HTC One preview thread (was "Any M7 takers?")

Feech

It should never be locked in the first place. This developer edition crap is a trend that needs to stop.

I was hoping the lack of sales in the face of Samsung success would be a swift enough kick in the nuts for them to stop marginalizing enthusiasts. Apparently it wasn't.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It should never be locked in the first place. This developer edition crap is a trend that needs to stop.

I was hoping the lack of sales in the face of Samsung success would be a swift enough kick in the nuts for them to stop marginalizing enthusiasts. Apparently it wasn't.

I do agree that it should be unlocked or easily unlocked but lets be real, looking at the big picture, HTC's lack of sales doesn't have a single thing to do with not catering to enthusiasts, it has to do with their poor track record when it comes to marketing their device effectively. Us enthusiasts represent far less than 1% of their total customer base so they are not going to invest valuable resources to cater to a few of us, sorry.

• Like 2

I do agree that it should be unlocked or easily unlocked but lets be real, looking at the big picture, HTC's lack of sales doesn't have a single thing to do with not catering to enthusiasts, it has to do with their poor track record when it comes to marketing their device effectively. Us enthusiasts represent far less than 1% of their total customer base so they are not going to invest valuable resources to cater to a few of us, sorry.

I strongly disagree. Enthusiasts are trendsetters that would be foolish to ignore. Less tech-savvy individuals look to these people for purchasing advice or look at what they use to see what the latest device is.

It would take basically no effort on the part of HTC to sell these phones with S-Off out of the box.

• Like 1

It would take basically no effort on the part of HTC to sell these phones with S-Off out of the box.

Do you really think the decision to lock down the device lies as much with the OEM as it does with the carriers? No, I fully believe it is more the carriers' call. As long as carriers continue to sell devices and tie the cost of those devices to the cost of service, then carriers want the devices locked down and as dummy proof as possible. It potentially saves them support costs and headaches down the road.

AJ

• Like 3

I think marketing is definitely HTC's downfall more than anything. They made it difficult for themselves to market their devices by flooding the market with 500 phones all with different names and designs. They finally learned a lesson from Samsung (and Apple for that matter) that a single device across multiple carriers is the way to go. The bootloader deal is really unfortunate. I'm sure the devs will hack it open, but who knows how long that'll be. I remember dealing with that with the Evo 3D.

I strongly disagree. Enthusiasts are trendsetters that would be foolish to ignore. Less tech-savvy individuals look to these people for purchasing advice or look at what they use to see what the latest device is.

There is truth to what you are saying don't get me wrong but still the numbers are still entirely too small. Less tech savy people are attracted by eye candy and marketing, why do you think people wait in line for days to get an iphone? Why do you think samsung has sold so many gs3's? It's definitely not because less tech savy people are going to trendsetting enthusiasts asking what is the best phone to buy. Prime example, I consider myself to be tech savy and other than my dad(who is still rocking a gs2 on att), everyone else in my immediate family has an iphone. I have shown them time and time again, feature after feature of what android is capable of and regardless of how impressed they were, they will not use anything else other than an iphone. Again I do agree with you but the numbers are not what you think they are and thats a fact. These companies are going for the mainstream consumer and that's not us. Ask a 1,000 random android users what is a bootloader or s-off and most would have no clue what you were talking about. Hell, you can even ask those same random 1,000 people if their phone has gingerbread, ICS or jellybean. The mainstream consumer don't care, they just want it to work when they turn it on and thats it.

• Like 6

I agree that they come to us for advice, but if my girlfriend asks me for advice of what device she should get, not a single credential on my list of reasons has a thing to do with rooting. The majority of people don't root, don't feel comfortable with rooting and don't want to root so that's not something I will use to influence their decision.

if they don't get their arses in gear, i'm gonna be swayed by the GS4....

• Like 1

if they don't get their arses in gear, i'm gonna be swayed by the GS4....

For the first time ever I am having a hard time trying to decide which phone to get. Since I have two lines I was going to get both but I think I will just get one for now and get the note 3 later on in the year.

honestly, the GS4 may sway me to buy a closeout GS3 since it's more the size phone I'm interested in. thankfully I've got a couple BB upgrade gift cards banked!

Are you able to use the BB upgrade gift cards for other people instead of your line? I registered all of my family lines (even tho only 2 are going to be eligible this year :D). Yea... I got a little excited... lol.

I registered for 4 lines since all eligible this year. I upgraded my daughter from the Epic 4G to the GS3, got her gift card, went back the next day for them to price match Radio Shack ($149 vs $99 - which they did wrong and credited me back like $99 plus a bunch of tax) and they asked if I wanted to also apply the gift card but I didn't have to.

Plan on using that one, and the one I'll get for my line on my upgrade to the ONE, the GS4 or to maybe snag a GS3 for free once they drop the price! I'll use my other two later in the year for the wife and younger daughter when they upgrade.

“HTC is thrilled with the positive response we have received to our $100 trade-up offer. Due to this, we are extending the offer for customers who purchase the HTC One by 4/26 and trade in their old device by 5/31. We are pleased to bring this offer to even more customers so they can upgrade to the HTC One at an amazing price.” - HTC, in a statement to AndroidGuys

http://www.androidguys.com/2013/03/14/htc-extends-deadline-for-trade-up-credits-toward-htc-one/

another botch job for the us market. Announce the device, make a sweet upgrade offer, then watch the US market sit and wonder if the phone will be available before the upgrade offer expires. Maybe somebody smacked an HTC exec in the head since a 2 week window (if it was available today) isn't a very long one.

It sucks that this device is available in Europe (shortages be damned).

By the way, how can anyone say the US release of the phone won't be affected by the ultrapixel camera issues unless the phones are already built for each of the carriers and ready to ship...in which case we should have a release date already.

end rant

• Like 2

I actually hope the HTC One does real well this year in terms of sales over the Samsung galaxy s4 so it starts putting some pressure on Samsung to continue to innovate and not resort to the shenanigans that have plagued the iPhone with small incremental upgrades in terms of build design.