Android App inventor back up and running thanks to MIT

pyroscott

Would-be android app developers need not be deterred from writing an app due to lack of code-writing knowledge. Google had been running an app inventor website until they announced they were dropping support for the project, but opening the source code to anyone who wanted to pick up where they left off. MIT took the challenge and has the app inventor running at the following website http://appinventor.mit.edu/

The app according to the MIT website...

You can build many different types of apps with App Inventor. Often people begin by building games like MoleMash or games that let you draw funny pictures on your friend's faces. You can even make use of the phone's sensors to move a ball through a maze based on tilting the phone.

But app building is not limited to simple games. You can also build apps that inform and educate. You can create a quiz app to help you and your classmates study for a test. With Android's text-to-speech capabilities, you can even have the phone ask the questions aloud.

To use App Inventor, you do not need to be a professional developer. This is because instead of writing code, you visually design the way the app looks and use blocks to specify the app's behavior.

So has anyone used the tool when it was provided by Google? Or is anyone planning on using this program to take a stab at writing an Android app? I may, because I was never too adept at writing code. I just hope it isn't like some of those website designing tools that are so simple, it makes the whole thing look like it was designed by a 3rd grader.

• Like 1