Network Vision/LTE - Dakotas Market (including Fargo, Grand Forks, Alexandria MN)

mozamcrew

I saw that there wasn't a network vision thread for the Dakotas market yet. So I might as well get it rolling. Rep at the sprint store told me they heard work will be starting in the Fargo area July 1st. Alexandria area will also be starting this summer. And I think someone in the Minnesota thread mentioned some backhaul is being done in the Fergus Falls area.

• Like 2

I think there is an issue with Sprint not actually owning the network and having to rely on whatever partner runs the towers up there. They are not seeming to want to move forward with upgrading their equipment. I've been through Sioux Falls a few times in the past few months and data is horrific. 

I know that's the case in the Brookings/Sioux Falls area of SD, as that is run by an affiliate(Swiftel), but the "dakotas" market also includes Western Minnesota, Basically everything from Alexandria west.

The Dakotas market is Sprint native and not related to the Swiftel Affiliate market in Eastern South Dakota and Sioux City, IA.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Good to see this here, I live near Alexandria and cant wait. The data seems to be getting more sporadic as time goes on. I hope that's a sign of good things to come.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have the pleasure of being relocated to Sioux City. Does this mean the area will not be getting an upgrade?

Being a Swiftel market, there is no timetable for upgrades in Sioux City. The Swiftel market will likely be the last market to be upgraded. We are waiting to even hear Swiftel even will start upgrades. Sorry. :(

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I spent a lot of time in Brookings at a customer ( Daktronics) in the past and got decent voice service at my hotel near the interstate and around the town...   Data didn't bother me much since I just WIFI'd... 

Being a Swiftel market, there is no timetable for upgrades in Sioux City. The Swiftel market will likely be the last market to be upgraded. We are waiting to even hear Swiftel even will start upgrades. Sorry. :(

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That's too bad and I've seen firsthand that these clowns at Swiftel don't even the common decency to reply to comments on their Facebook page. Since they're not a publicly traded company and because Sprint never comments about them in their earnings discussions and the fact that we probably have very few S4GRU members in their territory and to the best of my knowledge we don't have a contact within their company, we probably won't know if or when they roll out Network Vision until LTE coverage shows up Sprint's coverage map.

• Like 1

That's too bad and I've seen firsthand that these clowns at Swiftel don't even the common decency to reply to comments on their Facebook page. Since they're not a publicly traded company and because Sprint never comments about them in their earnings discussions and the fact that we probably have very few S4GRU members in their territory and to the best of my knowledge we don't have a contact within their company, we probably won't know if or when they roll out Network Vision until LTE coverage shows up Sprint's coverage map.

True, true.  It's all true.  :(

Robert

• 1 month later...

Still no action at the sites since they announced Fargo was in line to get upgrades 18APR13... Tweeted @sprint 14JUN13 as to a status and they said they were starting the upgrades in a few weeks. Tweeted back 02JUL13 asking for an update to those upgrades and they said they still have yet to start any NV upgrades. I drive by one site daily since it is a block or two away from my house and on my way to work and there is nothing happening there. On the weekend I take the motorcycle out and cruise by the other sites and still have yet to see anything there in terms of activity, tire tracks, new equipment and nada.

Sigh... No signs of signal changes either... still have a higher ping response than actual downstream to my phone. I swear if it weren't for my SERO plan I would've left a long time ago...

Edited by zx10rarcher

Still no action at the sites since they announced Fargo was in line to get upgrades 18APR13... Tweeted @sprint 14JUN13 as to a status and they said they were starting the upgrades in a few weeks. Tweeted back 02JUL13 asking for an update to those upgrades and they said they still have yet to start any NV upgrades. I drive by one site daily since it is a block or two away from my house and on my way to work and there is nothing happening there. On the weekend I take the motorcycle out and cruise by the other sites and still have yet to see anything there in terms of activity, tire tracks, new equipment and nada.

Sigh... No signs of signal changes either... still have a higher ping response than actual downstream to my phone. I swear if it weren't for my SERO plan I would've left a long time ago...

I'm just hoping to see some LTE in Fargo before the end of summer.

Sounds like they may be getting underway here in town with the NV/LTE upgrades.

I have been trolling @sprint and @sprintcare and I finally got an answer to a question...
post-22526-0-37808900-1374971458_thumb.gif

I will take a walk around the South Uni tower today or tomorrow and see if anything has changed from last weekend.

• Like 1

So things must be getting underway... At least I hope they are. There is no reason for this continuing.

Weeks now. Bouncing back and forth from 3g --> 1xRTT --> 3g --> No data --> 1xRTT. First it was towers were running slow we'll send out techs to investigate. Then it was LTE installation is starting at the S. University tower (which doesn't exist to my knowledge). And today is it's a data outage, engineers are looking into it. 

Pretty sad when data is this unreliable and slow from my work and home which are both a couple blocks away from two different Sprint towers. These speed tests were taken last night after work a few hundred yards away from the S. Fargo tower.

post-22526-0-18849600-1375372227_thumb.png

So things must be getting underway... At least I hope they are. There is no reason for this continuing.

Weeks now. Bouncing back and forth from 3g --> 1xRTT --> 3g --> No data --> 1xRTT. First it was towers were running slow we'll send out techs to investigate. Then it was LTE installation is starting at the S. University tower (which doesn't exist to my knowledge). And today is it's a data outage, engineers are looking into it. 

Pretty sad when data is this unreliable and slow from my work and home which are both a couple blocks away from two different Sprint towers. These speed tests were taken last night after work a few hundred yards away from the S. Fargo tower.

Looks like there is a site on S University to me, two actually. I'd really recommend looking at the market map here. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4186-network-vision-site-map-minnesota-dakotas-milwaukee-and-north-wisconsin-markets/

You need to be a sponsor, but I'd say it's worth it to get access to both the NV sites complete and market maps.

• Like 1

Looks like there is a site on S University to me, two actually. I'd really recommend looking at the market map here. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4186-network-vision-site-map-minnesota-dakotas-milwaukee-and-north-wisconsin-markets/You need to be a sponsor, but I'd say it's worth it to get access to both the NV sites complete and market maps.

Thanks for the info. Been lurking this site since getting my One at launch. Decided to join and donate so I could view that thread, though my profile hasn't changed to "Sponsor" yet. I'll check back later.

Waiting rather impatiently for LET here...Sounds like it's coming soon though!

Thanks for the info. Been lurking this site since getting my One at launch. Decided to join and donate so I could view that thread, though my profile hasn't changed to "Sponsor" yet. I'll check back later.

Waiting rather impatiently for LET here...Sounds like it's coming soon though!

I upgraded you a little while ago after I woke up. Thanks for supporting S4GRU.

:thx:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Talked to a manager at Sprint Customer Care today because I wanted to cancel my lines with no ETFs because of the piss poor data speed up here and how I have been patient dealing with their customer care and tech support over the last two months. I think the 20 or so Speedtests showing consistent less than 100k down and up speeds was enough to get them to listen and have someone look at the towers.

Anyways, they gave me deadlines (ESTIMATES) of the NV and 4G upgrades. They said the NV upgrades are slated to be complete in the next 90 days. 4G upgrades are slated to be completed 6 months from now. Hope those tower techs like working on towers in North Dakota cold and wind in the middle of December - February... hopefully that will put a little fire under Sprint to get things moving. Or else they'll just pass us up again and wait till spring. I told them I will keep my lines active but if things don't get better after the 90 days, I am cancelling all of our Sprint lines. Really its the last thing I want to do as I've been with them for 13 years now and worked for them in the past. But really, unlimited data isn't worth it when you can barely send out an email, post something to Facebook or get out a tweet in less than 5 minutes. Plus Verizon and ATT's rates are rediculous especially after becoming used to paying SERO rates.

Understand your frustration there archer. Can't make a call inside my work let alone use my data...at home I can use both but get horrible data speeds and will drop from time to time. Only thing keeping my 6 lines on sprint at this point is how much that would cost on the other guys networks.

Since they announced fargo was one of the next to get LTE, figured this wouldn't take so long. I'd be happy with reliable 3G at this point so I'm hoping that 90 day timeline is accurate.

Here is the timeline thus far;

18APR13 - 4G LTE Announced to be coming to Fargo, ND "in coming months"

14JUN13 - Asked @sprintcare via Twitter about LTE, Response: "Thx 4 ur inquiry. Good News! We're just weeks away from upgrades. Pls visit Sprint.com/LTE - CRP 4 mor info. -CRP"

02JUL13 - @sprintcare tweeted "I apologize if I created the wrong expectation. We are still working on the 3g enhancements, 4G will follow after - CRP" after I asked for an update on the upgrades.

01AUG13 - @sprintcare tweeted "There r no outages reported on the illustrated tower. W/in 90 days network enhancements will be completed on said tower. - YDW"

02AUG13 - @sprintcare tweeted "Unfortunately the upgrades may affect service for a while. Please note the 90 days was only an estimate. Sincerely, *KCB"

08AUG13 - From my discussion via email/phone with a Sprint Customer Care manager; "NV upgrades are slated to be completed in the next 90 days. 4G upgrades are slated to be completed 6 months from now."

So, by some time in February 2014 we should have 4G. I'll believe it when I see it. We've been promised 4G here since I worked for Sprint back in 08-10. We have one little usable bubble of WiMax in Moorhead by Concordia and thats about it.

"

They are actively working in the Dakotas market. The first five sites were physically complete last week. They are working all over the market. LTE will go live at each upgraded site as new backhaul is installed. The first LTE site will probably go live in the next few weeks. Samsung is the most aggressive Network Vision OEM of them all.

To see what to look for on your local Sprint towers for upgraded equipment, check out this thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3906-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-samsung-style/

Over in the Sponsor section of S4GRU we show maps of all Sprint sites and the ones that have had Network Vision upgrades accepted. For more info about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

So I checked the map, and the tower I took the pictures at isn't a current Sprint tower according the the Dakota, Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin map. I'm pretty sure there was a Nextel site that used to be at the top of this tower, and my signal from Signal Check was in the 50s when I took this. The pictures are from the corner of 13th Ave S and 25th St in Fargo. The closest Sprint site appears to be a few blocks north on 7th Ave S. Robert, or someone else, can you confirm that this location used to be a Nextel Site?

So I checked the map, and the tower I took the pictures at isn't a current Sprint tower according the the Dakota, Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin map. I'm pretty sure there was a Nextel site that used to be at the top of this tower, and my signal from Signal Check was in the 50s when I took this. The pictures are from the corner of 13th Ave S and 25th St in Fargo. The closest Sprint site appears to be a few blocks north on 7th Ave S. Robert, or someone else, can you confirm that this location used to be a Nextel Site?

It's not on the Nextel map