to the same cell tower, even though that would be the 7 km tower (which supports MIMO) ?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott

#3627 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

I would appreciate some advice. I have two Sprint cell towers in my area. One tower is 3 kilometers away (in central Patterson) but hasn't been upgraded yet. The other is 7 kilometers away (in west Turlock).

I have a router bolted onto my mast with two SMA antenna input ports. I have two broadband 23 dBi antennas (800 MHz to 2.6 GHz). Because the closer tower hasn't been upgraded yet, I pointed my second antenna at the 7 km tower.  

But my router is MIMO with these two ports.  Should I point my two antennas to the same cell tower, even though that would be the 7 km tower (which supports MIMO) ?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott

Always point it at the same antenna sectors. 

#3628 645824

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Location95363

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Always point it at the same antenna sectors. 

I would agree if I had a quality signal coming from my local antenna or if my router combined the two signals in an intelligent way.

MIMO typically can be broken into three diversity criteria:  spatial diversity (avoiding beampattern nulls from destructive interference multibounce), polarization diversity (solved by orienting the antennas in 2 different polarizations), and beampattern diversity (to avoid nulls in the receiver antennas beampattern).

My problem is that the better tower is father away. And in the afternoon, the sun is in the line of sight to the closer tower.  My understanding is that most present MIMO receiver systems simply switch to the better signal from one of the antennas instead of doing something more sophisticated.   

In my case, I'm using this latter capability. Depending on where the sun is, my router uses antenna #1 or antenna #2. Unfortunately, my router doesn't tell me which antenna it is listening on.

Thanks,

Scott

#3629 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Found me a Nokia mini macro clear conversion in midtown by Buckhorn grill. 

Note GCI will end In 31/32/33 or 39/3A/3B for Nokia conversions. 

ADdUAnv.jpg

#3630 Volaris

Volaris

Member Level: 1xRTT

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

Found me a Nokia mini macro clear conversion in midtown by Buckhorn grill. 

Note GCI will end In 31/32/33 or 39/3A/3B for Nokia conversions. 

Any noticeable performance/coverage difference compared to previous? Can these do two or three carriers?

#3631 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Any noticeable performance/coverage difference compared to previous? Can these do two or three carriers?

None since they just reuse the same antennas.

There can do two carriers and it is ca enabled.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

#3632 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

Another Clear Huawei Nokia mini macro conversion found in downtown by the Capitol. 

That's 2 so far...

#3633 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

At least 6 more Nokia Mini mac conversions discovered. One in southeast sac and 5 in stockton blvd / florin area.

Easy way to identifiy it is by GCI as they end in 31/32/33 or 39/3A/3B. 

Oh and someone say mini mac?

tkKD6PQ.jpg

moaXPXZ.jpg

#3634 645824

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Location95363

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:10 AM

According to the coverage map, the two towers in Patterson now support LTE-Plus. The tower on Orange Ave. is near my home. The other tower is over near I-5.

I noticed that my signal strength indicator went from 1 bar to 3 bars which is what told me that something had changed.  However, the RSRP is still -92.

Likewise, speedtest still indicates 8Mbps.

So they have done something to the towers, but perhaps they still need to do work on the back-haul.

Scott

#3635 645824

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Location95363

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

Sprint has (finally) updated their coverage map to include a larger map graphic.

http://coverage.spri...vanity:coverage

Scott

#3636 Flompholph

Flompholph

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Phones/Devices:S7 Edge
  • LocationConnellsville, Pa

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

It looks like jwmaloney's map that was fast. https://www.reddit.c...e_come/dba667q/

#3637 Dkoellerwx

Dkoellerwx

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 11,331 posts
  • Phones/Devices:LG G5, LG G4, LG G3, HTC One M8, Nexus 5 , HTC One M7, Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO LTE, EVO 3D
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

Sprint has (finally) updated their coverage map to include a larger map graphic.

http://coverage.spri...vanity:coverage

Scott

It looks like jwmaloney's map that was fast. https://www.reddit.c...e_come/dba667q/

The larger map has been around for a couple of weeks now. Before the AMA.

Sent from my LG G5
David

FB.png TW.png GPLUS.png

The views expressed on this forum do not represent the views of KRBK-TV or Koplar Communications.

#3638 cerreta28

cerreta28

Member Level: 1xRTT

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6 LG G3
  • LocationPhoenix AZ

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

You will never see an unlimited hotspot at full speed on LTE. It would destroy a network. In my home, I have a 200Mbps internet that I share with no one. It's great and very useful.

But with Sprint B41 LTE, you are sharing one 80Mbps connection with everyone in your sector. I don't think people get that. Two or three people running full HD streaming on that 80Mbps to a device on hotspots and all of a sudden that carrier is maxed out and everyone else has a reduced experience.

On a 5MHz carrier, everyone in that sector is sharing ONE 37.5Mbps connection. LTE networks are shared ecosystems that cannot support many people using them as full speed ISP replacements where people are full definition streaming. That's not going to happen with the way technology is now and the way networks are deployed now.

LTE cannot be used for a home ISP without significant handicaps. Throughput speed or data limits. Otherwise millions would switch their ISPs to wireless and the networks would crumble overnight.

Whether people like it or not, you're sharing 37.5Mbps, 80Mbps or possibly up to 160Mbps in some situations with dozens or hundreds of other customers. And in a stadium it can be thousands. That's what a wireless network does. We try to educate out that ignorance.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I have a sprint unlimited full speed hot spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3639 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,376 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, OnePlus 2, Kyocera Brigadier
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

I have a sprint unlimited full speed hot spot