will sprint be expanding coverage in cities that have outgrown it?

I was wondering if you guys had any insight on this. I understand they're redoing the existing towers but many cities have grown since sprint last did much with the network infrastructure and the fringes are either on the edge of coverage & weak or completely outside Sprint's coverage. Will sprint ever expand in these types of areas? Any guess when?

• Like 2

I was wondering if you guys had any insight on this. I understand they're redoing the existing towers but many cities have grown since sprint last did much with the network infrastructure and the fringes are either on the edge of coverage & weak or completely outside Sprint's coverage. Will sprint ever expand in these types of areas? Any guess when?

Well for cities that have service already, they will expand the area with 800 that got from shutting down the nextel network, and honestly we will just see what they do after network vision is close to done. Now that they are owned by softbank. I can see them expanding a lot, Softbank wants to attack the big two. They have done a good job overseas, so I can see it happening in the usa too.

• Like 2

I think Sprint is adding new sites here and there, but nothing too significant. Just my theory, but I think Sprint will look to finish Network Vision with 1900MHz, 800MHz & 2.5GHz coverage; look at any potential acquisitions, then look at what they have coverage-wise and evaluate where they might need to add cell sites from there.

• Like 2

Didn't the Softbank CEO say Sprint would eventually match Verizon's coverage?

From what I remember and found it article too. He wants to make the network to be the worlds best, I honestly dont think they will bulid base stations in a lot of areas that they dont have coverage now. But hey, if he proves me wrong. I am not again that :). I honestly think they will just buy a small companies to expand there network.

From what I remember and found it article too. He wants to make the network to be the worlds best, I honestly dont think they will bulid base stations in a lot of areas that they dont have coverage now. But hey, if he proves me wrong. I am not again that :). I honestly think they will just buy a small companies to expand there network.

Buying companies only works short term, they'll have to upgrade the hardware to meet NV specs so why not just buy space on existing towers?

• Like 1

Buying companies only works short term, they'll have to upgrade the hardware to meet NV specs so why not just buy space on existing towers?

There are many reasons to buy rather than build. First, a new tower is a quarter million to put up, so if you multiply that by how many towers need to be in an area to call it good coverage... It gets pricey. Leasing space is an option, but remember the equipment is a huge part of the cost, it mainly just avoids time to find the land/clear government hurdles/build etc.

Remember also after they build and have spent all that money, they have no customers! They must advertise and offer special promotions to get people to switch. And build their customer base 1 person at a time. THIS IS DIFFICULT.

Now imagine if they buy a small regional carrier that already has leases with towers, spectrum, customers and can be upgraded with a simple network-vision style project. The biggest thing is that they can expand much quicker, but usually they can also save money and have positive cash flow from the area immediately.

• Like 14

There are many reasons to buy rather than build. First, a new tower is a quarter million to put up, so if you multiply that by how many towers need to be in an area to call it good coverage... It gets pricey. Leasing space is an option, but remember the equipment is a huge part of the cost, it mainly just avoids time to find the land/clear government hurdles/build etc.

Remember also after they build and have spent all that money, they have no customers! They must advertise and offer special promotions to get people to switch. And build their customer base 1 person at a time. THIS IS DIFFICULT.

Now imagine if they buy a small regional carrier that already has leases with towers, spectrum, customers and can be upgraded with a simple network-vision style project. The biggest thing is that they can expand much quicker, but usually they can also save money and have positive cash flow from the area immediately.

^^ This. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Didn't the Softbank CEO say Sprint would eventually match Verizon's coverage?

He never said that. But many have construed that's what he meant from his quote. What he said could also just be interpreted that he is planning a network that performs just as well as Verizon. Or will provide coverage within Sprint's footprint that is as good as Verizons. But he never actually said he was expanding coverage to equal Verizon's nationally.

• Like 1

He never said that. But many have construed that's what he meant from his quote. What he said could also just be interpreted that he is planning a network that performs just as well as Verizon. Or will provide coverage within Sprint's footprint that is as good as Verizons. But he never actually said he was expanding coverage to equal Verizon's nationally.

All I care about is that they fill in existing coverage inside their existing footprint, and I will be one extremely happy Sprint customer! I don't care so much about rural areas that are Verizon only roaming, because I don't go there often.

• Like 2

I just hope that once 800mhz goes live it will cover the back half of Maumelle. Nextel used to be able to cover the back half and sprint currently doesn't have service there. That's also where most houses are and if you don't got an airave your roaming.

• Like 1

I just hope that once 800mhz goes live it will cover the back half of Maumelle. Nextel used to be able to cover the back half and sprint currently doesn't have service there. That's also where most houses are and if you don't got an airave your roaming.

I think with 800MHz voice, you will see improvement. I'm hoping once it goes live, I will see less roaming in the western edge of Kings Canyon National Park. My phone was going crazy up there switching back and forth between roaming when I went camping up there recently. It was crazy, lol.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

This does not apply to my question at all. In many places cities are building out/growing and Sprints coverage is either weak or non-existent in these new growth areas. The customers are already in these locations.

Edited by simplesam
  • Like 1

This does not apply to my question at all. In many places cities are building out/growing and Sprints coverage is either weak or non-existent in these new growth areas. The customers are already in these locations.

Sprint is adding sites every week in areas that are underserved. On average 2-3 per week. Some are Nextel iDEN conversions. Some are new sites that are colocated with other carriers.

And if anything, now under SoftBank this will likely accelerate even further. More coverage around existing coverages in existing markets is already happening.

• Like 1

Sprint is adding sites every week in areas that are underserved. On average 2-3 per week. Some are Nextel iDEN conversions. Some are new sites that are colocated with other carriers.

And if anything, now under SoftBank this will likely accelerate even further. More coverage around existing coverages in existing markets is already happening.

Is there any chance we can have a map of only new and iDEN conversion sites? How many iDEN sites of the originally mentioned 100 have been at least partially completed?

• Like 3

Cool, thanks for the update. 2-3 doesn't sound like too much, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1

Is there any chance we can have a map of only new and iDEN conversion sites? How many iDEN sites of the originally mentioned 100 have been at least partially completed?

Cool, thanks for the update. 2-3 doesn't sound like too much, but it's better than nothing.

I went back and took a look at the numbers from the acceptance reports. Between 5/28-8/8, 52 new sites where added and 35 iDEN sites where converted to NV. IIRC one of the new sites replaced a nearby legacy site, so considering that we can say 86 new sites have been added (all though not all are 3G/800/4G completed yet). If the original plan was to convert 100 iDEN sites to NV, then at least one third are on the map.

Now how many where done before Robert began posting the acceptance reports, I don't know...

:blink:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I went back and took a look at the numbers from the acceptance reports. Between 5/28-8/8, 52 new sites where added and 35 iDEN sites where converted to NV. IIRC one of the new sites replaced a nearby legacy site, so considering that we can say 86 new sites have been added (all though not all are 3G/800/4G completed yet). If the original plan was to convert 100 iDEN sites to NV, then at least one third are on the map.

Now how many where done before Robert began posting the acceptance reports, I don't know...

:blink:

Just to update.

From 5/28 - 8/28, 3 months to be exact. 55 new sites have been added and 37 iDEN sites have been converted. Minus the one site replacing a legacy site that gives us 91 new NV sites. Just about one a day.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Just to update.

From 5/28 - 8/28, 3 months to be exact. 55 new sites have been added and 37 iDEN sites have been converted. Minus the one site replacing a legacy site that gives us 91 new NV sites. Just about one a day.

Another update.

From 8/29 - 10/29, 7 new sites have been added and 1 iDEN site converted.

• Like 1

Another update.

From 8/29 - 10/29, 7 new sites have been added and 1 iDEN site converted.

I don't know if this has been posted or not but this seems to be a good place to put it. It mentions that Sprint will likely add sites.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/crown-castle-ceo-sprint-verizon-lte-overlays-will-pump-tower-activity/2013-10-31

• Like 6

"We expect that Sprint will repurpose the Clearwire tower sites and add an estimated 15,000 to 18,000 cell tower sites..."

WOW, I hope this comes true. If so this is huge news.

I don't know if this has been posted or not but this seems to be a good place to put it. It mentions that Sprint will likely add sites.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/crown-castle-ceo-sprint-verizon-lte-overlays-will-pump-tower-activity/2013-10-31

"We expect that Sprint will repurpose the Clearwire tower sites and add an estimated 15,000 to 18,000 cell tower sites..."

WOW, I hope this comes true. If so this is huge news.

Yeah, me too. They need to kept up with population shifts or they're going to have a bad time.