On sprints website there is information about tower upgrades like data speeds upgrades and data capacity upgrades. he tower in my area is going to have (or already has) a data speed upgrade and I would like to know what that is? I doubt it is 4g because I live in a rural area and from what I have read, sprint isn't going to upgrade to evdo rev b. Also, my phone is connected to evdo rev a:8 and my dads is rev a:6 and I would like to know what the difference is and what the numbers mean. I am curious because my data speeds have been horribly slow the last few days, as apposed to the good data speeds i can usually get, and i would like to know if the slow speeds could be because of the tower being upgraded. I am sorry for the long post but 3g is my only internet connection at my house and I would like to know what is going on. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jone951

On sprints website there is information about tower upgrades like data speeds upgrades and data capacity upgrades. he tower in my area is going to have (or already has) a data speed upgrade and I would like to know what that is? I doubt it is 4g because I live in a rural area and from what I have read, sprint isn't going to upgrade to evdo rev b. Also, my phone is connected to evdo rev a:8 and my dads is rev a:6 and I would like to know what the difference is and what the numbers mean. I am curious because my data speeds have been horribly slow the last few days, as apposed to the good data speeds i can usually get, and i would like to know if the slow speeds could be because of the tower being upgraded. I am sorry for the long post but 3g is my only internet connection at my house and I would like to know what is going on. Thanks in advance!

Correct, Sprint is not upgrading to EVDO Rev B. The updates on Sprint's site are maintenance upgrades to the legacy network until Network Vision is done. I believe "Data Speed Upgrade" = more backhaul to the tower, or in simple terms - more bandwidth to the internet. Not sure on the a:8 vs a:6 deal, someone can chime in.

I've noticed that on my MoPhoQ 4G LTE....I'll half to look but my Evo Shift is connected to EvDo-revA:6 and my MoPhoQ LTE is EvDo revA:8....my MoPhoQ gets faster speeds than my Evo Shift....hmmmm...something might half to do with it being an LTE phone and PRL is 55006 vs 60690 on the Shift.....it makes me wonder

I practically guarantee that EV-DO Rev A:6 is just EV-DO Rev A, while EV-DO Rev A:8 is eHRPD. Additionally, I have seen other Samsung and Motorola handsets display LTE:14. The numbers seem to indicate sort of a network protocol revision that rolls up at least CDMA1X, EV-DO, W-CDMA, and LTE, maybe GSM, too.

AJ

I practically guarantee that EV-DO Rev A:6 is just EV-DO Rev A, while EV-DO Rev A:8 is eHRPD. Additionally, I have seen other Samsung and Motorola handsets display LTE:14. The numbers seem to indicate sort of a network protocol revision that rolls up at least CDMA1X, EV-DO, W-CDMA, and LTE, maybe GSM, too.

AJ

Connected to my Airave and it says EVDO Rev A:8

I've noticed that on my MoPhoQ 4G LTE....I'll half to look but my Evo Shift is connected to EvDo-revA:6 and my MoPhoQ LTE is EvDo revA:8....my MoPhoQ gets faster speeds than my Evo Shift....hmmmm...something might half to do with it being an LTE phone and PRL is 55006 vs 60690 on the Shift.....it makes me wonder

Prls updates havent had any changes for native Sprint Evdo in a looooooong time.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Connected to my Airave and it says EVDO Rev A:8

Okay. Are you connected to an LTE/eHRPD core?

AJ

Connected only to the Airave (3 ft away 57 RSSI)

That does not answer my question. An Airave is just a pico cell with IP backhaul. An EV-DO connection through the Airave does not hit the Internet directly; it still hits the Internet through a proxy much deeper in the network. You have an LTE capable handset. Is it tunneling to an LTE core for an eHRPD connection?

AJ

That does not answer my question. An Airave is just a pico cell with IP backhaul. An EV-DO connection through the Airave does not hit the Internet directly; it still hits the Internet through a proxy much deeper in the network. You have an LTE capable handset. Is it tunneling to an LTE core for an eHRPD connection?

AJ

Not sure how I would know the answer to that question. I work in IT, but certainly am not an expert in cellular data networking. Just posting my observations.

Not sure how I would know the answer to that question. I work in IT, but certainly am not an expert in cellular data networking. Just posting my observations.

View the engineering screens built in to your Galaxy S3. Use the dialer code ##DEBUG#, then the unlock code SPRINT.

AJ

I practically guarantee that EV-DO Rev A:6 is just EV-DO Rev A, while EV-DO Rev A:8 is eHRPD. Additionally, I have seen other Samsung and Motorola handsets display LTE:14. The numbers seem to indicate sort of a network protocol revision that rolls up at least CDMA1X, EV-DO, W-CDMA, and LTE, maybe GSM, too. AJ

If Rev A:8 is eHRPD, should I be seeing a significant data speed increase? I changed my network type to CDMA instead of CDMA/LTE and i was still connected to Rev A:8. I very well may be wrong but doesn't that mean that it is not eHRPD?

eHRPD shouldn't affect data speeds in and of itself; all it does is "proxy" your IP between the LTE and CDMA-EVDO networks so when you hand-off between 3G and 4G you don't change addresses (so any data sessions in progress can make the jump). It reduces problems like "Page not found" errors when you're in the browser and a 3G->4G or 4G->3G hand-off happens.

Presumably, eventually, ideally each handset will able to have a long-term Mobile IPv6 address that follows it regardless of network (so cellular-Wifi handoff will be seamless too), but for now eHRPD is a baby step in the right direction.

• Like 2