Certain Phones Won't Work after 7/1/16?

Apparently Sprint is telling RingPlus (Sprint MVNO) to contact certain customers to tell them their phones may not work on Sprint after July 1, 2016.

The e-mail itself is a bit confusing to me:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1884609-Appears-Changes-are-coming-soon-to-the-Sprint-Network

What's causing this? Is 1900MHz being refarmed and only 800MHz CDMA remaining? Are they making changing within the 1900MHz band to make wider LTE channels?

From the post containing startledmarmot's reply (RingPlus CTO) it sounds like Sprint is shutting down 1900MHz CDMA/EVDO and refarming to LTE. Does Sprint have enough capacity on 800MHz CDMA to handle all their customers' HD calls?

Edited by Volaris

Apparently Sprint is telling RingPlus (Sprint MVNO) to contact certain customers to tell them their phones may not work on Sprint after July 1, 2016.

The e-mail itself is a bit confusing to me:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1884609-Appears-Changes-are-coming-soon-to-the-Sprint-Network

What's causing this? Is 1900MHz being refarmed and only 800MHz CDMA remaining? Are they making changing within the 1900MHz band to make wider LTE channels?

From the post containing startledmarmot's reply (RingPlus CTO) it sounds like Sprint is shutting down 1900MHz CDMA/EVDO and refarming to LTE. Does Sprint have enough capacity on 800MHz CDMA to handle all their customers' HD calls?

In certain markets, Sprint is shifting which PCS block they use in order to better align spectrum with the PCS G Block, allowing them to use wider LTE channels. I am not aware of any markets in which Sprint is completely shuttering all CDMA operations in PCS, so this announcement does not make sense.

A PRL/Profile update will be required to make sure devices continue to operate after the spectrum switch is made. It's possible these devices are not capable of being updated, and thus need to be switched out. Perhaps that is what the email is referring to.

• Like 1

Does this mean the spectrum swap action is about to begin??!!!

It does, Starts mid July and goes through December. Any device that cant be OMA (over the air modified will need to be touched and a prl ending in 50/4 will need to be sideloaded, and its not this specifically that is shuttering CDMA or EVDO though both Verizon and Sprint are doing that in markets where LTE is solid and EVDO is under utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It does, Starts mid July and goes through December. Any device that cant be OMA (over the air modified will need to be touched and a prl ending in 50/4 will need to be sideloaded, and its not this specifically that is shuttering CDMA or EVDO though both Verizon and Sprint are doing that in markets where LTE is solid and EVDO is under utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so happy about this. Do you know if it will require a tower visit, increased backhaul, new carrier card?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am so happy about this. Do you know if it will require a tower visit, increased backhaul, new carrier card?

I believe it can all be done via software updates. I am not certain the swaps for northern Florida have been approved by the FCC yet, so it may be later rather than sooner in that area.

I believe it can all be done via software updates. I am not certain the swaps for northern Florida have been approved by the FCC yet, so it may be later rather than sooner in that area.

As long as extra capacity is coming THIS YEAR and not next summer or something.

• Like 1

Almost everything done with the eNB are software configurations that are pushed out remotely. 

The T-mobile and Verizon swap deals are still pending in the FCC. 

See here for the ATT / SPR markets that will be the first ones to swap. 

Ocala it technially central Florida where I live. I'm actually confused as to why we are linked in the Jacksonville market. The lte rf switch is in Orlando and we are almost 100 miles closer to Orlando than Jacksonville.

Interesting that the Georgia market is in the first wave, given the large number of remaining rural GMOs that don't seem to have gotten 800 or LTE installed yet. Hopefully that means Sprint is finally going to upgrade the sites.

• Like 1

Interesting that the Georgia market is in the first wave, given the large number of remaining rural GMOs that don't seem to have gotten 800 or LTE installed yet. Hopefully that means Sprint is finally going to upgrade the sites.

GMOs can be remotely reconfigured to broadcast the different PCS cdma channels that result from the swaps.

800 is irrelevant.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

My understanding from the announcement is that this is more than just a spectrum swap, but also decommissioning EVDO and 1X on 1900 in favor of more LTE channels. Otherwise PCS/CLR-only devices would not be left behind.

My understanding from the announcement is that this is more than just a spectrum swap, but also decommissioning EVDO and 1X on 1900 in favor of more LTE channels. Otherwise PCS/CLR-only devices would not be left behind.

No. 

The announcement is PCS refarming and channel reconfiguration will happen for  pCS CDMA as part of the spectrum deals.

Some older phones can't update their PRLs and since PRLs dictate what a phone scans for in a geographical area these phones with older PRLs that can't be updated won't search for the new CDMA channels that Sprint will go live with. 

Say for example in market A for the past 15 years any CDMA2000 phone only needed to know PCS A block spectrum say channel 25/50/75/100/125/150 and so on. Comes the PCS swap Sprint gives up the A block spectrum for the C block which is channel 1000+.

Since the old CDMA devices cannot update their PRL so that they'll acquire the new channel assignments they will keep scanning for CDMA carriers in the PCS A block range and find nothing and thus get no service. 

• Like 7

*snip*

what channels should we be watching for on 1x and EVDO to know that this has happened? right now i'm on channel 425 for 1x and 650 for EVDO. I'll be leaving for vacation tomorrow and won't be back to the des moines area till july 10th, hopefully when i get back some of these changes will have already taken place.

and related to this, will 1x/EVDO channels change first and then later the B25 LTE changes will happen? Or will all of them happen at the same time once they do?

what channels should we be watching for on 1x and EVDO to know that this has happened? right now i'm on channel 425 for 1x and 650 for EVDO. I'll be leaving for vacation tomorrow and won't be back to the des moines area till july 10th, hopefully when i get back some of these changes will have already taken place.

and related to this, will 1x/EVDO channels change first and then later the B25 LTE changes will happen? Or will all of them happen at the same time once they do?

Reconfiguration begins July 1st. 

ATT and Sprint enters into a leasing agreement to lease the spectrum to each other and create a migration plan so that both sides will vacate their current spectrum and onto the their newly acquired spectrum. 

This type of stuff is all software configuration but the removal of the 2nd B25 carrier in the IA markets and moving of CDMA channels to 1000+ signifies its in progress. The timing entirely depends on what time frame ATT and Sprint agreed to. 

Currently in hammondsport, NY but in a few months moving to Littleton, NH

Not even covered by sprint but he doesn't seem to want to upgrade or switch.

Living in upstate NH though may force him away

Currently in hammondsport, NY but in a few months moving to Littleton, NH

Not even covered by sprint but he doesn't seem to want to upgrade or switch.

Living in upstate NH though may force him away

Hammondsport is not affected by these changes.