Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Wow, the G2 ain't no joke picking up signals, eh?  I got it a few weeks ago replacing an Evo and about a month ago with the Evo I was around Baltimore and it only picked up the LTE briefly on 256 and 158, but nothing like what was mapped on sensorly.  So I was around there yesterday with the G2 and I almost connected the 2 towers, not sure of the names but the Basil Rd one in Baltimore and Western Basil one around Canal.  Either way there was just a small stretch where I didn't have a 4g signal, it should be on sensorly.

Other than that I was out there because I was curious as it is now day 5 where signal check pro goes wacko at my house for about exactly an hour in the evening.  The only thing different about saturday night was it flipped through just 3 different 800 signals for the hour, all Canal W???  It never picked up the picktown 800 one and i'm in rburg, plus it never flipped to any of the regular main street towers or 256 tower.  I guess that's what I don't get, I take it either the CW towers are awesome to reach me well in rburg or the G2 really is that great???  I just do not understand all the air wave technical stuff lol.

I know nothing about tower spotting and have no pictures but I always go by that 310/Hazelton one and something looked different about it yesterday.  It looked like there were 2 things about the size of a panel hanging from 2 of the panels???  Not sure but I'll try to read the thread on how to spot 4g towers and learn maybe I can type it out more clearly what I mean.

• Like 1

Wow, the G2 ain't no joke picking up signals, eh?  I got it a few weeks ago replacing an Evo and about a month ago with the Evo I was around Baltimore and it only picked up the LTE briefly on 256 and 158, but nothing like what was mapped on sensorly.  So I was around there yesterday with the G2 and I almost connected the 2 towers, not sure of the names but the Basil Rd one in Baltimore and Western Basil one around Canal.  Either way there was just a small stretch where I didn't have a 4g signal, it should be on sensorly.

Other than that I was out there because I was curious as it is now day 5 where signal check pro goes wacko at my house for about exactly an hour in the evening.  The only thing different about saturday night was it flipped through just 3 different 800 signals for the hour, all Canal W???  It never picked up the picktown 800 one and i'm in rburg, plus it never flipped to any of the regular main street towers or 256 tower.  I guess that's what I don't get, I take it either the CW towers are awesome to reach me well in rburg or the G2 really is that great???  I just do not understand all the air wave technical stuff lol.

I know nothing about tower spotting and have no pictures but I always go by that 310/Hazelton one and something looked different about it yesterday.  It looked like there were 2 things about the size of a panel hanging from 2 of the panels???  Not sure but I'll try to read the thread on how to spot 4g towers and learn maybe I can type it out more clearly what I mean.

The 310 / Hazelton site has been upgraded recently to the new equipment.  It has NOT been signed off / accepted yet, though :(. What you saw / pointed out are the RRHs.  There are two of them per antenna and the keep to spotting them is looking for the six wires attaching them.  They look like "dreadlocks" from Predator, :D.

I was there on Saturday and switched every Triband device off wifi and made sure they had LTE as connection of choice, and I got nothing but 3G.  Just checked Sensorly, and it shows LTE on 70 from downtown to past 256.  I couldn't pick up anything on Saturday on my GS3 and I don't know on which bands the mapping was done.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

On the side note, Microcenter has Nexus 5 for like $38 with contract and LG G2 for $100.  I was so tempted to buy one when I was there.  Soooooo tempted.

The LTE you speak of, is in fact B41 per dyeager and his G2.  Unfortunately, your GS3 does NOT pick up B41 so that is why you haven't been able to see it.  I have the Nexus 5 and it is an EXCELLENT device, as soon as we get the Spark / band priority update it will really be a great phone for the Columbus market.

• Like 1

The LTE you speak of, is in fact B41 per dyeager and his G2.  Unfortunately, your GS3 does NOT pick up B41 so that is why you haven't been able to see it.  I have the Nexus 5 and it is an EXCELLENT device, as soon as we get the Spark / band priority update it will really be a great phone for the Columbus market.

I understand that my GS3 is only single band LTE, but I was surprised to see that none of the Triband phones at the Sprint store on Hamilton and 70 were able NOT to connect to LTE.  I know that B41 is high frequency, and therefore won't have the range of 1900MHz or 800MHz.  I read earlier that the area had LTE on B41, so I decided to see if it will pick it up in store, which isn't that far away from the towers.  I was really surprised to see that they didn't pick up anything.

Edited by valerious
  • Like 1

I understand that my GS3 is only single band LTE, but I was surprised to see that none of the Triband phones at the Sprint store on Hamilton and 70 were able to connect to LTE.  I know that B41 is high frequency, and therefore won't have the range of 1900MHz or 800MHz.  I read earlier that the area had LTE on B41, so I decided to see if it will pick it up in store, which isn't that far away from the towers.  I was really surprised to see that they didn't pick up anything.

B41 is still not officially launched both on the site equipment side as well as the phone side.  Dyeager is the only person that has confirmed any sites and he is using an LG G2 with modified band priority.  The stock G2 will NOT be able to connect to it.  I'm just as confused as you, because from what I understand the HTC One Max should be able to connect to them due to it having a Spark update, however, maybe the store model isn't updated yet?  We did have one member get the HTC One Max and he was NOT able to connect to any B41 sites after the update.  Long story short, B41 is in the very early stages and until something official is launched, anything we get is gravy.

• Like 1

B41 is still not officially launched both on the site equipment side as well as the phone side.  Dyeager is the only person that has confirmed any sites and he is using an LG G2 with modified band priority.  The stock G2 will NOT be able to connect to it.  I'm just as confused as you, because from what I understand the HTC One Max should be able to connect to them due to it having a Spark update, however, maybe the store model isn't updated yet?  We did have one member get the HTC One Max and he was NOT able to connect to any B41 sites after the update.  Long story short, B41 is in the very early stages and until something official is launched, anything we get is gravy.

Well, that makes sense.  So, what sensorly shows in purple along I-70 on the east side should be taken with a grain of salt?

• Like 1

Well, that makes sense.  So, what sensorly shows in purple along I-70 on the east side should be taken with a grain of salt?

Absolutely.  It is there, but for right now it is hiding and only available for a certain few that have made some modifications to their phones.  It is coming for all, but we just are not there yet.  It is unfortunate that Sensorly does not show different bands, because this is going to cause some series confusion moving forward.  This is true of Sensorly on the west side of the city as well on I-70 just inside the 270 loop, on 270 just south of 70 and on Lane right by OSU campus.

Absolutely.  It is there, but for right now it is hiding and only available for a certain few that have made some modifications to their phones.  It is coming for all, but we just are not there yet.  It is unfortunate that Sensorly does not show different bands, because this is going to cause some series confusion moving forward.  This is true of Sensorly on the west side of the city as well on I-70 just inside the 270 loop, on 270 just south of 70 and on Lane right by OSU campus.

Thank you for the breakdown.  The Stelzer Rd, right below Easton, seems to be glowing pretty dark purple, is that also B41?

B41 is still not officially launched both on the site equipment side as well as the phone side. Dyeager is the only person that has confirmed any sites and he is using an LG G2 with modified band priority. The stock G2 will NOT be able to connect to it. I'm just as confused as you, because from what I understand the HTC One Max should be able to connect to them due to it having a Spark update, however, maybe the store model isn't updated yet? We did have one member get the HTC One Max and he was NOT able to connect to any B41 sites after the update. Long story short, B41 is in the very early stages and until something official is launched, anything we get is gravy.

With the one max I couldn't change band priorities though...I'm guessing Sprint is still blocking those sites until they flip the switch...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With the one max I couldn't change band priorities though...I'm guessing Sprint is still blocking those sites until they flip the switch...

imex99,

Any idea if the tower on Hopewell Ct in Newark been upgraded?

Thank you for the breakdown.  The Stelzer Rd, right below Easton, seems to be glowing pretty dark purple, is that also B41?

The most logical answer would be B41, but I do not have confirmation of this.

imex99,

Have you checked out the sponsor map?  The Howell Ct site in Newark has been upgraded physically, but not accepted yet.  Now that you are a sponsor, these questions should most likely be directed there.  We can speak more freely there.

The most logical answer would be B41, but I do not have confirmation of this.

Have you checked out the sponsor map?  The Howell Ct site in Newark has been upgraded physically, but not accepted yet.  Now that you are a sponsor, these questions should most likely be directed there.  We can speak more freely there.

Can you please send me the link?  I'm at work and I can't seem to find how to get to it.

Thank you.

• Like 1

imex99,

Yes, I caught workers putting up everything a couple weeks ago, everything is on place....Just needs tested, tuned and accepted....that's two towers in my area ready!

• Like 1

Yes, I caught workers putting up everything a couple weeks ago, everything is on place....Just needs tested, tuned and accepted....that's two towers in my area ready!

Awesome! I used to live in Newark and still have family and friends there, so it will be a nice addition to my phone addiction. :lol:

Could the 800 I'm picking up on Gender Rd south of Refugee Rd to Brice Rd n Chantry Blvd from Pickerington Rd override the LTE I was mapping? Or would that be the poor radios on this Evo lte?

Could the 800 I'm picking up on Gender Rd south of Refugee Rd to Brice Rd n Chantry Blvd from Pickerington Rd override the LTE I was mapping? Or would that be the poor radios on this Evo lte?

Or would that LTE in light purple I'm seeing all around me on gender, Scarborough Blvd n Tussing be B41?

The 800 is voice service. The LTE is data. You can connect to both at the same time. Not real sure where that light purple came from. Maybe one of the jacked up phones. Same goes for the dark purple in pickerington. The north sector on the Brice Road tower is pretty narrow and short range anyways. Get north of refugee and its gone.

The same goes for the 3G on the same sector. I was mapping it the other day and along Shannon Road I was on the tower by JCP Outlet until I got almost to Brice Rd.

• Like 1

7 Sites were 3G accepted in the Columbus Market yesterday.

• 3 - Jackson, OH
  • 2 - Bainbridge, OH
  • 1 - Beaver, OH
  • 1 - Chillicothe, OH
  • Like 3

Beaver, OH - population 444

Bainbridge, OH - population 856

Jackson, OH - population 6,336

6 towers, 7,636 people and how many are Sprint customers?

*slow clap indeed*

I've made a comment on the Sprint social site that they are more concerned with giving LTE to cows than to people. Sure they have some large metropolitan areas, but if you look at the markets that they hype about, you see that it's mostly rural, sparsely populated areas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Beaver, OH - population 444

Bainbridge, OH - population 856

Jackson, OH - population 6,336

6 towers, 7,636 people and how many are Sprint customers?

*slow clap indeed*

I've made a comment on the Sprint social site that they are more concerned with giving LTE to cows than to people. Sure they have some large metropolitan areas, but if you look at the markets that they hype about, you see that it's mostly rural, sparsely populated areas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind the reason why certain towers are accepted vs. not is mostly to do with all kinds of things rather than what Sprint wants to do.  For instance; permitting, access to the site, access to the correct backhaul and many other factors.  The reason why Columbus proper has not been updated is because of the legacy handoff issues.  If you are not familiar with these issues, feel free to look around or ask more specific questions.  Long story short, our legacy sites do NOT play nice with NV upgraded sites and therefore will cause hard drops from one tower to the next.

Trust me, I could not agree more that I want to enjoy LTE where I work (Westerville) and the surrounding areas, but we just have to be patient in this regard.  No one knows for sure, but we believe that this will enable the market to "turn on" rapidly.  This is NOT official, but would make pretty good sense compared to other Samsung markets.