Sign in to follow this  
RAvirani

My Experience in British Colombia

Hi all,

I’m in Canada right now and my Sprint and AT&T phones are roaming on ROGERS while my T-Mobile phone is roaming on TELUS. After spending a few days in BC, I have to say that TELUS completely blows ROGERS out of the water as far as rural coverage goes. TELUS’s rural network in BC is surprisingly similar to Sprint’s - 5x5 850 B5 (850), 15x15 B2 (1900) and 20x20 B4 (2100). The Qrxlevmin on all bands in -128. ROGERS is running 5x5 B12 (700a), 5x5 B17 (700b), 5x5 B5 (850), 20x20 B4 (2100) and 20x20 B7 (2600).

It seems that the two providers have similar site density although TELUS has done a much better job of optimizing their network. I don’t think I’ve dropped LTE once on TELUS whereas I find myself on 3G/E probably a third of the time on ROGERS. Also, it seems that ROGERS LTE gives up at much higher signal levels than TELUS LTE. TELUS has no problem maintaining a -126 or -127 LTE connection while ROGERS LTE often drops off close to -122, despite them having much more spectrum on air than TELUS.

The most impressive thing I have noticed on TELUS in my few days of using them is that their 5x5 B5 LTE carrier performs well even at signal levels as low as -128. Today I was able to hold a facetime call without any issues as I passed through a number of patches where TELUS’s B5 LTE carrier’s RSRP was hovering between -123 and -128. I think the reason for this is because TELUS is very aggressive about pushing users up to higher band spectrum - I oftentimes see my phone jump from -110ish B5 to -120ish B2.

Overall, I’ve been very impressed with my experience with TELUS thus far and slightly let down by ROGERS. I hope to see Sprint follow in TELUS’s footsteps as far as network management goes - with a little more 1900 LTE on air, I think Sprint can build a network that works similarly to TELUS’s. Stretch 800 and 1900 to their max, drop the Qrxlevmin values on all bands and be a little more aggressive about shifting users to mid/highband spectrum and I think Sprint could do some pretty great things, just like TELUS has :).

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• TAPATALK VERSION
    BACK ONLINE

• PROGRESSIVE RAFFLE
    FOR AN iPHONE 8

iphonexiphone8.jpg

WHICH CAN PROGRESS TO AN iPHONE 8+ OR AN iPHONE X
    **or an Android device of equal or lesser value**

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Hmmm

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• I believe it will be located at the Downtown Clearwire Substantial Service Site.  But it has not been formally sited yet.  Just in early planning.  It might not even be developed.

• I gotcha. And you don’t know where exactly the sites are going to be ? I was hoping they would at least blanket Marquette MI since my girlfriend goes up there to see her friends sometimes and gets extended 3G on her phone while in town. I’m hopping they at least coverage Marquette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • So far no luck with my Note 5, think the damn things is dead. Just went out and got the Samsung Wireless Charging Stand for $60 and the lights indicate it's charging on the pad but I don't see the phone charging, S8+ charges fine on it. Gonna let it sit on here a bit and hope it turns on and was just really dead from sitting a few months. If not I may just toss it off a bridge I'm pissed.
    • Yeah, I've been experiencing similar issues, especially with B41. The device is constantly switching to different bands in strong B41 signal areas. At times I've lost LTE all together, it almost seems like it doesn't know what to do lol. I tried the Z2 for a few days before I decided to switch back to Sprint and the difference between the two, RF wise is like night and day. I decided over the V30 figuring it would be equal or close to the Z2 RF wise, but so far it hasn't. I'm talking about a solid 10 dbms better in signal. Very disappointing. I think I rather have the Z2 Force although it doesn't have 4XCA and 2xCA on upload but it holds a great signal, aside from the fact that it is cheaper than the V30.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk