Does anyone know the steps to reprovision your S3 using your MSL #

MelonSplitter

• 3 weeks later...

Try this: in your dialer, type

##72786#

This will re-do the PRL, update the network, and reboot the phone.

You don't need the MSL for this...but try and see if it helps.

A ##72786# should require the MSL to work. It wipes out all network programming on the phone without wiping out any customer information. Essentially it is the first have of a full ##786# (RTN - Return To New) which takes EVERYTHING back to stock. It will then make the phone to re-do the OTA activation that it did originally when it was first turned on (because it isn't activated anymore), updating network profile, PRL, firmware update check, etc.

This may help, but it just as easily could be network-related, not your phone.

• Like 1

Hmm it seems the Jelly Bean update does not require the MSL to be entered... I was able to do a SCRTN on my S3 without entering it either. That's not how it's supposed to work.

*notes this to report to Product Development team tomorrow*

Yay Community! :D

Only reason I know this is because a customer service rep led me into doing it, and didn't give me the lock code when I did. She said "punch this in, your phone should do this when you hit the last # key. So they at least know about it in tier 1 tech.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A ##72786# should require the MSL to work. It wipes out all network programming on the phone without wiping out any customer information. Essentially it is the first have of a full ##786# (RTN - Return To New) which takes EVERYTHING back to stock. It will then make the phone to re-do the OTA activation that it did originally when it was first turned on (because it isn't activated anymore), updating network profile, PRL, firmware update check, etc.

This may help, but it just as easily could be network-related, not your phone.

I always wondered what RTN stood for. What's "SCRTN", then? "Save Customer-info Return To New"?

I always wondered what RTN stood for. What's "SCRTN", then? "Save Customer-info Return To New"?

I don't know for sure... my educated guess would be Selected Content Return To New. It only wipes out 4 programming items from the device memory. Your MDN, MSID, Slot 1 Data Profile, and HFA trigger I believe. My GS3 as evidenced above doesn't prompt for anything so it won't show what it clears ahead of time when asking for confirmation, since it doesn't require any confirmation like it is supposed to. All other information is left intact, so it is non-destructive.

Just had this done to my phone this afternoon when I called Sprint to complain about missed calls and text messages not sending while on the phone. My call waiting also was not working properly. Once I punched in the same dialer code given to me by the CS Rep and my phone was re-provisioned all of those functions were 100% working again.

Yes an SCRTN wipes all programming on the device and initiates a partial network-side update as well to the OMA Device Management system.

Likely since you were on the phone with a rep, they fully refreshed the network side stuff before having you enter the code and having the phone re-do it's HFA.

I'm still amazed daily how such an easy fix can make such a big difference. I just don't understand how it all gets messed up i nthe first place. A "nuke it from orbit" approach definitely works for HFA though that's for sure.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit new to all of this, but I have a flashed, rooted gs3 and I can't connect to Google-associated apps, such as the playstore. Tried pretty much every solution I've come across. Will this code affect any of my data, like pics and music?

Well if it is ONLY the google/play store stuff, and the rest of the internet works on your data connection, then I would say it does not have anything to do with these codes.

But to answer your question;

read post #3 of this thread.

• Like 1

Well if it is ONLY the google/play store stuff, and the rest of the internet works on your data connection, then I would say it does not have anything to do with these codes.

But to answer your question;

read post #3 of this thread.

Thanks, I just can't seem to find a solution to this one :/ Cache isn't the issue, and I've already deleted that hosts file.

it sounds like you may have bogus, mismatched or corrupted login info in one or more of the google apps.

you could try going into your settings > apps, look for all the google related apps and clear their data. in particular, google play services and google services framework

you should then be able to re-log in to the play store and other google apps.

if none of that works, you should bite the bullet and copy all your pictures etc off and completely wipe and start from scratch.

it sounds like you may have bogus, mismatched or corrupted login info in one or more of the google apps.

you could try going into your settings > apps, look for all the google related apps and clear their data. in particular, google play services and google services framework

you should then be able to re-log in to the play store and other google apps.

if none of that works, you should bite the bullet and copy all your pictures etc off and completely wipe and start from scratch.

Funny thing, I see a lot of people referencing this "google services framework", yet I dont seem to have that...

Funny thing, I see a lot of people referencing this "google services framework", yet I dont seem to have that...

Yeah that is probably why you are having Google problems. Might want to Google gapps apk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4