Google Nexus 6 by Motorola Users Thread

WiWavelength

Its really annoying

Tell me about it!   This phone has a serious bug with sending text messages while connected to LTE.  I'm using it on 3G now unless I need fast data.

There's a thread over at the Sprint message boards if you want somewhere to vent:  https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/179054?start=60&tstart=0

I can't tell if they are really taking the issue seriously or not.

Tell me about it!   This phone has a serious bug with sending text messages while connected to LTE.  I'm using it on 3G now unless I need fast data.

There's a thread over at the Sprint message boards if you want somewhere to vent:  https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/179054?start=60&tstart=0

I don't have this issue. My # is setup on google voice and merged into hangouts. Sends via google voice when on LTE/ehprd and SMS when roaming.

A week with the device and out of those 7 days, its been 3 days actually using it as my main go everywhere device.

I came in trying not to have a bias about it, knowing that it is not a Note with a digitizer stylus, that it can only be compared to a iPhone 6+ or a Mega due to its size. Spec wise it is like the Note (minus the digitizer and minus the Touchwiz overlay). And yet even with all the specs, I have the feeling it is more of a beta device than a full fledged flagship.

These are the quirks I've seen.

The SMS issue is one thing and the slight lag I've encountered is another that both can possibly be taken care of via an update.

The hoopla about getting the latest and greatest update in my opinion is overrated. I find it takes me longer to do a certain activity due to the lack of notification drop down controls.

I'm not really liking the new Material Design, but I am forcing myself to its flat Mac like look since eventually all devices will have to conform to it.

The notification bar while clean cut and nice looking, does not give me the option of customizing it to include toggles to certain settings I rather have shown. Although i could use xShortcut it still wouldn't be a drop down option.

Try as I may, I downloaded every shortcut maker in the play store, AnyCut (both versions), quickshortcut maker and xshortcut (what I usually use). The last two are better at editing and creating a shortcut and yet went through and could not find any Debug or LTE Engineering screen. The closest thing was the Sprint DM activities, Close, but no cigar.

I installed SignalCheck Pro but since I am not rooted (yet, and most likely won't if I return this thing), I can't test the reset connection feature. But I did take a screenshot of both screens (N6 on the left, Edge on the right).

The signals fluctuate on both devices, and are quite close to each other which is surprising since I was expecting the N6 to have better specs as per the Wall article.

Screenshot_2014-11-28-01.png Screenshot_2014-11-28-02%20Edge.png

The Wif-i is certainly way better on the N6. (At least visually it seems to capture a wi-fi signal better than the Note 4 and Note Edge.)

I can probably disregard any of the previous things mentioned but it is really driving me nuts that the back is not flat. True, it feels better in the hand due to the curve of the back but if placed on a table and trying to text, or select any app/control, the wobble is annoying. I want a phone not a weeble lol

The speakers sound better than the Note Edge but I attribute that to them being front facing.Wish all phones had dual front facing speakers.

Activating the device was a breeze as compared to the Note 4 and Edge.

No spinning LTE Walmart like Spark icon.

Camera is okay, I think it takes good images. I didn't experience any lag, camera wise, as some owners have mentioned in other forums. Although I can't figure out how to get to the Gallery or photos directly from the app like on the Note series. Maybe that is how it is.

I also like that the camera lens is protected from possible scratches due to its design. The Note 4 and Edge lens would touch the surface unless you get a case.

There is no way (that I can tell) to install the Sprint Zone app. There are other Sprint apps but I use the Sprint Zone since it has a good reporting feature and it doesn't show in the play store nor did it get installed at startup / activation time..

Will I keep it as a backup as I intended it to be? I honestly do not know. Maybe I am too much of a Samsung fanboy and I'm used to the different settings at my disposal and don't mind the Touchwiz UI, but seriously, I am seriously trying to like this device but I am finding it hard.

my 2 cents so far.

TS

• Like 3

Im contacting google now.  Seeing if there is an issue or sprint is just not taking us seriously.

Anybody else have signal issues? I.e. latching onto LTE and staying latched on? I set the phone down in my lap or on a table and it drops down to 3G... And even having strong LTE b25/26 signal I get stuck on 3G...

Size, price, engineering screen, SMS, etc.  Issues galore.

Stay away from the Nexus 6.  Bad, bad handset.  Mess you up!

AJ

• Like 2

Anybody else have signal issues? I.e. latching onto LTE and staying latched on? I set the phone down in my lap or on a table and it drops down to 3G... And even having strong LTE b25/26 signal I get stuck on 3G...

I can say the exact opposite. No band 26 in my area but it seems like I get more LTE now. Also it seems that when I drop to 3G it gets LTE back so much faster then the Nexus 5 did.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can say the exact opposite. No band 26 in my area but it seems like I get more LTE now. Also it seems that when I drop to 3G it gets LTE back so much faster then the Nexus 5 did.

ya the lack of engineering is sad but all in all a huge boost in perceived network quality after switching to the nexus 6. At home I was getting 1-3/mb now averaging 6-7 and dropping to 3g far less and recovering faster.

• Like 2

This phone is far from perfect, no engineering screen access does suck.

But all in all its heads and shoulders above the N5 in everyway. Especially radio scan times, it switches from 3g to LTE substantially quicker than the N5 besides the fact that it just has better overall signal.

Most bugs will most likely be squashed with a few updates. But none of those bugs would make me switch to a Samsung device..no knock at you spirits.

Great cam

Front facing speakers

Latest android version, lollipop has massive amounts of hidden goodies.

Overall excellent device.

• Like 4

Size, price, engineering screen, SMS, etc. Issues galore.

Stay away from the Nexus 6. Bad, bad handset. Mess you up!

AJ

Well I wouldn't go that far. Like I said, most of the issues can get fixed in a future update. Size and price is subjective. If one doesn't like a stylus, or an overlay and wants pure Android, the Nexus is basically the best and (for the most part) the only device to get. All these flagships are price high and for the most part are huge. So like I said, price and size wouldn't matter. The part that is odd is the engineering screen missing. I hope I am wrong, but something tells me this is the way it will be in the future.

But none of those bugs would make me switch to a Samsung device..no knock at you spirits.

None taken. :)

my opinion is but a drop of water in an ocean. It's only what I have experienced so far. I still haven't decided whether to keep it or not. I only have one week to decide though.

TS

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't go that far. Like I said, most of the issues can get fixed in a future update.

The price and size obstacles will never go away.  But if you want a bellwether -- and I believe that I can speak for Robert in this regard -- he and I are not touching this "bad chicken" unless/until the aforementioned technical issues are resolved.  We are not shy about acquiring handsets, just not this one.  Honestly, it seems to occupy an undesirable middle ground:  too big and expensive for the general user, too gimped and glitchy for the wireless tech/network enthusiast.

AJ

• Like 2

Well I wouldn't go that far. Like I said, most of the issues can get fixed in a future update. Size and price is subjective. If one doesn't like a stylus, or an overlay and wants pure Android, the Nexus is basically the best and (for the most part) the only device to get. All these flagships are price high and for the most part are huge. So like I said, price and size wouldn't matter. The part that is odd is the engineering screen missing. I hope I am wrong, but something tells me this is the way it will be in the future.

None taken. :)

my opinion is but a drop of water in an ocean. It's only what I have experienced so far. I still haven't decided whether to keep it or not. I only have one week to decide though.

TS

This phone is far from perfect, no engineering screen access does suck.

But all in all its heads and shoulders above the N5 in everyway. Especially radio scan times, it switches from 3g to LTE substantially quicker than the N5 besides the fact that it just has better overall signal.

Most bugs will most likely be squashed with a few updates. But none of those bugs would make me switch to a Samsung device..no knock at you spirits.

Great cam

Front facing speakers

Latest android version, lollipop has massive amounts of hidden goodies.

Overall excellent device.

I agree with Nexgen, This is far from perfect, and the screen, and front facing dual speakers is what appeals to me as well as the update factor. The Note Edge is the future phablet, and had it come with the rural partner roaming I may have leaned more towards it. I am thinking Nexus 7 64 cpu may get me next year as well. Battery life depends on how its used I have made well over18 hours on a charge with calls surfing the web, and 10 minutes of Netflix, and a half hour of Google navigation. I have way bettter antenna signal than the N5 in my opinion as this gets LTE band 2600 inside my home where as the Nexus 5 did not. This seems to get stronger 3g signal than my N5 in my basment it does not drop calls like the N5 did.

There are bugs it is big dare I say almost too big, but as a daily driver I can surf the web, and watch Netflix on a larger screen, while recieving better antenna signal. The camera during the day is sharper the the N5, and people seem to hear me more clearly when I am on the head set, and while on the speaker and microphone. The screeen is not as bright as the N5 and when standing outside in the Sun light the N5 is defintiely brighter. The screen brightnessis almost a deal breaker, but there are more pluses than cons. "If" you would like fast updates that go beyond a year, and want a bigger screen this may be what you like. The round back feels good in the hand butr a solid case keeps it laying flat any way. The N6 is well built, and software flaws will be addressed as were they with thge N5 in the beginning.

What's Good:

Well built

Ergonomic feel albeit large size not for everyone Sammy: says Note 5 will sport a 6" screen too....go figure rofl

Screen real Estate plenty big

Gorgeous screen colors

Great for movies/browsing the web

Holds on to LTE, and recieves LTE better than the N5 per my having both on in places at same time

Dual front facing speakers louder then N5 by far

Clearer speaker phone mic feature

Stronger Wifi antenna

Should get Android updates longer than most other Android handsets

Better battery life

Notification display works well for me

Bad:

Bugs galore, Google Play loads sometime someitmes does not; certain apps freeze as does my phone dialer at times

Almost too big to handle; for many it is too big to handle

$648.00 for inaccurate screen is a crime

50 minutes less battery life than Note 4, but this has to light up a bigger screen realisticly speaking this is a wash because of a laregr screen size 

Notifications can been seen by anyone if they are not managed privacy goes out the door lol can be managed through prioritizing

Screen is not as bright as Nexus 5 and holding both device outside it really is apparent N5 outdoors way better

Screen sometimes appears yellow when surfing internet adaptive brightness may be culprit

These are the things that I have noticed, and experienced in my last week with the phone, and with software updates I feel that it will get better. I can live with the lower nit screen in lieu of the screen size and gorgeeous display, dual front facingspeakers, and better antenna performance. This definitely holds on to a signal far better than the N5, and when on speaker phone people don't say that I sound garbled any more. This is an in between phablet with excellent mutimedia capeabilities that may evolve as software bugs are eradicated. It could have been smaller, but iPhone needs a competitor and it best that 6+ in many ways.

Sammy says that the Note 5 will be 6" also so get use to larger phablets it seems inevitable. Anything larger than this is a deal breaker for me, but since I wear a size 12 ring and. can wrap my hand around the whole phone and touch middle finger to my thumb while doing this it's a go size wise for "me".

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

...I installed SignalCheck Pro but since I am not rooted (yet, and most likely won't if I return this thing), I can't test the reset connection feature. But I did take a screenshot of both screens (N6 on the left, Edge on the right).

The signals fluctuate on both devices, and are quite close to each other which is surprising since I was expecting the N6 to have better specs as per the Wall article.

Screenshot_2014-11-28-01.png Screenshot_2014-11-28-02%20Edge.png

The screen shots show two different sites.  How did the -RSRP compare when connected to the same site? (Ideally for each band.)  Thanks!!

• Like 1

Its been like that since I installed Signal check Pro on the Nexus. It didn't connect to the same site. In fact, the Not e 4 and the Note Edge do the same thing. I didn't even think of waiting for both to be on the same site.  I just placed both phones next to each other on the table and screenshot them. Reduced the size of the pics and posted them. 

I'll see if I can take further pics if they attach to the same site.

TS

• Like 1

After lollipop my nexus 5 will not give me engineering screen either. I think lollipop is the culprit

Engineering screens still work on my Nexus 5 running lollipop. Even the radio band select inside the radio menu works where as before it would auto crash every time on kit kat.

Foolish me I had a T-Mobile sim in when I tried. All good now.

Engineering screens still work on my Nexus 5 running lollipop. Even the radio band select inside the radio menu works where as before it would auto crash every time on kit kat.

• Like 2

Foolish me I had a T-Mobile sim in when I tried. All good now.

darn was hoping you were right about it being lollipop...  Oh well guess we will wait and see if someone can find the dang engineering screen codes/apk for the Nexus 6.  Time will tell.