Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

It appears network Vision is ACTUALLY progressing in NYC. I just got great speeds from a tower where I normally get 600-800kbps. I can see the panels from my window, but I never noticed anyone changing them and I can't remember if there are any new ones. Do any of these look like NV? I think the two big huge ones (lower) might be new. This is at the corner of 70th and York Avenue, a tower that was supposed to go live this month.

post-604-0-48976400-1345848051_thumb.jpg

Here's the speed I got. Also I was on a phone call at the time. Didn't know we could do voice and data at the same time now. th_Screenshot_2012-08-24-18-19-32.png

Edit: Those are in fact, new panels. I found an old pick I took and they were not there before.

th_521281_3625155862595_1799804031_n.jpg

Edited by Ace41690
  • Like 1

Here's the speed I got. Also I was on a phone call at the time. Didn't know we could do voice and data at the same time now. th_Screenshot_2012-08-24-18-19-32.png

If your profile is right, you can't do simultaneous voice and 3G at the same time on the SGS II. Only SVWiMAX & SV-WiFi.

Unless the call is over VoIP.

I think sprint has to get as much as they can get done in big cities ASAP. By the time iphone 5 comes you they gotta be able to have the network up and running even in limited areas in the city. Otherwise their sales or support lines might light up for about a month until their "scheduled" start of NYC.

If your profile is right, you can't do simultaneous voice and 3G at the same time on the SGS II. Only SVWiMAX & SV-WiFi.

Unless the call is over VoIP.

If I'm correct, I believe that both the HTC Evo LTE and Samsung GS III can do SVDO 3G & 4G. So perhaps he has upgraded his phone, but not on his S4GRU profile.

If I'm correct, I believe that both the HTC Evo LTE and Samsung GS III can do SVDO 3G & 4G. So perhaps he has upgraded his phone, but not on his S4GRU profile.

I think you're right. His screen shot is showing SVDO (that's what happens when the notification bar turns green). It sure looks like a GS3 screen to me.

Robert

Edit: Those are in fact, new panels. I found an old pick I took and they were not there before.

th_521281_3625155862595_1799804031_n.jpg

I especially love the fact that you were also on Grindr at the time. LOL. : o )

• Like 1

I especially love the fact that you were also on Grindr at the time. LOL. : o )

Where I come from, a grinder is a sandwich. Now I'm hungry.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I think sprint has to get as much as they can get done in big cities ASAP. By the time iphone 5 comes you they gotta be able to have the network up and running even in limited areas in the city. Otherwise their sales or support lines might light up for about a month until their "scheduled" start of NYC.

I will have to disagree with you on this point, as much as it will be a selling point for people to be able to use their LTE iPhones, it is not worth screwing up the deployment schedule to make a few people happier. They will be largely done in a little over a year, so it will be out quickly. If they screw up and people don't trust their new network, the effect could be catastrophic for the company, as it could cause a mass-exodus of customers. They need to stick to their plans and not fall behind schedule, they have a plan for new backhaul to be ran and all the equipment to be replaced at every site, so its not like they can just go and turn on any tower whenever they feel like it. When it is done, it will be so much better than vzw's plan because it will cover the entire sprint network, and not just focus on the high density cities first.

And for those loyal to the iPhone, they will probably get the phone either way. And if the sales reps are even 1/10th as educated as the members of this site, they will know that it will only be a year for most to wait until LTE goodness graces everyone.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. Sprint doesn't need to change its deployment plans. They just need to get on schedule and stay on schedule. Their schedule is aggressive but doable. And then they need to well communicate that schedule to everyone.

Robert

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. Sprint doesn't need to change its deployment plans. They just need to get on schedule and stay on schedule. Their schedule is aggressive but doable. And then they need to well communicate that schedule to everyone.

Robert

Hey Robert is Sprint replacing all its backhaul on all towers? Or are they just adding new towers? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Hey Robert is Sprint replacing all its backhaul on all towers? Or are they just adding new towers? Sorry if this has been answered before.

All the equipment and backhaul is being upgraded at all 38,000 Sprint CDMA sites. There are not many new additional sites being added.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

So sometimes I've noticed I get bad speeds from this tower (400-500kps), while other times I get the great NV speeds (2mbps). I noticed they left the old antenna in the middle, are they both broadcasting and I'm switching between the two or something? Also These new panels are only on this one corner of the building, there is nothing pointing in any other directions.

• Like 1

This tower is now marked 3G active on the NV sites map, but performance has taken a huge dive. I hope this is not what NV turns out to be... Any explanation for this? NY25XC800

th_Screenshot_2012-09-05-13-08-22.png

You cannot be certain, especially in a place like New York, that you are even connected to the same site. Have you verified the BSID number is the same in your Debug Engineering screens on the sites with good and bad speeds?

Robert

You cannot be certain, especially in a place like New York, that you are even connected to the same site. Have you verified the BSID number is the same in your Debug Engineering screens on the sites with good and bad speeds?

Robert

...How do I do that?

While I realize there are a million towers here, the fact that I can see this particular tower out my window, (i.e. I am 100ft away from it), makes me doubt I would be connected to a different one. It was also down the other day (probably related to NV), which resulted in me only having 2 or 3 bars, as opposed to full signal which I have now (although I realize this displays 1X not Evdo signal).

...How do I do that?

While I realize there are a million towers here, the fact that I can see this particular tower out my window, (i.e. I am 100ft away from it), makes me doubt I would be connected to a different one. It was also down the other day (probably related to NV), which resulted in me only having 2 or 3 bars, as opposed to full signal which I have now (although I realize this displays 1X not Evdo signal).

CDMA devices do not even know which sites are closer. They use the EcIo ratio to determine which is the best site/carrier for you to use. Whenever usage of the site goes up, or conenction is iminished, your device will start scanning other sites/carrier for one with a better EcIo ratio. The data speed is not a factor in the EcIo ratio, unfortunately.

If you have several sites within range, it may switch you to many different sites several times per minute without you being aware. I am not saying this is the issue you are experiencing. But it may be.

To find out which site your EVDO is connected to a GS3, go to your dialer and enter ##DEBUG#. Enter in the lock code 777468. Go to the EVDO Engineering Protocol and look for the Sector ID and Channel and take note of them. When you have fast performance and slow performance, see if these are the same. If the Sector ID is different, than you were on two different sites. If only the Channel is different, then you were on the same site, but different channel.

It will be interesting to see where you are connected when you get the reduced 3G performance.

Robert

• Like 1

Hmm okay. Well right now it says Sector ID: 4099 chanel 425 and I just got a crappy test.

I'll see if it changes, I haven't got a good speed test since the day I posted this thread though. Is it possible that the legacy equipment is still transmitting? They haven't taken the other panel off yet.

• Like 1

Hmm okay. Well right now it says Sector ID: 4099 chanel 425 and I just got a crappy test.

I'll see if it changes, I haven't got a good speed test since the day I posted this thread though. Is it possible that the legacy equipment is still transmitting? They haven't taken the other panel off yet.

I haven't seen any instance of that happening. But I suppose it is possible. Or using legacy backhaul. If so, then the legacy would have to be on different channels than the NV, or they will interfere. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Robert

I haven't seen any instance of that happening. But I suppose it is possible. Or using legacy backhaul. If so, then the legacy would have to be on different channels than the NV, or they will interfere. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Robert

I've seen this in Boston - new equipment on old backhaul.

Probably just waiting on new backhaul?

Ok well now I am leaving work and Just got 2mbps down. It says I am now on sector 4098 instead of 4099. Channel 675 instead of 425.

Also it is later and everyone has gone home from work. So I don't know what to make of this. There are only two NV antennas on top of this building and there is one legacy antenna still left in the middle.

• Like 1