This Day in History Aug 6 1997

twospirits

It seems like a never ending soap opera that the story-line just gets rehashed with different characters. case in point. I find it ironic that on this day, August 6, back in 1997 at MacWorld Boston Steve Jobs broke the news that one of their partners was helping them get back on track.The very same partner which was in a tough patent legal dispute with them. That partner was Microsoft, Up to that point who would have thought both would be joining hands singing.

What I found most interesting were the few opening points remarks made by Steve Jobs himself in the video.

"Apple lives in an eco-system, and it needs help from other partners, it needs to help other partners, and relationships that are destructive don't help anybody in this industry as it is today.

So during the last several weeks, we have looked at some of the relationships and one had stood out as a relationship that hasn't been going so well but has the potential to be great for both companies." Then he mentions Microsoft, gasps from the audience.

"I would like to take you through this. The discussions actually began because there was some patent disputes and rather than repeating history, I am extremely proud of both companies that they have resolved these differences in a very professional way."

Going forward to 2012, with Apple and Samsung (both partners and having to rely on each other) and now in a patent dispute but this time around there isn't any resolve.

I honestly believe they both need each other. The patent system should be overhauled and both parties agree to share their patents much like what Apple and Microsoft did back then.

My take on the Apple vs Samsung courtroom drama. No matter who wins this round, both sides lose as well as the consumer.

TS

• Like 4