WIN A 2014 MOTO X2!!! Motorola X2 Activation Help-Fund-Us Contest

S4GRU

CLOSED!!!  NO MORE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.  DRAWING TO BE SCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY, DECEMBER 11TH.  STAY TUNED TO THIS THREAD FOR UPDATES!

gallery_1_23_19023.jpg

Slate Gray with S4GRU Yellow Accents.  32GB

LIMITED TIME PROMOTION!!!  YOU COULD POSSIBLY WIN A MOTOROLA X2 THAT MAY END UP BEING USABLE ON THE SPRINT NETWORK

The Goal

As most of you know, Sprint does not offer the Moto X2 for sale.  S4GRU wants to purchase a Sprint Triband capable Moto X2 (Motorola X 2nd Generation 2014) and see if we are able to get it working on the Sprint network.  This is a staff project to try to prove a concept that could benefit S4GRU members and other Sprint customers.

The Plan

To purchase a Moto X 2nd Generation 2014 that is technically Sprint Triband capable (but not sold and authorized by Sprint) and try to get it to activate on a Sprint account.  By either using a CSIM or by getting the device successfully whitelisted.  Then testing and providing a how to article for our members who will want to do the same.

The Raffle

After we complete the project, we will give the device to one lucky financial contributor to this S4GRU Help-Fund-Us request.  If we are able to raise more money than the device costs us, we will add the proceeds to the general fund.  If we can't raise enough, we may cancel the project and refund everyone their money.

The winner will be picked after we complete the project.  Which will likely take several weeks.  You will get the device either way, whether successful or not.  You can always donate it to my collection if you don't want it.   :tu:

Each donation to the MOTO X2 PROMO will receive a range of numbers, equating to one number for every dollar you donate.  The minimum donation to the cause is $10.  If you donate $10, you get a range of 10 numbers.  If you donate $100, you get a range of 100 numbers.  The more you donate the greater your chances of winning.  There is no limit to the amount you can donate...in amount or frequency.  But it needs to be at least $10 per donation to the MOTO X2 PROMO.

You will receive a Private Message from S4GRU giving you your numbers after your donation.  Most likely within 8-12 hours.

We will stop accepting donations at 2PM Eastern on Wednesday, December 10th.  Any donations received after that time will not be counted toward this promotion.  I will announce when we will hold the drawing...we will do it in a live chat setting.  Date and time to be announced.  We will select a number at random using my random number generator app in my Nexus 5.

To Enter CONTEST CLOSED FOR NEW ENTRIES

Go to the S4GRU PayPal Donation section by clicking on this hyperlink or by going to the S4GRU Main Forums Page and clicking the donate button in the upper right hand corner.  Enter an amount you want to donate for this promotion, minimum $10.  In the notes section, tell us your screen name and type MOTO X2 PROMO.  If you forget to do that in the PayPal donation, then send me a Message.  You will get a message response giving you your raffle numbers by 4 PM Eastern on 12/10/2014.  If you don't get them, message me.

Rules

S4GRU Membership is not required to enter.  S4GRU Staff Members are ineligible to win, but can donate money to the cause if they like.  Final colors selected are Slate Gray back, Black front and Yellow accent color.  Dollars spent on the promotion do not count toward upgrades as the money raised is not likely to benefit S4GRU financially.  There is no cash value of the prize.  S4GRU will pay the shipping costs to the winner.  The item will not be new when received, as it will have been used by S4GRU for activation and testing purposes.  But we work hard to keep the item pristine and as close to new condition as possible.  Hopefully without any noticeable wear or damage.  There is no guarantee that the final outcome will be that the device will be able to be activated on a Sprint account, and may not be activatable on any network.  A Republic Wireless account may be required for usage.  This contest is void where prohibited and residents outside the United States are not eligible to win, but may donate money to the cause if they like.  The contest may be subject to amendment or cancellation as necessary.

Edited by S4GRU
Added actual colors, 32GB Memory Size and Final Deadline
  • Like 14

There is normally a 1 year, 2-way "embargo" that Sprint has arbitrarily implemented to prevent retail (SPCS) & wholesale (PLBL) devices moving from one database to the other. Before this embargo lifts, MVNOs are prohibited from attempting to change the ownership code of the device. So I wouldn't expect Republic Wireless to help with that.

That said, the purported purpose of the embargo is to prevent subsidized flagship/"hero" devices from leaving Sprint. Since this particular device will apparently not be sold directly by Sprint, you may have some luck if you call ticket support and convince them to ask the network IT team to release the MEID. It has to be a particular IT team that they send it off to, as the one that normally processes ClickIT tickets for IL-liable accounts can't or won't do it. Definitely possible, but I certainly don't envy the task. Good luck!

• Like 1

There is normally a 1 year, 2-way "embargo" that Sprint has arbitrarily implemented to prevent retail (SPCS) & wholesale (PLBL) devices moving from one database to the other. Before this embargo lifts, MVNOs are prohibited from attempting to change the ownership code of the device. So I wouldn't expect Republic Wireless to help with that.

That said, the purported purpose of the embargo is to prevent subsidized flagship/"hero" devices from leaving Sprint. Since this particular device will apparently not be sold directly by Sprint, you may have some luck if you call ticket support and convince them to ask the network IT team to release the MEID. It has to be a particular IT team that they send it off to, as the one that normally processes ClickIT tickets for IL-liable accounts can't or won't do it. Definitely possible, but I certainly don't envy the task. Good luck!

We may be able to buy it from a source other than Republic Wireless.  I am running down that possibility now.  Because that may even be better.

• Like 2

I am in for $10 -- even though I am ineligible to win, probably will run the experiment, and definitely will write the article.

:P

AJ

• Like 8

For further reference, everyone, this 2014 Moto X XT1094 variant is the one that I wrote about on The Wall back in September:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-373-teaser-x-marks-the-spot-for-the-first-sprint-ccarrpp-fully-compliant-handset/

For CDMA2000 and LTE, it is fully Sprint/CCA/RRPP compliant -- plus AT&T band 17 support.  In this regard, it is much like the Nexus 6 -- absent VZW band 13 support and Canada band 7 support.  Additionally, this Moto X variant does support all domestic GSM/W-CDMA bands, so it should be usable on both the Death Star and Magenta, too.

AJ

• Like 2

Here is an update.  As of last night, we were roughly one third funded.  Thanks to those who have already donated and received their raffle numbers.  If you have not yet donated or wish to donate more to improve your raffle odds, please do so soon -- because here is some good news.  The tri band 2014 Moto X variant is slated to become available from two of our potential sources tomorrow, December 10.  The sooner that we can get this project funded, the sooner we will get it started.

AJ

• Like 4

Count me in!

I am in     :tu:

But "Are You In?"

AJ

• Like 4

I am so in! Very excited to see that my message to you guys has turned into a full-press contest! Now, instead of trying this myself I can leave it up to the experts to do the heavy lifting :-).

One thing I will be interested in....I checked the specs on the version Republic Wireless was selling before I emailed you guys, and I knew that their version covered all of the Sprint bands. My understanding, though, was that the versions being sold by other carriers and direct had a different set of bands. That was why I was so excited about Republic Wireless's decision. It sounds as if you guys have found other versions of the phone not being sold by Republic Wireless that are also Spark enabled. Is that true?

Thanks again.

Jay 

We are nearly fully funded.  If you want to get in on the raffle, act fast.  Or if you want to put us over the top, make your donation soon.  I will likely pay for and order the device tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.  :fingers:

Click here to make donation.  Enter MOTO X2 PROMO in the Notes section.  Details in Original Post.

• Like 1

OK. We have crossed the threshold. We are funded. I will be ordering the phone today. If you want to enter still, I will take funds until 11 AM Pacific/2 PM Eastern 9 AM Pacific/12 Noon Eastern today. Any entries received after that will be refunded.

• Like 3

We decided to go with the 32GB Model and custom colors.  Slate Gray Back, Black Front with S4GRU Yellow Accent colors.  Because of the increased cost, we will extend for a few more hours.  We will close the deal at 11 AM Pacific/2 PM Eastern today.

gallery_1_23_19023.jpg

• Like 3

We decided to go with the 32GB Model and custom colors. Slate Gray Back, Black Front with S4GRU Yellow Accent colors. Because of the increased cost, we will extend for a few more hours. We will close the deal at 11 AM Pacific/2 PM Eastern today.

gallery_1_23_19023.jpg

Moto Maker on the "Sprint" version?

Sent from my Sprint LG G3

• Like 1

Moto Maker on the "Sprint" version?

There is no Sprint version.  But it is a version that is technically capable to run on all Sprint bands that we are attempting to activate on the Sprint network.

There is no Sprint version. But it is a version that is technically capable to run on all Sprint bands that we are attempting to activate on the Sprint network.

I get that, are you ordering the Republic one?