Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Has anyone heard about whether Sacramento is on Sprint's LTE plans? I've been looking all over for some mention. Most of the Bay is on the list. I've even read somewhere that Stockton was a Sprint LTE test market. I am desperate for any info. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks in advance.

Sacramento hasn't been announced yet in the first and second rounds. The upper Central valley region is very important since it covers Sacramento, Stockton, Reno, etc. My guess is that it will be deployed in the third round which is sometime by mid to late 2013.

Has anyone heard about whether Sacramento is on Sprint's LTE plans? I've been looking all over for some mention. Most of the Bay is on the list. I've even read somewhere that Stockton was a Sprint LTE test market. I am desperate for any info. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks in advance.

Stockton is not a test market. That was misinformation started by TechnoBuffalo. You can read our response to that here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-162-clarification-on-reported-new-sprint-4g-lte-cities/

We report all the advanced info about Network Vision that is fit for print. The Upper Central Valley market will not begin NV/LTE deployment until sometime in 2013. There is no more information than that at this time.

Even Sprint doesn't even know more than that currently. They are completing design and planning on Round Three and Four markets this summer and fall. After that planning and permitting work is complete, they will start compiling scheduling for 2013. I think the earliest we will start reporting meaningful 2013 deployment info is Mid Fall.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Any recent updates on LTE deployment for the Sacramento area? And would this include outlying areas like Rocklin, Lincoln, and Auburn? Coming up on contract renewal for all 4 family members, but not going to commit to Sprint unless LTE is coming by very early 2013. Any news appreciated.

Any recent updates on LTE deployment for the Sacramento area? And would this include outlying areas like Rocklin, Lincoln, and Auburn? Coming up on contract renewal for all 4 family members, but not going to commit to Sprint unless LTE is coming by very early 2013. Any news appreciated.

We have not received scheduling for the Upper Central Valley market, yet. It will probably start in the 1st Quarter of 2013. However, we just announced that a few 3rd Round markets are starting earlier than expected. It is possible that your market may start sooner than planned too. But I certainly do not have any information at this time that would support that.

Robert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Re posting this again.

Saw workers working on this known sprint cite on freeport blvd next to Sacramento Executive Airport. Have not yet confirmed that its Sammy workers or that new RUUs have been installed. Site has had 3g speeds of well in excess of 1mbps for months.

Workers worked on bottom racks which are sprint to my knowledge.

bYPNt.jpg

If work is supposed to start in Dec/Jan, that's great news. All I want is a little hope. I don't mind having to wait provided there's light at the end of the tunnel. I totally understand that this stuff isn't easy.

Sure DVCal's posts were basically all innacurrate, but I understand his frustration when you see Fairfield get LTE. Sorry, but Fairfield? However, I experimented a little bit. I'm pretty sure it's just 1 or 2 towers that got upgraded and I'm sure the permitting process there was cake compared to Sacramento and the surrounding cities.

Re posting this again.

Saw workers working on this known sprint cite on freeport blvd next to Sacramento Executive Airport. Have not yet confirmed that its Sammy workers or that new RUUs have been installed. Site has had 3g speeds of well in excess of 1mbps for months.

Workers worked on bottom racks which are sprint to my knowledge.

bYPNt.jpg

Based on that image, I would say that Sprint is on the top rack there. Sprint doesn't use RRUs on it's legacy network, which is what would be showing in a Google image. The second one is AT&T, which would only leave the top.

Sure DVCal's posts were basically all innacurrate, but I understand his frustration when you see Fairfield get LTE. Sorry, but Fairfield? However, I experimented a little bit. I'm pretty sure it's just 1 or 2 towers that got upgraded and I'm sure the permitting process there was cake compared to Sacramento and the surrounding cities.

Fairfield is in the San Francisco market, so it gets upgraded along with SF. There are closer to 15 towers in the city, and they will all be upgraded over the next several weeks. Sprint is upgrading entire markets, which generally include at least one large city, and then all of the other areas surrounding them, even rural areas. This is why a small city might get upgraded but a larger one nearby has to wait a few months longer.

Oh I get that, it's just frustrating that a city so far from its purported "market city" gets LTE. However, I'm just saying that when you think about it, it makes sense. Fairfield likely has a very easy permitting process. Also, if you drive around that city, LTE isn't everywhere in that city yet. Based on my totally unscientific process of driving around the area and having my wife tell me when her phone says LTE and when it switches back to 3G, I'm guessing Sprint has only upgraded 1 or 2 towers in that city (out of 15 or whatever the total number is).

Once Sacramento gets just 1 tower, it'll feel like light at the end of the tunnel and I won't feel so jealous of Fairfield, even though only a small part of that little city has LTE coverage.

Waiting for this to get going. I hope the greater Sacramento area sees NV by summer time. Any new word it's almost 2013. I'm new to this site, is there a map of what network each area belongs in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by GiantJay

Waiting for this to get going. I hope the greater Sacramento area sees NV by summer time. Any new word it's almost 2013. I'm new to this site, is there a map of what network each area belongs in.

There were two threads here by accident, just merged them together. There are a few more posts here now.

Do you mean which market an area belongs in? We have a map of all the markets here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/articles/nationwide-sprint-market-map-is-here-r31

gallery_1_5_299248.jpg

We do have maps of all Sprint towers for each market, as well as maps of currently accepted NV 3G and 4G sites across the country. You can gain access by becoming a sponsor of the site. You can find more information on that here: Information about S4GRU Sponsorship

• Like 2

Do you mean which market an area belongs in? We have a map of all the markets here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/page/index.html/_/articles/nationwide-sprint-market-map-is-here-r31

Yes than you.

That link didn't seem to work right, but I added the image in the post above.

So what sites do you guys use to see who owns what towers? I've used some I just googled, but none of them match (finally found one that picked up a site which finally explains why Sprint is the only one that works near my house). However, there's a tower (or at least I think it's a cell tower) even closer to my house but doesn't show up on any map I've found.

They were working on it late last week. Dunno if repairs or upgrades, but I'm really curious as to who it serves. Not positive it's even fully operational, but it's been up for several months now.

So what sites do you guys use to see who owns what towers? I've used some I just googled, but none of them match (finally found one that picked up a site which finally explains why Sprint is the only one that works near my house). However, there's a tower (or at least I think it's a cell tower) even closer to my house but doesn't show up on any map I've found.

They were working on it late last week. Dunno if repairs or upgrades, but I'm really curious as to who it serves. Not positive it's even fully operational, but it's been up for several months now.

In the S4GRU Sponsor section we have maps that show every Sprint site in the country. As well as all the completed Network Vision sites.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

If work is supposed to start in Dec/Jan, that's great news. All I want is a little hope. I don't mind having to wait provided there's light at the end of the tunnel. I totally understand that this stuff isn't easy.

No one has shown anything I said was inaccurate.

FACTs that I posted:

1. Verizon, MetroPCS, and AT&T all launched LTE in Sacramento with in a few months of the first city launch, basically a 2nd phase city, with the case of MetroPCS it launched with New York and San Francisco.

2. Sprint is upgrading markets with less than 1/2 of the population as Central Valley Market, more than year before the CVM.

3. MetroPCS had LTE in Sacramento in 2010 Verizon in early 2012, and AT&T in med 2012. Sprint won't launch until 2014.

No one has shown anything I said was inaccurate.

FACTs that I posted:

1. Verizon, MetroPCS, and AT&T all launched LTE in Sacramento with in a few months of the first city launch, basically a 2nd phase city, with the case of MetroPCS it launched with New York and San Francisco.

2. Sprint is upgrading markets with less than 1/2 of the population as Central Valley Market, more than year before the CVM.

3. MetroPCS had LTE in Sacramento in 2010 Verizon in early 2012, and AT&T in med 2012. Sprint won't launch until 2014.

1. Metro PCS, has 1/30th the amount of markets Sprint does, and each of their markets has 1/4 the number of sites. Also, Metro PCS LTE runs between 1-4Mbps on average. Verizon and AT&T started their deployments sooner, also they are just doing an overlay of their existing network, and only deployed on half their sites with really low signal density. This is a fast, but inferior way to deploy. Sprint is upgrading it's entire network, nationwide. Every single site will get LTE. This takes more time, but will have a much more dense LTE network that will handle more users and allow for LTE performance to stay high for much longer. Sprint cannot start work in this market yet. They will not for a few more months. If Sprint doesn't meet your needs, then go. But you will have to give something up. Slower LTE speeds or data caps. But whining about it here will not make it faster. It is impossible at this point to move up the start date.

2. This is incorrect. First, Sprint has no Central Valley market. Only an Upper Valley market and Lower Valley market. And neither has started deployment. Sprint has no 4G LTE service in any of the Central Valley market. You are likely confusing with Clearwire's 4G WiMax network that Sprint customers can use. If so, did you know that Clearwire had their 4G WiMax network live in those communities in the Central Valley before Sprint even started selling 4G devices? Clearwire deployed there to serve their customers, but allow Sprint customers to use the network in those locations. You are making faulty assumptions that Sprint is selecting some smaller cities over you. If you are going to makes accusations in this forum, you will need to know what you're talking about. If you don't know something, then you should have a much friendlier attitude and say what you think and state them as opinion instead of trying to spew incorrect assumptions as fact. Additionally, the other markets Sprint that are currently being deployed in are ready now. Should Sprint wait and hold them to start, because you feel more entitled? Get real, and get over yourself. The Upper Valley market is not ready now, but will be soon.

3. Sprint will have active LTE service in Sacramento start to come live in the Spring. It will launch long before 2014. Just more mistaken assumptions on your part that you try to pass off as facts.

This is not the Sprint community forums. Real facts reign here. Either get on board with reality, or go somewhere else. We don't tolerate trolls in our forums.

Robert

• Like 4

1. Metro PCS, has 1/30th the amount of markets Sprint does, and each of their markets has 1/4 the number of sites. Also, Metro PCS LTE runs between 1-4Mbps on average. Verizon and AT&T started their deployments sooner, also they are just doing an overlay of their existing network, and only deployed on half their sites with really low signal density. This is a fast, but inferior way to deploy. Sprint is upgrading it's entire network, nationwide. Every single site will get LTE. This takes more time, but will have a much more dense LTE network that will handle more users and allow for LTE performance to stay high for much longer. Sprint cannot start work in this market yet. They will not for a few more months. If Sprint doesn't meet your needs, then go. But you will have to give something up. Slower LTE speeds or data caps. But whining about it here will not make it faster. It is impossible at this point to move up the start date.

2. This is incorrect. First, Sprint has no Central Valley market. Only an Upper Valley market and Lower Valley market. And neither has started deployment. Sprint has no 4G LTE service in any of the Central Valley market. You are likely confusing with Clearwire's 4G WiMax network that Sprint customers can use. If so, did you know that Clearwire had their 4G WiMax network live in those communities in the Central Valley before Sprint even started selling 4G devices? Clearwire deployed there to serve their customers, but allow Sprint customers to use the network in those locations. You are making faulty assumptions that Sprint is selecting some smaller cities over you. If you are going to makes accusations in this forum, you will need to know what you're talking about. If you don't know something, then you should have a much friendlier attitude and say what you think and state them as opinion instead of trying to spew incorrect assumptions as fact. Additionally, the other markets Sprint that are currently being deployed in are ready now. Should Sprint wait and hold them to start, because you feel more entitled? Get real, and get over yourself. The Upper Valley market is not ready now, but will be soon.

3. Sprint will have active LTE service in Sacramento start to come live in the Spring. It will launch long before 2014. Just more mistaken assumptions on your part that you try to pass off as facts.

This is not the Sprint community forums. Real facts reign here. Either get on board with reality, or go somewhere else. We don't tolerate trolls in our forums.

Robert

Is it confirmed to start to roll out in the Spring? I hope so I just haven't heard anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is it confirmed to start to roll out in the Spring? I hope so I just haven't heard anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

From our sources, yes.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whelp. Ermagawd, we now have eeerrrrhhhpeeeediiiiieeeesss in sac.

Mmmhh. Okay. So my friend just recently returned from basic training in Texas and got me to root his GS3 last week. I checked the network info screen and it was Evdo:6 or 8. Today, we went out nearby to eat and checked again and it's now ehrpd on his GS3. Good sign I suppose.

Maybe the next time he gets leave from his post, he won't be abandoning 4g LTE in Texas for our crappy legacy 3g which is dial up speed at his house.

I have friends that work for a company that do LTE installation, so I will let everyone know when they start upgrading our area. Right now most of their work is for Verizon and some at&t. But I know they have been in contact with Samsung for Sprint so hopefully soon. I actually hope to be working there soon too.

Edited by GiantJay
  • Like 3