Band 26 spectrum auction for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands

smooth25

What's the chance Sprint gets this and is it compatible with their current 800 holdings?

"The two companies together hold 9.15 MHz of cellular Band 26 spectrum on the Islands. The combined 800 MHz spectrum offered in the auction will be the last opportunity to acquire 800 MHz cellular spectrum that provides coverage to the entire Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands market areas."

"The spectrum offered in the upcoming auction would increase the 800 MHz holding of the A or B Block cellular licensees by 36%, represents over 65% of the available cellular Band 26 spectrum in the Puerto Rico market, and represents over 50% more spectrum than that available in the 6 MHz channels which will be offered in the upcoming 600 MHz FCC incentive auction"

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20151109/sponsored/puerto-rico-800-mhz-spectrum-auction-sponsored-content

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

What's the chance Sprint gets this and is it compatible with their current 800 holdings?

"The two companies together hold 9.15 MHz of cellular Band 26 spectrum on the Islands. The combined 800 MHz spectrum offered in the auction will be the last opportunity to acquire 800 MHz cellular spectrum that provides coverage to the entire Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands market areas."

"The spectrum offered in the upcoming auction would increase the 800 MHz holding of the A or B Block cellular licensees by 36%, represents over 65% of the available cellular Band 26 spectrum in the Puerto Rico market, and represents over 50% more spectrum than that available in the 6 MHz channels which will be offered in the upcoming 600 MHz FCC incentive auction"

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20151109/sponsored/puerto-rico-800-mhz-spectrum-auction-sponsored-content

Preferred and North Sight are SMR spectrum squatters.  This is one last hurrah for them to try to capitalize on spectrum they have held for over a decade and not met construction buildout requirements.  They keep getting extension after extension from the FCC.  They must feel the extensions are coming to an end.  The FCC should have confiscated these licenses years ago.

Sprint certainly can use this spectrum.  They have been virtually extorting Sprint (in my opinion) for years for this spectrum.  Sprint has bought some SMR from Preferred in the past.  I think in the Virginia area, if memory serves.  They have never been able to reach a deal in Puerto Rico.

This all could be in an effort to get Sprint to pay their ridiculous amounts for the spectrum in PR/VI.  Get them back to the table.  Or it may be because Sprint is holding out hoping the FCC will scoop back in.  Nobody else really has Band 26 devices, so the spectrum is most valuable to Sprint in short and mid-term.  If they could come up with a reasonable amount, I know Sprint would pick it up in a heartbeat.  But these squatters have been aggressive holdouts in Puerto Rico.  

Sprint should just register for the auction and see who shows up.  I don't think it's going to be as popular as the Owners are claiming in their Press Release.  At this point, it really is only valuable to Sprint.  But others could be interested if it sells cheap enough.

• Like 2

Preferred Communication Systems, Inc. and North Sight Communications, Inc., have agreed to jointly offer their Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands 800 MHz spectrum in an open public auction scheduled to begin December 1, 2015. The two companies together hold 9.15 MHz of cellular Band 26 spectrum on the Islands. The combined 800 MHz spectrum offered in the auction will be the last opportunity to acquire 800 MHz cellular spectrum that provides coverage to the entire Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands market areas.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if other carriers would be interested and it seems not. Hopefully Sprint will finally be able to deploy b26 here.

It likely would allow Sprint to deploy B26 there.  At least 3x3, if not 5x5.  It depends on exactly where the spectrum in question is located.  It would need to be adjacent to Sprint's existing SMR 800, between 816-824MHz/861-869MHz.

It likely would allow Sprint to deploy B26 there. At least 3x3, if not 5x5. It depends on exactly where the spectrum in question is located. It would need to be adjacent to Sprint's existing SMR 800, between 816-824MHz/861-869MHz.

Is there a way to find out what they actually hold? Just says A, B licenses.

Is there a way to find out what they actually hold? Just says A, B licenses.

No, you are misreading that.  This is SMR 800 MHz spectrum.  It is not Cellular A/B block, which is Cellular 850 MHz (also called Cellular 800 MHz) spectrum.  The two spectrum bands are adjacent, though individual licensee holdings may not be adjacent.  The quote just says that Cellular 850 MHz licensees could increase their holdings, not that this is Cellular A/B block spectrum.

However, trust me, the Cellular 850 MHz licensees are not interested.  They run GSM 850 and band 5, not band 26, thus have no use for SMR 800 MHz spectrum.  And that band 26 mention -- which was an unnecessary inclusion -- is a clear reference to Sprint.  The spectrum speculators want to make this spectrum seem more valuable than it is.

AJ

• Like 1

It likely would allow Sprint to deploy B26 there.  At least 3x3, if not 5x5.  It depends on exactly where the spectrum in question is located.  It would need to be adjacent to Sprint's existing SMR 800, between 816-824MHz/861-869MHz.

Couldnt sprint add it to the existing 800 mhz to take band 26 higher than 5X5?

They don't hold as much spectrum in PR as the rest of the country. That's why B26 has not yet been deployed.

Oh i see so its only voice. this could change that. got ya.

Oh i see so its only voice. this could change that. got ya.

No, I don't believe 1x800 has been deployed either. If I remember correctly, the equipment deployed was PCS only, so it would take a swap of antennas in order for them to broadcast anything in SMR.

No, I don't believe 1x800 has been deployed either. If I remember correctly, the equipment deployed was PCS only, so it would take a swap of antennas in order for them to broadcast anything in SMR.

Atleast their working on band 41 out there.

What do you mean? How. Sprint CEO has said on Twitter that band 41 is coming to Puerto Rico

He said that last September 2014 as well. Saying something and working on something is different, at least to me. Sorry, I thought you had more info than that.

Based on an older article these 2 squatters saw how much aws went for in PR after last years auction and decided to partner up since they were told their spectrum was 30% more valuable than aws.

Based on what Claro paid for in PR (84,000,000 for a similar size bandwidth 10), are they looking for 100+ mil even though Sprint is likely the only one interested?

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150827/sponsored/800-mhz-esmr-spectrum-holders-team-up-in-puerto-rico-sponsored-content

Based on an older article these 2 squatters saw how much aws went for in PR after last years auction and decided to partner up since they were told their spectrum was 30% more valuable than aws.

Based on what Claro paid for in PR (84,000,000 for a similar size bandwidth 10), are they looking for 100+ mil even though Sprint is likely the only one interested?

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20150827/sponsored/800-mhz-esmr-spectrum-holders-team-up-in-puerto-rico-sponsored-content

They're stupid if that's what they think. Sprint is the only US carrier, hell, I think the only carrier period, using band 26. No one else has any reason to be interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the auction was going to be conducted in the same manner as the upcoming 600 MHz reverse auction. They were also starting at the same prices as the 600 MHz auction as well. Pretty crazy. I can see why it would last more than a day.