Sprint to join Rural Operators Roaming Hub (CCA and RRPP thread)

marioc21

Does the rrpp include the 3G networks as fully native too?

According to the new Wall Article :

"We recently have received verification from a Sprint executive, who will remain anonymous, that the coverage with the RRPP providers will be treated as native. Fully native. When you are on these rural partner networks, it will be like you are on your Sprint LTE coverage and all your normal account usages will be allowed."

LTE may be no different from EVDO in this case I hope.

• Like 1

Does the rrpp include the 3G networks as fully native too?

It's my understanding that the agreements also pertain to 3G and voice.  But the kicker is that many RRRP members do not run CDMA networks and they may be limited to LTE (and possibly VoLTE in the future).

Robert

It's my understanding that the agreements also pertain to 3G and voice.  But the kicker is that many RRRP members do not run CDMA networks and they may be limited to LTE (and possibly VoLTE in the future).

Robert

if some are counting to use sprints spectrum, cant they just use the NV panels from the vendors and add the 1x 800 for voice? 

if some are counting to use sprints spectrum, cant they just use the NV panels from the vendors and add the 1x 800 for voice? 

They sure could.  I don't know any details about that, though.

Robert

Robert

Even if they do not run CDMA, couldnt phones be unlocked with a firmware update to allow GSM/WCDMA connections in those areas?

• Like 1

Even if they do not run CDMA, couldnt phones be unlocked with a firmware update to allow GSM/WCDMA connections in those areas?

It would be possible, yes.  But that would only be effective for a few devices.

Robert

It would be possible, yes.  But that would only be effective for a few devices.

Robert

Ah Maybe future devices will include Both GSM and CDMA bands ready for use. Wouldn't be surprising. I thought Most phones come with GSM/Wcdma 850 cellular, and PCS ready for use internationally? 

• Like 1

It's my understanding that the agreements also pertain to 3G and voice. But the kicker is that many RRRP members do not run CDMA networks and they may be limited to LTE (and possibly VoLTE in the future).

Robert

That makes sense. It will be nice to see Next-Tec back as native coverage. I was pretty impressed with their network when I was roaming on them earlier this year.

That makes sense. It will be nice to see Next-Tec back as native coverage. I was pretty impressed with their network when I was roaming on them earlier this year.

Even when Nextech dropped off SRA, Nextech handled any potential dispute with maturity, as did Sprint. *cough*Pioneer*cough*

Ah Maybe future devices will include Both GSM and CDMA bands ready for use. Wouldn't be surprising. I thought Most phones come with GSM/Wcdma 850 cellular, and PCS ready for use internationally? 

Yes, although the firmware on Sprint devices is usually is set up to deny access to US GSM/WCDMA networks (or at least those of the major carriers). However, with Sprint's pledge to sell unlockable phones going forward from Feb 2015 there will be a bigger pool of devices that can access WCDMA/GSM in the U.S. beyond the Nexus 5 (which is always unlocked, even if sold by Sprint) and possibly a few others. Plus they're going to need 2G/3G voice access on the new Band 4+12 capable devices to give voice coverage in roaming areas without VoLTE. In any event I do think Sprint should at least put in place the GSM/WCDMA roaming arrangements now even if not everyone benefits right away.

• Like 8

I don't see how us cellular (USCC) would fit here. They overlap with sprint in several places and compete. If they went full native for sprint, why would one even bother getting a USCC plan? I would think that would be one of the major obstacles in their negotiations with sprint.

I don't see how us cellular (USCC) would fit here. They overlap with sprint in several places and compete. If they went full native for sprint, why would one even bother getting a USCC plan? I would think that would be one of the major obstacles in their negotiations with sprint.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.  I am sure they will work out some sort of agreement with them, but I think it will be as just a CCA member.  I would be satisfied with a 500MB - 1GB roaming allotment with them though. 

I'm still hoping for them to be a RRPP member though.  USCC coverage treated as native would be great around here.  Also, it would give Sprint an instant upgrade in LTE coverage in many areas the day they start it up compared to a lot of these RRPP members that won't have strong LTE networks for awhile. 

• Like 1

OK stupid question time.

I've skimmed through pretty much all the entries on this thread and have seen some mentioning of requiring new devices in order to support Band 12 and maybe a few other bands, but lets say RRPP members and Sprint switch on LTE roaming today.  I'm sure its dependent upon the LTE setup of each of the RRPP members, but what current devices, if any, would be able to take advantage of the roaming?

OK stupid question time.

I've skimmed through pretty much all the entries on this thread and have seen some mentioning of requiring new devices in order to support Band 12 and maybe a few other bands, but lets say RRPP members and Sprint switch on LTE roaming today.  I'm sure its dependent upon the LTE setup of each of the RRPP members, but what current devices, if any, would be able to take advantage of the roaming?

That question cannot be answered -- unless you do define the band(s) in use.  Band 2, band 4, band 5, band 12, band 25, band 26, band 41?

AJ

Like I said, stupid question.

I suppose once the roaming agreements are in place we will have a better understanding of what bands Sprint will be roaming on and then be able to match up current device capabilities with those bands.

Edited by AppleFanBoy

Like I said, stupid question.

I suppose once the roaming agreements are in place we will have a better understanding of what bands Sprint will be roaming on and then be able to match up current device capabilities with those bands.

Most/all RRPP members will be using Sprint's spectrum holdings, so all Sprint LTE devices will be compatible.  But that deployment is sometime in the future, not today.  If hypothetically roaming were switched on today, it would be band 2, band 4, band 5, and/or band 12.  The Nexus 5 is the only Sprint handset that could support band 2, band 4, and band 5 -- but not band 12.  The other dual band (iPhone) and tri band Sprint handsets could support band 2 and band 5 -- since those are subsets of band 25 and band 26, respectively -- but only if MFBI were enabled.

AJ

I am very interested in Bluegrass Cellular's involvement in this.  Where I live in Central Kentucky they have a huge LTE presence and curiously enough the iPhone 5S model used for Sprint is the same model listed on Apple's site that supports Bluegrass Cellular for supported LTE and not the Verizon model.

It would be nice if Sprint and BC executed a roaming agreement and hopefully would only require a iPhone update to allow for roaming.

I am very interested in Bluegrass Cellular's involvement in this.  Where I live in Central Kentucky they have a huge LTE presence and curiously enough the iPhone 5S model used for Sprint is the same model listed on Apple's site that supports Bluegrass Cellular for supported LTE and not the Verizon model.

It would be nice if Sprint and BC executed a roaming agreement and hopefully would only require a iPhone update to allow for roaming.

I clearly was not thinking straight when I wrote my previous post.  Yes, the Sprint variant iPhone 5S/5C would be in the same boat as the Nexus 5 -- other than missing band 41.  However, I do not know how the Apple carrier bundles affect LTE band capability.

AJ

Thanks! What does it do? Haha

-Anthony

I believe- and someone correct me if I'm wrong- it's a network thing that allows band super and subsets to connect to the band. For instance, Sprint could enable MFBI for Band 25 that would allow a Band 2 device to connect (provided you've deployed the spectrum for LTE in the A-F blocks).

• Like 1

I believe- and someone correct me if I'm wrong- it's a network thing that allows band super and subsets to connect to the band. For instance, Sprint could enable MFBI for Band 25 that would allow a Band 2 device to connect (provided you've deployed the spectrum for LTE in the A-F blocks).

That's what I was thinking it was. Awesome! Thanks!

-Anthony

• Like 1

Out of nowhere, Blue Wireless is participating in this. Blue's network has been pretty bad up until this point only offering 1x service. What I don't understand is that Blue's coverage is only cities. Cities that Sprint covers nonetheless. 

In New York:

• Binghamton
  • Buffalo
  • Elmira
  • Jamestown
  • Dunkirk
  • Niagara Falls

In Pennsylvania:

• Scranton
  • Wilkes-Barre

All have native Sprint coverage and some have 4G LTE. I'm in Scranton and we definitely have Network Vision rolled out here. Blue's plans beat everyone else though. $46 for everything including unlimited high-speed data. Blue definitely runs its own network too. 

• Like 1