Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

Hadn't seen anything anything on this at least in the LG subsection (if info exists elsewhere, please feel free to lock if needbe mods), but Google Now passed this my way the other day:

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nexus-5-2015-to-come-with-new-android-m-features-including-fingerprint-sensor-and-usb-c-port-30048

The last several weeks, the 2015 Nexus rumors are for a Huawei or Xiaomi phablet and an LG handset.  I wish that I could consider it news, but it is just widespread hearsay.

I also get many of the same "articles" in my Google Now feed.  It mystifies me why so many come from religious or ethnic focused sites, not tech sites.

AJ

• Like 1

I hope they can make a less costly nexus 2015 , like the nexus 5. I would buy one in that case, but I can not justify paying $600+ for an overly enlarged phone.

I am still happy with my Nexus 5. It runs great and never had an issue. My only complaint would be the terrible speaker and poor camera but for the price at launch it was a great deal.

The last several weeks, the 2015 Nexus rumors are for a Huawei or Xiaomi phablet and an LG handset.  I wish that I could consider it news, but it is just widespread hearsay.

I also get many of the same "articles" in my Google Now feed.  It mystifies me why so many come from religious or ethnic focused sites, not tech sites.

AJ

I couldn't find the exact article I'd seen pop up on my phone, but the initial one I read did actually reference video from the Google presentation at least plus a few references to something published on Verge and BGR I believe (not that anyone's a huge fan of the latter in particular).

Otherwise, I am totally with you on the whole strange trend of odd sites popping up breaking news on things AJ....from 'Christian Today' to 'Latino-(whatever)' to 'Chinatopix'....I was beginning to think I was the only person who was seeing those popping up so often, you're the first person I've seen openly commenting on it to be honest.

I am still happy with my Nexus 5. It runs great and never had an issue. My only complaint would be the terrible speaker and poor camera but for the price at launch it was a great deal.

Overall, the best two Nexus devices were both released in 2013.  The 2013 Nexus 7 and the Nexus 5.  They continue to be competitive with or even top more recent devices.  And the Nexus devices of 2014 were, well, just weird.

AJ

• Like 3

Overall, the best two Nexus devices were both released in 2013.  The 2013 Nexus 7 and the Nexus 5.  They continue to be competitive with or even top more recent devices.  And the Nexus devices of 2014 were, well, just weird.

AJ

I highly agree with the Nexus 5 statement, but the Nexus 7 statement, I'm kind of on the fence. On one hand, it's definitely the best tablet that came with the Nexus name, and the Nexus 9 was just disappointing. On the other hand, my Nexus 7 has slowed down so much after Lollipop, I haven't really used it anymore.

I'll actually be jumping ship to the LG G4 either today or tomorrow. As much as I love my Nexus 5, its battery life is really what irks me, and LG's G series has had much better luck with battery life. Even still, I'm actually planning on keeping my Nexus 5 as a secondary device until it dies. It's just that good.

I highly agree with the Nexus 5 statement, but the Nexus 7 statement, I'm kind of on the fence. On one hand, it's definitely the best tablet that came with the Nexus name, and the Nexus 9 was just disappointing. On the other hand, my Nexus 7 has slowed down so much after Lollipop, I haven't really used it anymore.

I'll actually be jumping ship to the LG G4 either today or tomorrow. As much as I love my Nexus 5, its battery life is really what irks me, and LG's G series has had much better luck with battery life. Even still, I'm actually planning on keeping my Nexus 5 as a secondary device until it dies. It's just that good.

I fell in love with my N5 all over again after getting 5.1.1 and putting in a new battery especially. The original battery was giving me only 2 hrs SOT after 18 months. With the new one in place, it's about 5 hrs SOT.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The last several weeks, the 2015 Nexus rumors are for a Huawei or Xiaomi phablet and an LG handset. I wish that I could consider it news, but it is just widespread hearsay.

AJ

Android Police broke this story, and commits in AOSP were found by another party which reference an LG device "bullhead" (2013 Nexus 5 was "hammerhead"). So it's not just the scraper sites.

Edit: link http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/26/rumor-no-nexus-tablet-in-2015-but-two-phones-a-5-2-inch-lg-code-name-angler-and-a-5-7-inch-huawei-code-name-bullhead/

Edited by djw39

I fell in love with my N5 all over again after getting 5.1.1 and putting in a new battery especially. The original battery was giving me only 2 hrs SOT after 18 months. With the new one in place, it's about 5 hrs SOT.

Where did you get a replacement battery? 

Just curious, but are you sure you're talking about the 2013 Nexus 7 and not the 2012 version?   We have a 2012 version and its been kind of hit and miss on the performance, though it improved with the latest 5.1 push from the original 5.0.x versions.  From what I'd read, the 2013 N7 wasn't affected quite as acutely - and that's the version AJ was referencing in his post.

Where did you get a replacement battery?

From Amazon, through the seller Shine-E. Battery manuf date was December 2014, so pretty new. I put it in in April and it's still going great, about 4.5 hrs of SOT.

• Like 1

From Amazon, through the seller Shine-E. Battery manuf date was December 2014, so pretty new. I put it in in April and it's still going great, about 4.5 hrs of SOT.

I did the same thing with my G2.  Replaced the battery after 1.5 years.  Noticeable difference, although not quite as major of a difference as your experience.  Embedded batteries are very tedious to swap out, though.  Basically taking your phone apart and putting it back together just to swap the battery.

Just curious, but are you sure you're talking about the 2013 Nexus 7 and not the 2012 version?   We have a 2012 version and its been kind of hit and miss on the performance, though it improved with the latest 5.1 push from the original 5.0.x versions.  From what I'd read, the 2013 N7 wasn't affected quite as acutely - and that's the version AJ was referencing in his post.

I'm definitely talking about the 2013 Nexus 7. The 2012 Nexus 7 was much worse, from what I heard, but it doesn't mean that the Nexus 7 2013 wasn't badly affected.

Edit: And I'm not suggesting this is happening to everyone. I have another friend who has a Nexus 7 2013, and he also said he was enjoying Lollipop on it. My Nexus 7, however, is shared between my girlfriend and me, and both of us agree that it is much worse than when it had 4.4 or 4.3.

Edited by metayoshi

As comfortable as I am messing with software like ROMs and using command lines (I am a firmware engineer by profession), and as comfortable as I am installing new RAM or a new HDD/SSD in a laptop or building a new desktop from scratch, I am just not comfortable popping open a phone that's not meant to be popped open by a normal consumer. That's just me. If you're fine and happy going that route, all the power to you, and I'm glad you're able to squeeze more life into the device.

As I've said before, it's a great device. And even though I now have a G4, I am definitely keeping the Nexus 5 for messing around with (I already installed the Android M preview as soon as my G4 was loaded with every app I frequently use). I'm hoping the next Nexus 5 is going to be just as good for anyone going that route.

I'm definitely talking about the 2013 Nexus 7. The 2012 Nexus 7 was much worse, from what I heard, but it doesn't mean that the Nexus 7 2013 wasn't badly affected.

Edit: And I'm not suggesting this is happening to everyone. I have another friend who has a Nexus 7 2013, and he also said he was enjoying Lollipop on it. My Nexus 7, however, is shared between my girlfriend and me, and both of us agree that it is much worse than when it had 4.4 or 4.3.

Understood, and I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that the 2013 version had no issues either - just that my understanding was that there was a definite difference between the two in terms of how they'd handled the upgrade. 

I can certainly corroborate that there were no performance issues with the 2012 version on KitKat, and I certainly wouldn't say there are no issues now on 5.1 either - there's still lag/hesitations off and on- just that there was a noticeable improvement over the comparatively abysmal experience with the 5.0.x versions.

As comfortable as I am messing with software like ROMs and using command lines (I am a firmware engineer by profession), and as comfortable as I am installing new RAM or a new HDD/SSD in a laptop or building a new desktop from scratch, I am just not comfortable popping open a phone that's not meant to be popped open by a normal consumer. That's just me. If you're fine and happy going that route, all the power to you, and I'm glad you're able to squeeze more life into the device.

As I've said before, it's a great device. And even though I now have a G4, I am definitely keeping the Nexus 5 for messing around with (I already installed the Android M preview as soon as my G4 was loaded with every app I frequently use). I'm hoping the next Nexus 5 is going to be just as good for anyone going that route.

I'm not even in the software or hardware industry - I work at CVS pharmacy counting pills! - and it was pretty easy swapping out the battery? XD

I have plenty experience, though, building my own rigs & disassembling laptops for CPU swap, thermal paste reapplication, and heatsink & fan replacement.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I'm not even in the software or hardware industry - I work at CVS pharmacy counting pills! - and it was pretty easy swapping out the battery? XD

I have plenty experience, though, building my own rigs & disassembling laptops for CPU swap, thermal paste reapplication, and heatsink & fan replacement.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Yeah, you do a lot of aftermarket stuff like disassembling laptops and doing thermal paste reapplication. When I build PCs, I'm a stock everything guy. I don't overclock anything or use aftermarket cooling. I'm too afraid of breaking my things even though I know other people do it.

I think many of you guys are too OS update happy.  My 2013 Nexus 7 is still running Jelly Bean and doing just dandy.  Why fix what is not broken?  If I want Lollipop, it will come with my next handset or tablet.

AJ

• Like 3

On a lot of phones where you are dealing with tons of adhesive (say HTC M8/M9) I get it... but on a nexus 5 - it's basically user accessible.  I wouldn't clump all sealed phones in the same boat.  If you can build a desktop from scratch, opening a Nexus 5 is about 1000x easier.

Don't be scared, the Nexus 5 doesn't bite :)

I think many of you guys are too OS update happy.  My 2013 Nexus 7 is still running Jelly Bean and doing just dandy.  Why fix what is not broken?  If I want Lollipop, it will come with my next handset or tablet.

AJ

In my opinion, to each their own. Some people like to update, some people don't. That's fine. And to answer the question, "Why fix what isn't broken?" Major OS updates is rarely about fixing what's broken anyway. It's about getting new features, and unfortunately, that comes with bugs or useful features taken out if the developer is not smart enough to realize.

Otherwise, most of the time, new OS versions come with great benefits. The update from Eclair to Froyo, for example, added their just in time compiler for better performance. Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich unified the phone and tablet UIs and is essentially the major layout we see today. Jelly Bean brought Project Butter in 4.1, Android native quick settings in the notification shade in 4.2, and NAND TRIM support for performance consistency in 4.3. KitKat brought down the requirements so that lower end phones in emerging markets can run Android. Even Lollipop, with all its bugs, finalized ART, which was supposed to increase performance, and improved little things like the quick settings menu in the notification shade.

In the end, it all depends on whether the owner of the device wants to upgrade or not. If you want to stay on an older firmware, that's perfectly ok. Just like how it's perfectly ok for people to upgrade if they want to. It's not really the user's fault if they run into bugs. it's on the entity providing those updates, whether that's Google, the OEM, or the network carrier. These buggy releases shouldn't be going out in the first place.

On a lot of phones where you are dealing with tons of adhesive (say HTC M8/M9) I get it... but on a nexus 5 - it's basically user accessible.  I wouldn't clump all sealed phones in the same boat.  If you can build a desktop from scratch, opening a Nexus 5 is about 1000x easier.

Don't be scared, the Nexus 5 doesn't bite :)

Again, to this, to each their own. I'm just not comfortable opening something that's not meant to be opened, whether it's easy or not. I'm perfectly happy with upgrading to my LG G4, just like how you're perfectly happy with staying with your Nexus 5.

I am hoping that the rumors are true about a Nexus 5 (2015) with a 5.2 in screen.  It will be awesome if it can maintain the screen size as my LG G2.  Hoping it will be packed with a USB Type-C port and quad HD screen.  A fingerprint sensor would be nice to really get Android Pay up and running.

I am hoping that the rumors are true about a Nexus 5 (2015) with a 5.2 in screen. It will be awesome if it can maintain the screen size as my LG G2. Hoping it will be packed with a USB Type-C port and quad HD screen. A fingerprint sensor would be nice to really get Android Pay up and running.

I agree with everything except quad HD. I think the whole quad HD thing is very overrun rated for such a small device and I'd prefer battery life over any negligible screen size changes especially if it comes also with a performance hit.
  • Like 3