Samsung GS4 SPH-L720T [TRI-BAND] (was "Sprint GS4 with Tri-Band support this Fall Official Thread")

Ascertion

Figured since I read a post from Robert confirming this, I figured we should make a thread about it and compile all of the information we find.  Anyone think it'll have the Snapdragon 800 in it?  If there's really an S4 w/ Tri-band support, I'll definitely hold out for it.  

• Like 6

I bet it will be the Galaxy S 4 Active.

It wouldn't make too much sense to have two of nearly the exact same phone floating around that are indistinguishable except by model number.

I bet it will be the Galaxy S 4 Active.

Oh, is that actually leaked all over the internet now? Our Samsung rep mentioned the S4 Active was coming soon, and said it was "super secret"... that was a few weeks ago.

Oh, is that actually leaked all over the internet now? Our Samsung rep mentioned the S4 Active was coming soon, and said it was "super secret"... that was a few weeks ago.

No, I just drew it out of you!

The AT&T version has been confirmed but not a Sprint variant....... Until now  :tu:

The AT&T version has been confirmed but not a Sprint variant.

Well, I can neither confirm nor deny a Sprint variant for sure... because he just mentioned that it was in development. Never actually said we were going to get it. So, uh, yeah! Plausible deniability. 

• Like 3

You guys are hilarious! When the Galaxy S 2 dropped on at&t and then the LTE version dropped, the Skyrocket (LTE enabled S2) was only a small bit larger than the S2. Looking thru the specs though, they didn't downsize the camera, which I don't expect them to with the Tri-Band Sprint LTE version of the S4. The active is for people who need a rugged device and have a habit of dropping their phones, or work in 'phone hazardous' conditions. I expect the Tri-Band S4 to be a small speed bump to the S4. But then again, this is just my crazy opinion. :wacko:

• Like 2

Just got told that, as the Tri-Band S4 gets produced, it will start replacing the original S4 in inventory as it gets rolled out, and nobody will see a difference in packaging, etc. Somehow, this seems like a phenomenally bad idea. I also don't think it's true, as this was "water cooler" talk. Take it with a bucket of salt.

• Like 2

Just got told that, as the Tri-Band S4 gets produced, it will start replacing the original S4 in inventory as it gets rolled out, and nobody will see a difference in packaging, etc. Somehow, this seems like a phenomenally bad idea. I also don't think it's true, as this was "water cooler" talk. Take it with a bucket of salt.

That's practically what T-mobile did. Start emptying their HSPA+ only GS3's quietly when their LTE GS3's started appearing. Didn't turn out that bad for them.

The AT&T version has been confirmed but not a Sprint variant.

Well, I can neither confirm nor deny a Sprint variant for sure... because he just mentioned that it was in development. Never actually said we were going to get it. So, uh, yeah! Plausible deniability.

Sprint may be releasing a new gs4 that's not called the Active. It might be the Samsung Galaxy S 4 Epic Touch Hands Free Air Gesture Motion Sensor 4G.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 19

Sprint may be releasing a new gs4 that's not called the Active. It might be the Samsung Galaxy S 4 Epic Touch Hands Free Air Gesture Motion Sensor 4G.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

no NOn no no. 

It's the Sprint  Exclusive Samsung Galaxy S4 1080P Super Amoled High Definition Epic 4g Tri-Band LTE Touch

• Like 11

So, the SESGS41080PSAHDE4GTBLTET?

Rolls off the tongue like projectile vomited alphabet soup.

I'd probably still buy it as all I am waiting on right now is pretty much any triband phone to arrive.

• Like 3

no NOn no no. 

It's the Sprint  Exclusive Samsung Galaxy S4 1080P Super Amoled High Definition Epic 4g Tri-Band LTE Touch

So, the SESGS41080PSAHDE4GTBLTET?

Or, for short, "The Son".

• Like 1

Add me to the list of folks who will buy it when it comes out. I'm pretty darned happy with my S III, but I bounce between areas that LTE in SMR would benefit. And, when the Clearwire snafu gets un-snafu'd, my area will probably get 2500/2600 TD-LTE as well in relatively short order.

The only downside is that the rest of my family will need to wait for a Galaxy Victory-class device with SMR LTE, as they're in similar situations. Though for now they do of course have SMR 1x capability.

• Like 1

Figured since I read a post from Robert confirming this, I figured we should make a thread about it and compile all of the information we find.  Anyone think it'll have the Snapdragon 800 in it?  If there's really an S4 w/ Tri-band support, I'll definitely hold out for it.  

I highly doubt that Samsung would take the time to upgrade the processor from Snapdragon 600 to Snapdragon 800.  If there is a Galaxy S4 tri-band LTE model, it would pretty much be the same phone with upgraded internals.  Perhaps Samsung may give it a slightly different model number to distinguish the single band LTE model and tri band LTE model but I am not expecting big changes.

I am still curious though if Sprint will really put out an upgraded Galaxy S4.  I have already told my younger brother to wait until Fall to upgrade to the tri-band Galaxy S4 since he wants to upgrade his phone right now.  I don't want to disappoint him if it doesn't turn out to be true.  Hopefully this thread will provide any updates to news on a tri-band LTE Sprint Galaxy S4.

• Like 1

New member here...been a Sprint customer for over 12 years consecutive!  Anyway, like everyone, I am waiting for Tri-band LTE phones.  I found this spec sheet on GS4 ACTIVE: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9295_galaxy_s4_active-5446.php

4G Network LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600   LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - SGH-I537

Now, I know that this is GSMArena and not actual Samsung spec...and not sure where they got this from.  (It is a rather thorough PREVIEW of the GS4A, as if they had their hands on it with actual testing!  No other review site has this much info.)

Anyways, does this mean that Active supports tri-band?  I know that Sprint tri-band LTE is 800, 1900, and 2500 (??).  I don't see 2500 being listed.

Edited by Thai

That's practically what T-mobile did. Start emptying their HSPA+ only GS3's quietly when their LTE GS3's started appearing. Didn't turn out that bad for them.

Like I said, this was water-cooler talk. This guy also told me, in the same breath, that the problems with the GS2 were due to the Ice Cream Sandwich update being done "on top" of "Honeycomb... or whatever... Gingerbread...", which caused the phone to run two operating systems at once. Riiiiiiiight...

New member here...been a Sprint customer for over 12 years consecutive! Anyway, like everyone, I am waiting for Tri-band LTE phones. I found this spec sheet on GS4 ACTIVE: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9295_galaxy_s4_active-5446.php

4G Network LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - SGH-I537

Now, I know that this is GSMArena and not actual Samsung spec...and not sure where they got this from. (It is a rather thorough PREVIEW of the GS4A, as if they had their hands on it with actual testing! No other review site has this much info.)

Anyways, does this mean that Active supports tri-band? I know that Sprint tri-band LTE is 800, 1900, and 2500 (??). I don't see 2500 being listed.

2500 and 2600 are the same LTE Band. LTE Band 41. Some people call or 2500, and others call it 2600. They're pretty interchangeable. EBS is mostly in 2500 and BRS is mostly in 2600, but both are combined into one LTE band.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

2500 and 2600 are the same LTE Band. LTE Band 41. Some people call or 2500, and others call it 2600. They're pretty interchangeable. EBS is mostly in 2500 and BRS is mostly in 2600, but both are combined into one LTE band.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wrong. 2600 refers to Band 7, while 2500 refers to Band 41 (according to frequency indication conventions).