Competing repeaters in office

My two story office building recently placed Verizon repeaters on the ceilings. I don't know if our telecom department did this or if they're owned by Verizon. This office is in a sprint 3G area but 4G has started appearing around town.

If you are within a few feet of a repeater the sprint signal is lost. I know one sprint user who's office is directly under a repeater who has to place his phone in a box lined with tin foil.

Will sprint bring repeaters into a building or does the company that owns the building have to pay for that?

Can sprint repeaters coexist with Verizon repeaters?

Is it possible for them to share repeaters?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Actually, that's something I have heard of, and really caused by poor design of the repeaters. They probably have signal bleedover, where their PCS signal bleeds into the Sprint PCS signal bands. 

The only real fix is to complain to the telecom department as a start, and to Verizon next.

Oh, how you should have titled this thread "Offending repeaters."  That would have been marvelous.

AJ

• Like 3

I have shadowed a guy installing sprint bda and an antenna distribution systems where I work. It amazes me how little they know about the equipment they install. If they over amplify the band they are trying to target it doesn't play nice with other surrounding pcs bands mostly because the receivers in the phones are overwhelmed. None of the installers that are working for a cell company care about what they do to phones on another company. All they test for is the carrier they are doing the install for.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 1

File a complaint with the FCC, tell them the place is using cell phone jammers. Just act dumb. "they installed these antennas in our ceiling and now my cell phone has no service, what if I need to call 911?"

Sent from my Galaxy S3

• Like 4

I have shadowed a guy installing sprint bda and an antenna distribution systems where I work. It amazes me how little they know about the equipment they install. If they over amplify the band they are trying to target it doesn't play nice with other surrounding pcs bands mostly because the receivers in the phones are overwhelmed. None of the installers that are working for a cell company care about what they do to phones on another company. All they test for is the carrier they are doing the install for.

Sent from my EVO LTE

This is so true. I find the same with the techs installing NV too. Even the ones installing carriers and configuring the network. I will start having an in depth conversation and they will just get a blank stare. Then they say, "Man, I have no idea. I just do what I've been trained."

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

This is so true. I find the same with the techs installing NV too. Even the ones installing carriers and configuring the network. I will start having an in depth conversation and they will just get a blank stare. Then they say, "Man, I have no idea. I just do what I've been trained."

I truly hope that the rf engineering department at whatever cell company is asking for the work to be done at a cell site has written instructions on what knob to turn for the field techs. The only engineering I saw with our bda setup was what tower to point yagi at.

Where I work we have had to call Ericsson out a couple times to work on our bda units in a few areas because DC wasn't working. I had already figured out what the problem was (one evdo carrier had an enormous amount of noise) and knew the signal coming from the amp was far to hot. When the guy from Ericsson came out it took me 15 minutes to convince him that my Dura XT was using Sprint DC and not IDEN. He was thrown off by the xxx*xxxxx*xx DC numbers we were using. The rest of the service visit was just as bad. A different guys came out the next day and was a little better and I was able to steer him in the right direction. He also unlocked the g block so now we get Lte!

That said all the bad techs seem to have a good tech to call and get advice from. I have also seen some brilliant Ericsson field techs on this board. I just hope they don't get burned out.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 1