FreedomPop extends agreement to Sprint 3G and LTE

Abyss19707

FreedomPop announced today that they now have an agreement with Sprint to use their 3G and LTE network. They will initially launch using Clearwire's WiMax network. By the end of the year FreedomPop will start deploying sleeves with Sprint's 3G and LTE support. In 2013 FreedomPop will stop using Clearwire's network for Sprint's but may go back to Clearwire for extra capacity. For more info go to the following link: http://gigaom.com/mobile/mvno-freedompop-swaps-clearwires-wimax-for-sprints-lte/

FreedomPop announced today that they now have an agreement with Sprint to use their 3G and LTE network. They will initially launch using Clearwire's WiMax network. By the end of the year FreedomPop will start deploying sleeves with Sprint's 3G and LTE support. In 2013 FreedomPop will stop using Clearwire's network for Sprint's but may go back to Clearwire for extra capacity. For more info go to the following link: http://gigaom.com/mo...or-sprints-lte/

I edited the title to better differentiate this thread from another FreedomPop thread.

Robert

• Like 1

As long as the network can handle the extra users, or can be upgraded to do so cost-effectively, it makes perfect sense. More customers means more revenue, which Sprint still desperately needs.

Why is Sprint doing this??? Save the LTE for the postpaid customers.

As long as the network can handle the extra users, or can be upgraded to do so cost-effectively, it makes perfect sense. More customers means more revenue, which Sprint still desperately needs.

Eric...like dmchssc eludes to above, your comments must be predicated on the belief that the new Sprint network will be managed the same as the old Sprint network. Sprint cannot manage things like that post Network Vision. And I don't think they will. The revenue from MVNO's must pay for the increased carriers that will be needed because of the additional strain. I'm sure that it's factored in. And if it still makes them money beyond that, then I say the more the merrier.

So far, the amount of customers from any one MVNO is negligible. I like to think of MVNO's as little marketing and pricing model laboratories. If one becomes successful, Sprint will have to adopt similar strategies to keep from losing customers to the MVNO. The fact that Sprint doesn't feel threatened, but rather embraces MVNO's, makes me feel good about Sprint's long term vision.

Robert

• Like 6

Eric...like dmchssc eludes to above, your comments must be predicated on the belief that the new Sprint network will be managed the same as the old Sprint network. Sprint cannot manage things like that post Network Vision. And I don't think they will. The revenue from MVNO's must pay for the increased carriers that will be needed because of the additional strain. I'm sure that it's factored in. And if it still makes them money beyond that, then I say the more the merrier.

So far, the amount of customers from any one MVNO is negligible. I like to think of MVNO's as little marketing and pricing model laboratories. If one becomes successful, Sprint will have to adopt similar strategies to keep from losing customers to the MVNO. The fact that Sprint doesn't feel threatened, but rather embraces MVNO's, makes me feel good about Sprint's long term vision.

Robert

Thanks for knocking sense into me once again. You are always the voice of reason :lol: .

• Like 1

Hmm...if FreedomPop can get LTE, it sure would be nice if Virgin Mobile could as well. Ting's cool and all, but its phones are quite expensive, what with no subsidy and all that.

Hmm...if FreedomPop can get LTE, it sure would be nice if Virgin Mobile could as well. Ting's cool and all, but its phones are quite expensive, what with no subsidy and all that.

Sprint probably likes FreedomPop more because it is a means of all their non 4G iPhones a way to access their new LTE network. Although, Sprint should cut the middle man and offer the same exact sleeve to their iPhone customers.

Robert

Why would the iPhone Sleeves need 3G Support if the iPhone already has 3G?

For Verizon or AT&T customers on tiered plans? Someone who wants to set their phone up to use freedompop all the time...

• Like 2

What's the difference in pricing between the ZTE Peel on Sprint and Virgin?I do be believe that LTE would eventually make its way to Virgin. Also, I never saw the point of offering the Peel on Sprint.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

I can't see Sprint offering LTE to Virgin or Boost Mobile anytime soon after it just launched its Wimax phone lineup to them. I think another couple years from now after Sprint is finished blanketing LTE nationwide and the Wimax contract is winding down first we can see Sprint offering LTE to Virgin and Boost Mobile and by then there should be enough LTE carriers to accommodate everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting! So if you have:

1) iPhone or iPod touch $199

2) FreedomPop $99

3) Google Voice (free)

4) Talkatone (free) - which lets you use Google Voice to make and receive calls

Congratulations...you now have free data, voice and text.

• Like 1