Copilot app gives free offline maps for navigating off the beaten path

pyroscott

It is certainly frustrating when you are using a navigation app and it shuts off because there is no data connection. Copilot is changing that, they are offering offline maps for free, so your cellphone virtually becomes a standalone GPS. If you want voice navigation and 3D maps, it is a one time $20 charge and real time traffic updates will tack on $10 per year. But it's pennies if you figure what you save on buying another GPS for when you drive into the non cellphone wasteland when you cant even call anyone to get directions.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/26/copilot-gps-app-ios-android/

Yeah. If I drive into a no signal area, I will scroll ahead in Google Maps to put the maps ahead in my cache to bridge through the dead zone.

Posted via Forum Runner

Yeah. If I drive into a no signal area, I will scroll ahead in Google Maps to put the maps ahead in my cache to bridge through the dead zone.

Posted via Forum Runner

I remember using sprint's app before google maps and it would shut off as soon as you lost coverage for 5 seconds... It sucked

• 3 months later...

I remember using sprint's app before google maps and it would shut off as soon as you lost coverage for 5 seconds... It sucked

That drove me nuts on my BlackBerry. I have never thought about scrolling the path ahead to cache the maps, I will need to do that the next time I'm up in the U.P.