Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

So NTelos announced today that it will use Alcatel-Lucent equipment in it's LTE deployment plans. Here's the story and the new release:

Fierwireless:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/ntelos-launch-lte-year-using-alcatel-lucent-gear/2013-03-27

Press release:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/press-releases/ntelos-wireless-launch-4g-lte-services-using-alcatel-lucent-technology-sele

Sounds like it's similar equipment to what Sprint's using in NV.

Only relevant to Sprint customers because Ntelos is the roaming partner that Sprint uses in southwest Virginia and other rural areas in WV, Ohio and others.

No details about when Ntelos plans to switch on LTE or what frequencies it plans to use.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't even think nTelos has even started building LTE yet.  If that's the case or they just started, expect LTE in most areas in a couple of years.  It's also entirely possible for Sprint to overbuild in nTelos areas if they are not able to come to an agreement.

Either Sprint will overbuild or the agreement with nTelos will be renewed.  I doubt Sprint would leave an entire state without some kind of native coverage at all, even if it is just around the interstates.

• 1 month later...

A news article from a few weeks ago... but provides some insight...

http://www.rcrwireless.com/article/20130819/carriers/ntelos-stock-plunges-on-sprint-overbuild-concerns/

FBR Capital noted in a research report that Sprint was currently on track to build out LTE coverage in portions of Ntelos’ markets beginning as early as next year. Ntelos is currently a roaming partner with Sprint, providing CDMA services to Sprint customers that roam into its markets as well as tapping Sprint for nationwide roaming coverage. FBR added that the overbuild could be accomplished in conjunction with regional operator Shenandoah Telecommunications.

Still doesn't seem to have sped anything up.

• 1 month later...

So I got a message from Sprint today, telling me about how they're building my city a whole new network. I would assume that means NV is taking place? Service has been down almost every other day and my speeds are improving when it is up (went from .40 down to about 1.6- 2.3 down here recently. No improved upload speeds though, still around .15), I was just wondering if anybody had more information for me, like how long it may take, and when I should start to see LTE pop up.

I'm located in Beckley, WV. Didn't see any WV thread so I just posted here to see where it got me...

So I got a message from Sprint today, telling me about how they're building my city a whole new network. I would assume that means NV is taking place? Service has been down almost every other day and my speeds are improving when it is up (went from .40 down to about 1.6- 2.3 down here recently. No improved upload speeds though, still around .15), I was just wondering if anybody had more information for me, like how long it may take, and when I should start to see LTE pop up.

I'm located in Beckley, WV. Didn't see any WV thread so I just posted here to see where it got me...

It looks like your area is covered by nTelos, which is a roaming partner with Sprint. Sprint treats their network as native for Sprint users, and nTelos customers can use the nationwide Sprint network. 

nTelos is planning an LTE upgrade, but we have very little information on that, so unfortunately I don't have many answers for you.

Since you are in nTelo's area, the best thing I can suggest is to start watching the towers in your area. Watch for activity, take photos and notes, and share them in this thread.  Look at the various equipment spotting threads. Even if you aren't sure exactly what you are seeing, there are people on this forum who are really good at it.

Since you are in nTelo's area, the best thing I can suggest is to start watching the towers in your area. Watch for activity, take photos and notes, and share them in this thread.  Look at the various equipment spotting threads. Even if you aren't sure exactly what you are seeing, there are people on this forum who are really good at it.

I'll get right on it! Thanks!

• Like 2

Yeah there's been some speculation that Sprint is just building their own network out in Ntelos areas and dropping them as a "native roaming" partner... they are the last remaining company with this sort of deal, and it sounds like they are on their way out... So either Ntelos is moving along with LTE all quietly, or Sprint really is "building a new network" in your area lol

Yeah there's been some speculation that Sprint is just building their own network out in Ntelos areas and dropping them as a "native roaming" partner... they are the last remaining company with this sort of deal, and it sounds like they are on their way out... So either Ntelos is moving along with LTE all quietly, or Sprint really is "building a new network" in your area lol

I thought about that, if it was nTelos quietly deploying LTE and upgrading all the surrounding towers, why would I get a message from Sprint themselves? I saw someone on one of Sprint's own forums say that a Sprint representative told them that they are supposed to launch LTE on the 25th of this month. Also stating it would change our "Sprint coverage - Signal strength varies" status to actual "Sprint service" on their coverage map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat only I'm in Morgantown. nTelos does not provide much information but I have heard that nTelos first LTE test markets will be Beckley/Bluefield along with Waynesboro VA. So maybe this isn't a Sprint overbuild and an actual nTelos upgrade.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Honestly, as long as I can get an LTE signal and actually use my phone, I don't care where it's coming from. Just give it to me ASAP!

Sprint threatened to overbuild if they didn't come to a new agreement, but they did make that agreement so as far as we know, no overbuild is going to occure. nTelos will be doing an LTE upgrade, but we just don't have any insight into the timeline.

Honestly, as long as I can get an LTE signal and actually use my phone, I don't care where it's coming from. Just give it to me ASAP!

Since we don't have tower locations for the nTelos network, best thing you can do to help us out is track down places where you have very strong signals, and see if you can get shots of towers/cell sites nearby. We may be able to identify if there are any NV-type upgrades going on. 

• Like 1

There is one lone native Sprint site down in Beckley, never been able to figure out why it's there, but perhaps this tower is being upgraded since all the rest of the native Sprint towers in WV are currently being deployed (up near Parkersburg off of I-77). If you become a sponsor you'll have access to the map that would show you exactly where that tower is located.

Sprint threatened to overbuild if they didn't come to a new agreement, but they did make that agreement so as far as we know, no overbuild is going to occure. nTelos will be doing an LTE upgrade, but we just don't have any insight into the timeline.

Since we don't have tower locations for the nTelos network, best thing you can do to help us out is track down places where you have very strong signals, and see if you can get shots of towers/cell sites nearby. We may be able to identify if there are any NV-type upgrades going on.

Will do, I already know of a few towers. Probably tomorrow/this weekend I will get some shots!

There is one lone native Sprint site down in Beckley, never been able to figure out why it's there, but perhaps this tower is being upgraded since all the rest of the native Sprint towers in WV are currently being deployed (up near Parkersburg off of I-77). If you become a sponsor you'll have access to the map that would show you exactly where that tower is located.

On sprint coverage map there are a lot of weird cut off points going from sprint coverage to nTelos land coverage. Just like angular lines, and parts where just the outside edge of a coverage area is under actual sprint coverage. It's very strange. I'll donate tomorrow and put up some shots to further help.

Got some shots today, I'll upload them as soon as I'm home. Got to one tower and upon taking pictures I noticed the workers actually up on the tower. And after some waiting they began to hoist up what looked like more radios. Looks like the AL radios installed but I'm not certain. Hopefully the promise of LTE tomorrow is true!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

These were the photos I could get today, got front and back of what look to be new panels, and to my surprise there was actually a crew working on the tower. I hope I got something, any tips let me know so I can get better photos for you guys.

• Like 1

I can't say the antenna panels look familiar, but the RRU they are hoisting up in the last picture sure looks like an Alcatel-Lucent 800 RRU!

You may have gotten the first proof that nTelos has started with NV upgrades! :o

• Like 3

I can't say the antenna panels look familiar, but the RRU they are hoisting up in the last picture sure looks like an Alcatel-Lucent 800 RRU!

You may have gotten the first proof that nTelos has started with NV upgrades! :o

Well yay point for me!!! A friend of mine who works at nTelos said to expect LTE activations to start between tomorrow (10/25) and the 1st of November. I think I'll take a second trip to that tower this weekend once they have what is hopefully the 800mhz RRU's installed! Maybe more goodies will be revealed as well!

• Like 1