What is this thing?!

payturr

I cant focus on anything other than that mess of a phone line system!

Don't worry, We're a goldmine of r/cablefail worthy POTS neglect here.

That's comparatively good. Verizon only uses the finest quality black trash bags on things they see fit to cover.

There is no cellular equipment here. Just a very messy, left open POTS terminal block and a couple of junction boxes.

I'm talking about the object on the right, which leads to a small 90° L antenna 3/4 up the pole

Imagine a NextG/Crown Castle DAS, but only smaller, and white. I'll get better pictures of the other two I've seen.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/mikeluscher159/2014-10-28_zpsot2npnek.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/mikeluscher159/2014-10-28%201_zpswdfon795.jpg

Edited by mikeluscher159

Sorry but I have to agree. I keep getting distracted by that is a sorry cross box. Has Verizon really stopped paying attention to its land line network. Back when I worked for NYNEX that would have been unacceptable.

Sorry but I have to agree. I keep getting distracted by that is a sorry cross box. Has Verizon really stopped paying attention to its land line network. Back when I worked for NYNEX that would have been unacceptable.

I'll be putting together an album of similar atrocities. How was working for NYNEX? From the history books, they're workmanship and service wasn't the greatest? At least subjectively in the NYC area, NY Telephone (Pre breakup) was just OK, Bell Atlantic was better, almost good as they were doing fiber DSL hybrids in the late 90's, NYNEX wasn't so hot, and it all went to censored after the "00 Verizon merger.

Don't worry, We're a goldmine of r/cablefail worthy POTS neglect here.

That's comparatively good. Verizon only uses the finest quality black trash bags on things they see fit to cover.

Stuff like that here would get the company fined Daily. Only during short periods of installations or repairs do you see anything like that. ATT keeps most of our cables buried here, in town its aerial/underground. Thank goodness cable co's arent as messy in my opinion.

I'm talking about the object on the right, which leads to a small 90° L antenna 3/4 up the pole

Imagine a NextG/Crown Castle DAS, but only smaller, and white. I'll get better pictures of the other two I've seen.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/mikeluscher159/2014-10-28_zpsot2npnek.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/mikeluscher159/2014-10-28%201_zpswdfon795.jpg

More photos would be necessary, but there are a lot of radio devices that could be mounted to a pole.  Can you post the exact GPS coordinates of the pole?  Looks much too small to be cellular equipment.  Could be radio for electronic power meter reading or a number of other things.  A repeater would, by nature, need more wires.

Get pictures of the antenna gear always.

I'll be putting together an album of similar atrocities. How was working for NYNEX? From the history books, they're workmanship and service wasn't the greatest? At least subjectively in the NYC area, NY Telephone (Pre breakup) was just OK, Bell Atlantic was better, almost good as they were doing fiber DSL hybrids in the late 90's, NYNEX wasn't so hot, and it all went to censored after the "00 Verizon merger.

Working for NYNEX was pretty cool. I wished I could have stayed with the company to become a cable splicer. Even though I was trained to do residential installations  and work on the poles I ended up in public communications(pay phones) which actually was an added skill. Even while I was there Bell Atlantic was considered the better service company. I think the execs at NYNEX always had an eye on a merger or buyout in the future. They were pretty middle of the road in innovation and infrastructure investment. I can tell you that same older buildings were a mess with drop cables and old unused wire. But that was a necessity and often received the blind eye treatment. However, the supervisors I had wold have had a bird over the pic that you posted. Totally unacceptable. 

• 2 weeks later...