NSN is preparing to sell TDD LTE radios to Sprint

In what appears to be the most interesting of things, I think someone had mentioned recently that they believed that Nokia Siemens Networks Nokia Solutions and Networks would be part of the TDD LTE part of Network Vision, and the expansion of the former Clearwire LTE network.

Well, yesterday NSN received approval from the FCC OET for Flexi Multiradio 10 BTS on 2.6 GHz, utilizing TDD LTE technology.

There are external pictures available on the FCC page, found at this link.

Edited by MacinJosh
  • Like 15

Nokia has also completed the acquisition of Siemens' stake for EUR €1.7 billion (U.S. $2.2 billion) in Nokia Siemens Networks and renamed the company Nokia Solutions and Networks, or NSN for short.

Source:

http://us.nsn.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nsn-s-new-name-spells-business-as-usual-for-mobile-broadband-powerhouse

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/07/so-long-nokia-siemens-nokia-takes-control-of-its-networks-venture/

Nokia has also completed the acquisition of Siemens' stake for EUR €1.7 billion (U.S. $2.2 billion) in Nokia Siemens Networks and renamed the company Nokia Solutions and Networks, or NSN for short.

Source:

http://us.nsn.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nsn-s-new-name-spells-business-as-usual-for-mobile-broadband-powerhouse

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/07/so-long-nokia-siemens-nokia-takes-control-of-its-networks-venture/

How original of them. :P

• Like 1

Is this for external setups or must these be placed in a cabinet?

I don't know. I never read anything saying that they can't be used as RRU's on the tower. I think it would be better if they are mounted on the tower though.

I don't know. I never read anything saying that they can't be used as RRU's on the tower. I think it would be better if they are mounted on the tower though.

Agreed. I wasn't sure looking at: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=2034328 It looks like they have it mounted on a pole at one point, but doesn't necessarily say it's able to withstand the elements of weather.

Agreed. I wasn't sure looking at: https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=2034328 It looks like they have it mounted on a pole at one point, but doesn't necessarily say it's able to withstand the elements of weather.

You'd be surprised. Just put a weather cover over it like what is mounted in Alcatel Lucent desert areas, and slap it on the tower, and you are good to go, lol. This may be the reason that Alcatel Lucent (ALU) never released a TD LTE RRU. I watched and watched, and ALU just never released. Samsung built hybrids, and Ericsson built a TD-LTE RRU though.

You'd be surprised. Just put a weather cover over it like what is mounted in Alcatel Lucent desert areas, and slap it on the tower, and you are good to go, lol. This may be the reason that Alcatel Lucent (ALU) never released a TD LTE RRU. I watched and watched, and ALU just never released. Samsung built hybrids, and Ericsson built a TD-LTE RRU though.

The less that ALU has to do the better.  I hope Sprint hires NSN to help deploy the 2.5 GHz LTE network nationwide.  Someone needs to take the place of ALU since they have thus far failed with bringing up LTE in Network Vision.

I don't see why there is so much hate for ALU. They seem to be doing well in NYC. I'd rather them do the 3G and then come back for 4G , than wait for 4G and do 3G at a much later date. As a result 3G performance in the ALU markets tends to be better than the Samsung and Ericsson markets. Or maybe I just got lucky.

• Like 2

I don't see why there is so much hate for ALU. They seem to be doing well in NYC. I'd rather them do the 3G and then come back for 4G , than wait for 4G and do 3G at a much later date. As a result 3G performance in the ALU markets tends to be better than the Samsung and Ericsson markets. Or maybe I just got lucky.

From what I hear, you just got lucky. Arizona has been a blunder as far as everyone is concerned. They haven't done too bad for Vegas deployment, and they have now hired another contractor to speed Vegas installations, but their 800 RRU updated with 800 LTE compatibility was the last of the 3 Network Vision vendors. I think they may have too many projects going worldwide.

• Like 3

From what I hear, you just got lucky. Arizona has been a blunder as far as everyone is concerned. They haven't done too bad for Vegas deployment, and they have now hired another contractor to speed Vegas installations, but their 800 RRU updated with 800 LTE compatibility was the last of the 3 Network Vision vendors. I think they may have too many projects going worldwide.

It's not luck. Look at Shentel. They used ALU and are damn near complete with their rollout. I wouldn't point the finger at ALU as being a poor vendor.

• Like 3

It's not luck. Look at Shentel. They used ALU and are damn near complete with their rollout. I wouldn't point the finger at ALU as being a poor vendor.

Shentel must have bought all their equipment ahead of Sprint. I don't know. And I didn't say poor, I said too many projects. I feel they may have over-extended themselves seeing how they hired another company to build their 800RRU for them. (I have proof too.) They built their own PCS RRU, so I don't know what has gone wrong in their areas of Network Vision.

Alcatel Lucent due to their recent financial problems has scaled back support and expertise for their smaller orders like Sprint. Their technology and equipment is the least advanced of the three network vision vendors and they have never made a good showing in the major areas they're in charge of compared to other vendors.

on the other hand, NSN is a top tier leader in lte equipment and are in the same area in terms of expertise and quality of equipment as that of Ericsson and samsung. Having NSN as a vendor is a godsend. I would say their NSN flexis setup for tmobile is about even if not better than the Ericsson air 21.

Sent from my SPH-D710

• Like 2

ALU in Raleigh-Durham is being handled differently than NYC then.  They are doing 4G around here and haven't turned on many 3G sites yet.  I wish they would turn on a big batch because I tend to fall back to 3G a lot in some areas and it's horrible.  In the eastern part of the market (east of Raleigh a little) they turned on a bunch of 3G sites first and are steadily adding LTE on them, but most of the rest of the market has been 4G first and very little 3G updates.

Shentel must have bought all their equipment ahead of Sprint. I don't know. And I didn't say poor, I said too many projects. I feel they may have over-extended themselves seeing how they hired another company to build their 800RRU for them. (I have proof too.) They built their own PCS RRU, so I don't know what has gone wrong in their areas of Network Vision.

Shentel started buying equipment/deployment a considerable amount of time AFTER Sprint.

Shentel seems to have that unique issue with 800smr and the Note2 that caused any 800smr to be removed from the PRLs on the Note2.

Is the implication you're pointing out that it is ALU equipment causing this? 800smr works fine on other devices including the S3 on their equipment.

Is the implication you're pointing out that it is ALU equipment causing this? 800smr works fine on other devices including the S3 on their equipment.

No idea. I have used 800smr on my device in Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent markets before with no issues. But I have seen multiple reports from Shentel users stating they had issues until they rolled out the 2xxx PRL on the Note2 removing 800smr. Then I saw tons of users reporting lost coverage where of course they had it for even up to a year due to the removal. Dumb move IMHO.. And a pricey one at that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you can blame Arizona on ALU. Look at how many sites they have complete but are missing backhaul.

I'm not sure you can blame Arizona on ALU. Look at how many sites they have complete but are missing backhaul.

You are right, I can't blame them entirely. But they can still turn on 800 CDMA Voice in the whole entire Phoenix market, but not a single tower outside of the IBEZ in AZ has been 800 Voice accepted. And no towers in the Vegas market have been 800 Voice accepted either, despite the fact that they have been testing it since earlier this year (thanks to digiblur's testing PRL in the Sponsor's section, and his own personal testing during his trip to Vegas).

• Like 1

You are right, I can't blame them entirely. But they can still turn on 800 CDMA Voice in the whole entire Phoenix market, but not a single tower outside of the IBEZ in AZ has been 800 Voice accepted. And no towers in the Vegas market have been 800 Voice accepted either, despite the fact that they have been testing it since earlier this year (thanks to digiblur's testing PRL in the Sponsor's section, and his own personal testing during his trip to Vegas).

Oh, I agree that they aren't blameless and that they've had their problems I just didn't want anyone to see it and be like "OMG NO LTE WTF FAIL ALU."

• Like 1

No idea. I have used 800smr on my device in Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent markets before with no issues. But I have seen multiple reports from Shentel users stating they had issues until they rolled out the 2xxx PRL on the Note2 removing 800smr. Then I saw tons of users reporting lost coverage where of course they had it for even up to a year due to the removal. Dumb move IMHO.. And a pricey one at that.

The WORST thing about Note 2's not being able to work correctly with 800 SMR is that nobody officially acknowledges it or gives any idea of what is wrong. This makes them all look bad.  Somebody please finger the guy that caused this problem and tell us what is being done about it. The current status of the issue is not acceptable at all.

• Like 1

The WORST thing about Note 2's not being able to work correctly with 800 SMR is that nobody officially acknowledges it or gives any idea of what is wrong. This makes them all look bad.  Somebody please finger the guy that caused this problem and tell us what is being done about it. The current status of the issue is not acceptable at all.

I completely agree. It seems very odd that they just blanket removed it from devices, and (AFAIK) have not yet released any more info about what could possibly be causing it.

For the record, here in a Samsung market, we had zero reports of the Note II not connecting properly to 800.

On topic, if NSN is as good as people say, this is certainly good news. I'm ready for the big cities to be covered in 2500 for fast, sustainable speeds everywhere people live.

• Like 2

The WORST thing about Note 2's not being able to work correctly with 800 SMR is that nobody officially acknowledges it or gives any idea of what is wrong. This makes them all look bad. Somebody please finger the guy that caused this problem and tell us what is being done about it. The current status of the issue is not acceptable at all.

The Note2 worked fine on 800SMR in Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent, and I know several who used it in Chicago for quite a while.