Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That's what I've never understood about the LTE optimization issues. If all of the airlinks that cover an area are gonna be congested, why not at least put everyone on the most efficient airlink possible? I guess that's just Sprint trying to keep user perception of LTE as high as possible.

I understand the concept of what they're doing but to me it seems like a vicious circle. If you don't extend the reach of every LTE band as far as possible people will be falling back to 3G, and if people keep falling back to 3G then the CDMA network is gonna continue to see higher traffic, then spectrum won't be able to be reallocated to the congested LTE. Seems they need to just rip the band aid off already and fully commit to making sure LTE is in every corner of its footprint, slow or not.

• Like 3

We aren't going to get any news on the network anymore if we do its going to small tidbits. We all know that when Sprint opens their mouths about we are doing this and that. The media hold them to it more intensely than the other 3. So they are at a point where they aren't going to say anything and instead just let stuff pop up the within the network. At this point Sprint cannot take anymore blows when it comes to talking about the network and not delivering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint is going all-in on Copa America:

Sprint Provides Exclusive Free Access with No Data Charges to Every Live Match of 2016 Copa América Centenario with fuboTV

Also:

In addition, Sprint will conduct 5G demonstrations on June 3 and June 6 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara and on June 9, 11 and 14 at Lincoln Field in Philadelphia.

Anyone here planning to go?

More info on Sprint's Copa Sponsorship/Contests/Promotions here: https://www.sprint.com/copa

I thought you meant 15MHz PERIOD, not 15MHz FDD. That should be usable for refarm!

Not in a market like NYC, not in the short term. We'll see it eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I understand the concept of what they're doing but to me it seems like a vicious circle. If you don't extend the reach of every LTE band as far as possible people will be falling back to 3G, and if people keep falling back to 3G then the CDMA network is gonna continue to see higher traffic, then spectrum won't be able to be reallocated to the congested LTE. Seems they need to just rip the band aid off already and fully commit to making sure LTE is in every corner of its footprint, slow or not.

Sprint has already committed to getting LTE on their entire footprint. It will happen, and ripping the band aid off right now would ruin the experience for everyone.

Why break something that actually works perfectly now? The 1x network has become completely bulletproof, a level it has never seen. Calls just don't drop anymore, and voice capacity is in abundance. 

• Like 2

Looks like Sprint's Wireline side has made a strong turnaround since being launched as a separate division:

Sprint's Fitz on revamping wireline's identity, Ethernet, managed services growth

Fitz: It's nearly impossible to separate the wireline and wireless business because it's the same backbone. I don't know how you would do it and it's the core to running our wireless business, too. Wireless is my anchor tenant customer. It's very important that I serve that business and serve it well. There are selfish reasons to want to have a focus on wireline business that goes beyond our external customer business: it's to make sure I am investing in driving an efficiently run, cost effective core for the sake of wireless as well.

Fitz: It absolutely will, and we have already seen it. We've been operating this way for a few months, but it has taken us a while to carve out the team and get them focused. I have had some of my team members focused on this for a couple of months. April for us was our best month ever in the history of wireline in terms of selling new ports and circuits on our network. It has been in decline for a while, but in terms of new fiber-based Ethernet services it was our best month ever. We're confident of the indication of the focus on this business. It was also the best month of selling our managed services.

Very encouraging!.,..

• Like 1

Looks like the 2 Year Contract is being killed off on May 24th:

Sprint will kill off two-year contracts for the second time on May 24

Not available for new accounts

Yes (Reactive) for Upgrades and Add-a-line

How will this apply to Best Buy, Costco, etc.?

I perfer two year discount bc my firm will reimburse $200 for the upgrade.  They do not reimburse for installment billing. That is probably the only reason I don't like it.

• Like 3

Legacy customers can still do the 2 year, so no harm no foul.

• Like 4

For those that had any doubt about Sprint being all in on small cell deployment..

Big :tu: to atomic50 for the shots!!!

http://celltowerphotos.com/thumbnails.php?album=49

Wow, LA Metro is really starting to move along!

Interesting, because one of those sites is in a spot that isn't that terrible for coverage.  If that's the density they're going for, coverage is going to be great.

• Like 4

Interesting, because one of those sites is in a spot that isn't that terrible for coverage.  If that's the density they're going for, coverage is going to be great.

I want to be more positive, but there are a lot of pictures of the same location.  

• Like 2

I want to be more positive, but there are a lot of pictures of the same location.  

Yes, there are multiple pictures of each cell, but I see at least 7 distinct locations. All of which have been done in the last few weeks apparently. 

• Like 8

While it's true that the sites pictured are mostly clustered in and around the same area (K-Town), I wouldn't interpret these photos as a full list of sites that have been deployed.

The host of those pictures is not necessarily trying to catalog every site.  His motivation appears to be to show the aesthetics of cell site installations.  If you read his bio, you'll see that he's a "contract wireless planner" that advises governments around the country.

• Like 2

LA Metro needs these small cells badly.  Their macro network still needs a lot of work so hopefully these things can hold up in the mean time while they install more macro sites.

• Like 1

How much money is Sprint saving per year by not sponsoring NASCAR next year?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The original deal (made by nextel) was $750m over 10 years i.e. $75m a year but Sprint talked them down to $50m a year in 2011.

• Like 3

Verizon SIMs only seem to allow that for 90 days at a time, at which point a new SIM is needed.

- Trip

I saw your post about that, and I can't confirm it; mine has been working longer.

As if on cue, mine stopped working today. Who has cheap Verizon SIM cards? Walmart only has a $50 activation kit.

As if on cue, mine stopped working today. Who has cheap Verizon SIM cards? Walmart only has a $50 activation kit.

Got mine on eBay.  I think I paid $6 or so.

- Trip

• Like 1

The original deal (made by nextel) was $750m over 10 years i.e. $75m a year but Sprint talked them down to $50m a year in 2011.

NASCAR skews so Southern, redneck, and blue collar that it is not a great demographic from a business standpoint.

My father was on a regional car dealer advertising board that explored being a high level sponsor at the Kansas Speedway but declined because the demographic was not worth the expense.

That said, the Nextel sponsorship made sense when Direct Connect still was a thing, since PTT fit in with the NASCAR "pit row" mindset and fan lifestyle.  Not to mention, between Nextel and SouthernLINC, iDEN had a pretty fine coverage footprint in the Southeast.

AJ

• Like 7