how is capacity allocated on 1X ?

Here's a question that I've been wondering for awhile. On 1x, how is the capacity allocated between the voice calls and the data at the tower? Does data go through as long as there is excess capacity that voice isn't using, or does data being used on 1x decrease the voice capacity?

The people I know with Sprint phones have been noticing the phones switching to 1x mode instead of EVDO much more often, and the EVDO has been congested in general for quite awhile in this area. Coincidentally, before Sprint changed network.sprint.com to not show future updates, pretty much every tower in the vicinity had a planned voice upgrade listed in addition to the EVDO upgrades. So I'm curious if the additional 1x data use is causing Sprint to think it needs voice upgrades in this area, when in reality fixing the EVDO network would keep the phones on EVDO and alleviate the use of the 1x network for data.

I'm not in an area where Network Vision is happening anytime soon, so I assume the increase in going from EVDO to 1x is caused by cell breathing on the EVDO network.

Edited by billyjoejimbob

I am sure AJ the RF guru will step in here but I believe I heard him say cell breathing is only 1x.

I know when went to a few large events such as football games, concerts, etc. that I couldn't connect to evdo. But 1x would work fine. Even Verizon had the same issue as I couldn't get their evdo to work either. Guess the poor little evdo radio at the tower just couldn't hear through all the noise.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I am sure AJ the RF guru will step in here but I believe I heard him say cell breathing is only 1x.

I know when went to a few large events such as football games, concerts, etc. that I couldn't connect to evdo. But 1x would work fine. Even Verizon had the same issue as I couldn't get their evdo to work either. Guess the poor little evdo radio at the tower just couldn't hear through all the noise.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I'm certainly not even close to an expert on wireless technology, but from looking around online it sounds like Cell Breathing affects CDMA in general, so I'm not sure how it would be possible for 1x to be affected but not EVDO.

The following link seems to indicate that EVDO is affected by Cell Breathing, http://www.alloyant.com/products-ptmp-comparison-with-cdma-evdo.html

But if EVDO isn't affected by cell breathing, what's the cause of the fluctuations of EVDO signal? My wife has a US Cellular phone and during the "busy" times of the day, I can sit and watch her phone go from 3 bars EVDO to 1 bar EVDO, to 1xRTT, to 4 bars EVDO, to 2 bars EVDO etc... this doesn't happen in the middle of the night. Same thing happens on my friend's Sprint phones.

In any case, back to my original question, I'm most curious about how 1x capacity is allocated between voice and data. Is it simply a pre-defined fixed percentage allocated to each, like 75% capacity to voice and 25% to data for example? Or is it simply one big bucket of capacity that voice and data use, or something else?

Watching "bars" fluctuate wildly is more likely the device changing sites than it is breathing. If the EcIo ratio of the site your device is connected to gets too high, you may be transferred to a more distant site with a weaker signal with a lower EcIo ratio.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner