Google/Sprint and a little bit of Dish/T-Mobile

Arysyn

Hey Everyone,

I was reading an investment article here, http://seekingalpha.com/article/3183056-sprint-is-worth-more-than-you-think

I got to thinking about a post I made a while back about the possibility regarding Dish merging with Sprint, but it being done by Softbank purchasing Dish, then merging it together with Sprint. I thought of that from an article I read regarding Sprint and Dish working together on a home internet plan of some sort, then taking all the history Sprint has had with Dish and Softbank, figuring it as an indicator for a good buyout of Dish by the big company in Japan. On that level, it made much sense to me.

However, I neglected a major aspect of this idea being feasible. That being the spectrum Dish has in contrast to Sprint's spectrum. We all know Sprint doesn't use AWS spectrum, which is the spectrum Dish now has a whole bunch of. While it might benefit Sprint to incorporate this spectrum onto its network, there are major issues in doing so that might outweigh those benefits, particularly in the hassle of integrating it with its 800/1900/2500 plans.

Much work would need to be done to make this work, adding in to the already huge workload Sprint is doing in its various network upgrades it already has planned and funded for. Adding in AWS spectrum would be a massive undertaking Sprint just does not need at this point. Even if it were, it wouldn't be done evenly among the markets of Sprint's network, which is a point I take against T-Mobile in their 700 plans that are being left out in certain markets, some major ones at that, such as Chicago.

Yet, when reading the investment article, I noticed in the comments section someone mentioning possibilities of whom Sprint might be sold to in the future. While Softbank is heavily invested in Sprint, particularly as it relates to Masa Son's goal of a global wireless network, there are issues where Masa might consider his goal, while very admirable, just not feasible considering the nature of how the U.S. business industry works and all of its mergers, consolidations, etc. Even the mention of companies such as Comcast and Verizon possibly buying Sprint made me think more of this.

Noting here I have nothing against the Softbank ownership of Sprint and I think Masa has some great ideas, among my wanting success for him, for Softbank, and for Sprint, I imagine he will end up selling Sprint, though not because of any particular negativities or regrets regarding his investment. Companies such as Dish and Comcast need to grow, especially with the decline in cable television, of which I was reading another article about earlier. Sprint would be a great choice for either company to purchase from Softbank, though Dish's spectrum now makes me think it less likely for a merger to take place between it and Sprint. I'll refrain from mentioning the advantages Comcast has for buying Sprint, as I can imagine the thought of that happening might anger some people here on S4GRU, which I don't want to happen, nor that particular merger to happen either.

I'd much rather see Google purchase Sprint, as Google already has established a connection with Sprint using Google Fi. A merger between the two shouldn't be difficult, and once established, I think there may just be a way for them to capture Dish. My theory is Google purchases Sprint, along the way, or even before it, Dish purchases T-Mobile, as Dish and T-Mobile have AWS spectrum (particularly here in Chicago where T-Mobile really needs it), and then there could be some form of a merger-like situation between all of them.

Dish, which wants to have a wireless setting established, can have a really good start with T-Mobile, whereas Google would do the same in expanding Fi with a purchase of Sprint. They could keep Fi open in some capacity, using T-Mobile as another network, in exchange for allowing Dish access to Sprint's network,for content usage, just without implementing spectrum on Sprint. The companies would legally be separate, but operate on shared networks as an advantage for Dish to have content views, and Google to have ad views, especially paired with Dish's content, where they could place ad spots.

So they get around an official merger while still having a merger-like environment. Big win for both companies and for consumers who will have more choices for wireless between both networks and Fi.

• Like 2

Google will never buy sprint.

maximus, if you are going to quote all of one of Arysyn's novel length posts just to reply with one or two lines, please do not bother.  Save yourself the trouble -- and staff the trouble of going in and removing your needlessly long quote.

AJ

• Like 1

Google will never buy sprint.

maximus, if you are going to quote all of one of Arysyn's novel length posts just to reply with one or two lines, please do not bother.  Save yourself the trouble -- and staff the trouble of going in and removing your needlessly long quote.

AJ

At least I didn't write a several paragraph long novel "How Sprint will buy Google". That certainly would be a problem.

At least I didn't write a several paragraph long novel "How Sprint will buy Google". That certainly would be a problem.

I don't believe AJ was being critical of your post. The proper forum etiquette at S4GRU is to not quote an entire lengthy post unless you are really addressing points throughout the quoted post.

It is asinine and annoying to all the other readers to quote such a long post. Especially with just a single line response.

It is best when quoting a long post to truncate it to only the pertinent part you are responding to or just the first line. This is what AJ is calling out lou99 for doing.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 6

I don't believe AJ was being critical of your post. The proper forum etiquette at S4GRU is to not quote an entire lengthy post unless you are really addressing points throughout the quoted post.

It is asinine and annoying to all the other readers to quote such a long post. Especially with just a single line response.

It is best when quoting a long post to truncate it to only the pertinent part you are responding to or just the first line. This is what AJ is calling out lou99 for doing.

Hi Robert,

Actually I understood what AJ meant, just saw this as an opportunity to turn my own post around had I written it the other way, which I'd be completely open to criticism for, as I can't see anyone thinking that Sprint would purchase Google.

I am guessing that the US business model maybe changing from what it was doing.....merger merger merger....

While I see some still going through (all be it on the small side) I think the FCC and the like have shown the big ones will be met with harsh opposition.  See Comcast/Time Warner, and AT&T/T-MO..

Maybe its just similar companies, OR maybe itll be size  Google/Sprint (I think there are enough people that are irritated with how big Google is, it would never fly)  although in light of the Direct/AT&T merger it could look very well at a Dish/T-MO...

If Masa is looking towards a world wide type set up....I think there will be some other "mergers" in the works and not a sell off

• Like 1

What's the possibility of sprint being broken down. As in divesting some spectrum to google, getting some from dish, and somehow giving google some mvno subs.

Then some type of merger with dish and Tmo. While bringing in a google wireless, and renaming itself Softbank??

Far stretch but it might get past the fcc.. Google supporting it I don't see how it wouldn't. Besides they could keep certain bands divest or sell off others to buy 600, however with sprints 800 Tmo 700 I think they would be ok.

Just crazy thinking

What's the possibility of sprint being broken down. As in divesting some spectrum to google, getting some from dish, and somehow giving google some mvno subs.

Then some type of merger with dish and Tmo. While bringing in a google wireless, and renaming itself Softbank??

Far stretch but it might get past the fcc.. Google supporting it I don't see how it wouldn't. Besides they could keep certain bands divest or sell off others to buy 600, however with sprints 800 Tmo 700 I think they would be ok.

Just crazy thinking

Zero chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero chance.

Didn't someone said the same thing when a tech blogger proposed that Google buy Motorola or Nokia about a year or two before it actually happened. Never say Never. Crazier things have happened.

TS

• Like 1

Seriously? Have we learned nothing from Googlorola?

What should we have learned? As far as I'm concerned, Googlorola did as much as I could have wanted - Motorola phones got revitalized, UI elements became sane, and they took a giant leap forward at least in my mental market share model when it came to android phones.

• Like 3

There are several points that I would like to make regarding Dish and any possible merger or partnership.  

First off, charlie is an egomaniac... this makes it unlikely that he will let someone buy his company out from under himself unless they severely overpay (I am assuming he likes money, lol).  Either that, or if he was going to be kept on to run the combined company, he might agree to a merger.  

He probably also has a ridiculously high NPV of his current assets and the would be reluctant to sell/swap them unless the deal was lopsided in his favor.  

Second, I am not sure what type of available finances he has. He spent a decent amount on the last spectrum auction and I remember when he was forcing up the price of sprint, there were several questions about his ability to raise the funds necessary for the purchase.  So, if he does make a play for merging/purchasing, it will probably leave little funds to build out his new network.

Maybe a 51% bid for T-Mobile so that DT was no longer majority owner and charlie could integrate Dish spectrum... but I see a partnerships as a much more likely solution.  

Third, I believe that google developed project Fi so that they could gain data about customer habits and work on software that allows for a more seamless wireless experience that fully automates moving between networks (sprint, WiFi & T-Mobile) and provides customers more transparency about their wireless usage.  I do not think they want a company that is mired in debt because they can use the network without purchasing it.  Plus they are probably using both networks not only for the coverage benefits from parts that do not overlap and providing the best speed at any location, but also to play one off the other to drive their price/GB down.  Unless they really think that having a true wireless carrier will be a strategic advantage to sell their products, Ads, or promote Android... why would they.  Even purchasing Motorola was mainly about the patents and caused a lot of problems with  other OEM's... but the big problem I saw was that they were not great at managing a hardware company, even if they always planned on selling the handset business, they did not add value to the company during their ownership. I know this can, and probably will be debated, but the handset business was sold to lenovo for 2.91b.  I know they purchased it for 12.5b and also sold off the set-top business, but those were some expensive patents.  

The same might happen if they purchase a company like sprint or t-mobile, so I think they will remain partners with Fi and nothing else. 

Comcast would be an interesting suiter as they seem to have the cash, but as is the same with Dish, they would be looking for a way to push content into mobile.   I don't know if they would be looking to compete with verizon/At&t, or just focus on metro areas and bundling their existing services.  

We can all hope & wish for a combination that will be transformative in the industry from a consumer perspective, but it would have to have the possibility of profit for a company to spend $$$.  Only time will tell. 

• Like 2

I want to see Dish developing their own network using Artemis Networks technologies. That would be truly disruptive. Or Comcast and in general cable using Artemis Networks and EBS spectrum for video and VOLTE.

• Like 1

I want to see Dish developing their own network using Artemis Networks technologies. That would be truly disruptive. Or Comcast and in general cable using Artemis Networks and EBS spectrum for video and VOLTE.

If Artemis is truly the cats meow, we'll see carriers not dish get first dibs.

Dish and its unsupported aws2, aws4 and no customers won't be a high priority for Artemis.

I've read into the Artemis ideas, and I think it sounds great, and am hoping it works out really well, especially as it sounds like an excellent relief solution to network congestion.

After all, it is what I had in mind to work well with my rate plan ideas, as I'm hoping the technology will help either to drive down the per GB data rate, or possibly to give carriers a reason to keep unlimited data around. Perhaps even with the added benefit of having unlimited tethering.

I've read into the Artemis ideas, and I think it sounds great, and am hoping it works out really well, especially as it sounds like an excellent relief solution to network congestion.

After all, it is what I had in mind to work well with my rate plan ideas, as I'm hoping the technology will help either to drive down the per GB data rate, or possibly to give carriers a reason to keep unlimited data around. Perhaps even with the added benefit of having unlimited tethering.

I don't see unlimited tethering happening at all on any carrier. Unlimited device data is hanging on by a thread. Only Sprint and T-Mobile is offering it. The big 2 is having a hard time keep up with the demand even with the majority of their users on shared data plans.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I don't see unlimited tethering happening at all on any carrier. Unlimited device data is hanging on by a thread. Only Sprint and T-Mobile is offering it. The big 2 is having a hard time keep up with the demand even with the majority of their users on shared data plans.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I agree that in the current state of wireless and even in the future state of wireless without some sort of revolutionary way of technologically reducing congestion greatly, such as Artemis, unlimited data likely will go away. This is why I've been trying to think of rate plan ideas to help give a better value to per GB data plans, as the current ones are not a sufficient replacement for unlimited plans.

Carriers pay for more and more backhaul so customers can unlimited tether and stream? I don't see that happening. At best, it can prolong unlimited smartphone usage.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Carriers pay for more and more backhaul so customers can unlimited tether and stream? I don't see that happening. At best, it can prolong unlimited smartphone usage.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Considering what is being said about pcell, it sounds as if unlimited data with unlimited tethering might be possible without severely affecting the network using pcell, though it awaits to be seen how this will work in real conditions/situations.

Considering what is being said about pcell, it sounds as if unlimited data with unlimited tethering might be possible without severely affecting the network using pcell, though it awaits to be seen how this will work in real conditions/situations.

If you put more and more throughput through the airlink interface, the more and more backhaul is needed to supply the site. Otherwise, backhaul will become a bottleneck.

If you put more and more throughput through the airlink interface, the more and more backhaul is needed to supply the site. Otherwise, backhaul will become a bottleneck.

I'd imagine, or at least hope that if/when pcell is available, there would be enough of an advantage to it, besides just technically, but also financially, to where enough backhaul could be implemented to support the technical advantages to pcell. Although with the current cell technologies, there certainly are many problems to tethering on a moderate to massive scale.

I'd imagine, or at least hope that if/when pcell is available, there would be enough of an advantage to it, besides just technically, but also financially, to where enough backhaul could be implemented to support the technical advantages to pcell. Although with the current cell technologies, there certainly are many problems to tethering on a moderate to massive scale.

It's technically possible to provide the backhaul. My point is there is real and legitimate cost for that. And it could limit an all out unlimited tethering orgy. It will come down to economics.

It's technically possible to provide the backhaul. My point is there is real and legitimate cost for that. And it could limit an all out unlimited tethering orgy. It will come down to economics.

Very true indeed,