Sprint remains lukewarm to WP

legion125

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 16 January 2012

I don't know if any of you have a big interest in WP, but I thought I would post this in case anyone would like to discuss this. I think WP is interesting although it loses me with the tiles, poor choices of colors and lack of customization of the home screen. Once I get past that, the the OS is smooth and seamless. I think that Sprint will quietly introduce an LTE version this fall or maybe announce it at CTIA in May. If MS can get the critical mass it needs with carrier and OEM support, as well as making it relevent to the masses, this may be the #3 OS in the market, since RIM seems to be doing all it can to implode.

Sprint remains tepid on Windows Phone at CES, confirms no new WiMAX phones are planned

This may have been a fairly big CES for

Windows Phone, but it looks like Microsoft still has a fair bit of convincing to do in order to bring all the carriers fully on board. That includes Sprint, which does currently have a Windows Phone in its lineup (and is apparently considering more in the "August-September time period"), but remains decidedly unenthusiastic about the platform as a whole. AsPCMag reports, Sprint's David Owens said that the carrier is willing to train its reps on Windows Phone, but that Microsoft has to "build the enthusiasm for the product," adding that the "number-one reason the product was returned was the user experience." Sprint's director of product development, Lois Fagan, further added that the carrier remains "cautiously optimistic," but that Windows Phone "just hasn't taken off." In other news, Owens also confirmed that Sprint would expectedly now be focusing all of its intention on its new LTE network, and not produce any more WiMAX-based phones -- although, as it'snoted previously Sprint will continue to support the network itself through 2015.

A early prototype may be shown at CTIA to quiet the WP fans, so they feel something is imminent. But I'd guess that WP will sit on the sidelines with Sprint until at least September. If they wait that long, they might as well wait until after the launch of the iPhone 5. Hesse & Company must be very concerned about WP cutting into iOS device sales. That point alone should make Bill Gates happy. That his OS strikes fear in iOS Carriers.

Good points. You mentioned before that Sprint doesn't want anything extra to cannibalize iPhone sales, so Sprint may announce a LTE WP device and do a soft launch after the iP5 is released. Makes sense. Unless MS gets things going with WP and people start to get interested in it, I don't think Gates & Ballmer's plans for world domination are going to make it to fruition.

In its current state, WP would be targeted at potential iPhone buyers but without great hardware or an aggressive marketing campaign, I can't see WP taking much of a bite out of iPhone sales. As you said though, WP OS strikes fear in iOS carriers, especially when they have to sell millions of them in the next few years.

From this article, it looks like Elop is pretty confident of the partnership and WP is gaining steam with the new models Nokia is designing for different markets. He wants to "keep the excitement going".

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-CEO-says-devices-in-different-shapes-sizes-and-configurations-will-be-succeeding-the-Lumia-900_id26118