Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I don't always trust speedtest.net anyways. I usually verify my speeds by going to http://www.thinkbroa...m/download.html and downloading one of the test files while watching bandwidth in real-time using a bandwidth monitor app (actually, NetTraffic Widget in this case).

ooo...that's a keeper.

gets around the speedboost effect with comcast...

Very pleased to say I not only got 4g from Elmhurst to glen Ellyn on the metra, but during that time I got 32.06 down!!! Holy crap I love this! I actually brought my touchpad with to tether and stream Netflix today. Sprint's network is becoming usable again and I am a happy man! Yes Robert and the team behind the writings have saved sprint customers. I am one who makes this statement true because of the info I have learned on this site. Thanks to all of you for the valuable information!

Any fellow S4G'ers in the Carol Stream/Glendale Heights area? My sister, brother-in-law, nephew and mother live in that general area and they are having a heck of a time making/receiving calls. It's been happening since June and that area seems to be bordered to the south by legacy towers which is causing their issues. They are ticked off and want me to call Sprint to cancel their lines and be released ETF free. I keep trying to reassure them it will get better, but that central section of Chicagoland seems to be late in the game to get NV :(

Does anyone know how much longer before that area to gets some NV love?

Completely coincidence. There is nothing about eHRPD that is slower. It is just a software upgrade that allows EVDO to maintain the same IP as LTE for seamless hand offs.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Maybe it is just me but I do not find this to be correct. If I change my network to CDMA Only, my data speeds are drastically better than when I have CDMA/LTE on. When I have CDMA Only on, it connects to EVDO Rev. A. When I have CDMA/LTE on, I connect to eHRPD. I have an Evo 4G LTE and my wife does as well. Both phones have the same results. EVDO Rev. A. Speeds stay pretty consistently between 1-2.5mbps. With eHRPD, I would be extremely lucky to hit .5mbps. I tested this theory at home and at work, 12 miles from home. I was really shocked to see the drastic distance.

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE going through AnthraX withdrawal!

this is the screen. Its like it refuses to pick up the 4g signal unless you turn off the 3g.

You have to cycle airplane mode on the EVO LTE in order for it to get a 4G signal. If it has a 3G connection, it will not look for a 4G signal. I hope they fix this soon with an OTA or something, that can't possibly be how it's supposed to work right?

Thanks for this site, it's amazing. I'm unfortunately not a suburbanite, and in the sponsor section, the list of completed NV sites basically has a giant hole encircling pretty much all of the city of Chicago.

1) network.sprint.com "data capacity" upgrade does not correlate to NV, correct? because according to that, there are no data upgrades at all near my tower, and I am still getting worse speeds than dialup.

2) my nearest tower due for NV upgrade is 0.6 miles away. do i have any hope of getting decent speeds?

3) is NV is a prerequisite for LTE? would these upgrades happen simultaneously maybe?

it's so ridiculous that I also live near a sprint store (about a mile away) and speeds around there are horrendous... with no hope of resolution in sight. they're also so complacent at that store about terrible speeds!

well, jealous of all you people in the suburbs (never thought I'd be saying this)

4G LTE is very good now in the Lake County area north of Lake Cook Rd. for the past week. However, can someone explain the technology between switching from 3G to 4G LTE? When I enter a building from a well saturated area of LTE outside with no issues driving for about 20 minutes connected to super fast LTE, and then when I enter the building it goes to 3G. This is understandable when in the building. However, when I come out and take the same route home there is no connection to LTE at all. It only works if I cycle through LTE/CDMA or update the PRL list. Isn't this suppose to be the opposite of the WiMAX disaster? Can someone take me through the technology? FYI this is a well saturated area of 4G LTE with no issues outside for 1 week now.

Maybe it is just me but I do not find this to be correct. If I change my network to CDMA Only' date=' my data speeds are drastically better than when I have CDMA/LTE on. When I have CDMA Only on, it connects to EVDO Rev. A. When I have CDMA/LTE on, I connect to eHRPD. I have an Evo 4G LTE and my wife does as well. Both phones have the same results. EVDO Rev. A. Speeds stay pretty consistently between 1-2.5mbps. With eHRPD, I would be extremely lucky to hit .5mbps. I tested this theory at home and at work, 12 miles from home. I was really shocked to see the drastic distance.

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE going through AnthraX withdrawal![/quote']

I'm sorry that you cannot find this to be correct. But it is. There is nothing about eHRPD that makes it slower than EVDO-A. It is the same exact technology, except eHRPD data is routed through the LTE core instead of the MSC (switch) so it can maintain the same IP address as LTE. This allows for data hand offs between LTE and 3G.

Now, I do not want to minimize your observations. I believe you when you say that you are observing eHRPD is slower than EVDO-A, and I will explain why.

eHRPD and EVDO-A are broadcast from the same tower on the same channel using the same technology and the same backhaul. It is one signal, not two different signals. However, if your device is in CDMA only mode, your data from your device goes from the site through backhaul to a Sprint MSC switching center is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

If your device is in CDMA/LTE mode and your site has been upgraded to eHRPD, when your device data gets to the site, it goes through the backhaul to a 4G LTE core instead of the MSC. There it is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

So, the only difference in performance between eHRPD and EVDO-A on the same site occurs at the MSC vs. the LTE core. Everything else is identical between the two. Each site in the Sprint network is tied to a very specific MSC for 1x voice and EVDO data. Sprint has dozens of MSC's scattered around the country. When that MSC experiences problems or has a logjam, it affects all the sites connected to it. And EVDO can slow down (although this is not the big culprit in Sprint 3G deterioration).

In contrast to how the MSC's handle 1x and 3G EVDO data, 3G eHRPD and 4G LTE data are processed through 4G cores. Unlike MSC, sites are not limited to only one core. Sprint is setting up their 4G LTE cores to be dynamic. So if one core is too busy, data can be routed to a different under burdened core.

So, as you can see in this explanation, it is much less likely that eHRPD will get slowed down by the network than EVDO will. LTE cores are very under burdened at this time. However, many Sprint MSC's are at capacity and sometimes exceed capacity. If something 3G gets slowed down by the network, it is going to almost always be EVDO.

That being said, there are two possible issues that I can think of that can be the reason why you are experiencing slower eHRPD speeds than EVDO.

1. You are connected to different sites/carriers and not aware

2. You may need to change speed test servers

Whenever you change from CDMA only to CDMA/LTE, it forces your device to rescan all the channels available to your device. And in a place like Chicago, there will likely be several sites available for your device to connect to. In your instance, there may be dozens of channel/site connection scenarios that you can end up with.

This makes it extremely difficult to do an Apples to Apples comparison of eHRPD and EVDO. Because each channel and each site are going to have different loads. Vastly different. And thus will have very different performance. I'm suggesting that you may be connecting eHRPD on a channel that is saturated. But you are connecting to a completely different EVDO channel (maybe even from another site) that is not having problems.

And it is quite possible where you are at, that eHRPD may not even be deployed at all on the site near you that is performing well, and you are getting eHRPD from a more distant site and thus the performance difference. There are a lot of variables here.

The best way to check this is to access your internal Debug menu and check the EVDO Engineering and eHRPD Engineering screens. Monitor which site/channel combinations you have with good and bad performance. They will likely be different.

Reason #2 above is also a common issue. You should change speed test servers that you use when comparing EVDO and eHRPD. And here is why...

Since EVDO connects to the internet at an MSC Center and eHRPD connects to the internet through a 4G core, they can be hundreds or even a thousand miles apart. So the speed test server that is ideal for EVDO data is not likely going to be ideal for the eHRPD.

The next time you get lesser eHRPD performance than EVDO, change your speed test servers. Try a good half dozen or so, expanding out a few hundred miles each time and see if the results improved. I did this when doing performance testing in the Waco FIT a few weeks ago and was surprised how different the speed tests were initially between EVDO and eHRPD on the same site/channel. However, switching eHRPD from a Ft. Worth speed test server to a Houston one and the eHRPD pulled roughly the same speeds as the EVDO.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 7

I'm sorry that you cannot find this to be correct. But it is. There is nothing about eHRPD that makes it slower than EVDO-A. It is the same exact technology, except eHRPD data is routed through the LTE core instead of the MSC (switch) so it can maintain the same IP address as LTE. This allows for data hand offs between LTE and eHRPD.

Now, I do not want to minimize your observations. I believe you when you say that you are observing eHRPD is slower than EVDO-A, and I will explain why.

eHRPD and EVDO-A are broadcast from the same tower on the same channel using the same technology and the same backhaul. It is one signal, not two different signals. However, if your device is in CDMA only mode, your data from your device goes from the site through backhaul to a Sprint MSC switching center is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

If your device is in CDMA/LTE mode and your site has been upgraded to eHRPD, when your device data gets to the site, it goes through the backhaul to a 4G LTE core instead of the MSC. There it is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

So, the only difference in performance between eHRPD and EVDO-A on the same site occurs at the MSC vs. the LTE core. Everything else is identical between the two. Each site in the Sprint network is tied to a very specific MSC for 1x voice and EVDO data. Sprint has dozens of MSC's scattered around the country. When that MSC experiences problems or has a logjam, it affects all the sites connected to it. And EVDO can slow down (although this is not the big culprit in Sprint 3G deterioration).

In contrast to how the MSC's handle 1x and 3G EVDO data, 3G eHRPD and 4G LTE data are processed through 4G cores. Unlike MSC, sites are not limited to only one core. Sprint is setting up their 4G LTE cores to be dynamic. So if one core is too busy, data can be routed to a different under burdened core.

So, as you can see in this explanation, it is much less likely that eHRPD will get slowed down by the network than EVDO will. LTE cores are very under burdened at this time. However, many Sprint MSC's are at capacity and sometimes exceed capacity. If something 3G gets slowed down by the network, it is going to almost always be EVDO.

That being said, there are two possible issues that I can think of that can be the reason why you are experiencing slower eHRPD speeds than EVDO.

1. You are connected to different sites/carriers and not aware

2. You may need to change speed test servers

Whenever you change from CDMA only to CDMA/LTE, it forces your device to rescan all the channels available to your device. And in a place like Chicago, there will likely be several sites available for your device to connect to. In your instance, there may be dozens of channel/site connection scenarios that you can end up with.

This makes it extremely difficult to do an Apples to Apples comparison of eHRPD and EVDO. Because each channel and each site are going to have different loads. Vastly different. And thus will have very different performance. I'm suggesting that you may be connecting eHRPD on a channel that is saturated. But you are connecting to a completely different EVDO channel (maybe even from another site) that is not having problems.

And it is quite possible where you are at, that eHRPD may not even be deployed at all on the site near you that is performing well, and you are getting eHRPD from a more distant site and thus the performance difference. There are a lot of variables here.

The best way to check this is to access your internal Debug menu and check the EVDO Engineering and eHRPD Engineering screens. Monitor which site/channel combinations you have with good and bad performance. They will likely be different.

Reason #2 above is also a common issue. You should change speed test servers that you use when comparing EVDO and eHRPD. And here is why...

Since EVDO connects to the internet at an MSC Center and eHRPD connects to the internet through a 4G core, they can be hundreds or even a thousand miles apart. So the speed test server that is ideal for EVDO data is not likely going to be ideal for the eHRPD.

The next time you get lesser eHRPD performance than EVDO, change your speed test servers. Try a good half dozen or so, expanding out a few hundred miles each time and see if the results improved. I did this when doing performance testing in the Waco FIT a few weeks ago and was surprised how different the speed tests were initially between EVDO and eHRPD on the same site/channel. However, switching eHRPD from a Ft. Worth speed test server to a Houston one and the eHRPD pulled the same speeds.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Would you mind expanding on this a little...? ;)

• Like 3

this is the screen. Its like it refuses to pick up the 4g signal unless you turn off the 3g. My buddy has a gs3 and we are standing in the same room and his phone finds the 4g with no problems. With my evo I have to fight with all day im just sick of it!

You have to cycle airplane mode on the EVO LTE in order for it to get a 4G signal. If it has a 3G connection, it will not look for a 4G signal. I hope they fix this soon with an OTA or something, that can't possibly be how it's supposed to work right?

EVOLTE is notoriously bad for LTE connections, as you have to be almost standing under a tower for it to pick up. I do believe I read they were going to release something that should help with it, via an OTA update. Of course, this is just hearsay as I don't know if it's a software problem (fixable via OTA) or hardware problem with the radio itself.

I know the GSIII just released an OTA the other day to help with LTE connections and such. I'm rooted and the ROM I'm running hasn't updated yet, so don't have it, but should shortly.

Any fellow S4G'ers in the Carol Stream/Glendale Heights area? My sister, brother-in-law, nephew and mother live in that general area and they are having a heck of a time making/receiving calls. It's been happening since June and that area seems to be bordered to the south by legacy towers which is causing their issues. They are ticked off and want me to call Sprint to cancel their lines and be released ETF free. I keep trying to reassure them it will get better, but that central section of Chicagoland seems to be late in the game to get NV :(

Does anyone know how much longer before that area to gets some NV love?

I don't think there is a set schedule for what clusters are getting upgraded and when. At least, not that I'm aware of. I'm hoping the one near 290/90 gets upgraded soon as I work near there. Good luck getting them out ETF free though, that won't happen. Sprint will remind you of that nice contract they/you signed and tell you they're working on a resolution.

Robert said the whole Chicago network will be complete by year end. Even though I see that as a stretch, I believe him. He hasn't led any of us wrong yet, so why start now? Of course, this is barring any serious setbacks, which are always possible. However, if that rings true, Sprint will have the best network in Chicago when this is done, and that's supposedly only three months away.

Since Carol Steam is outside the city proper, I would expect those to get upgraded quicker than inside the Loop for example. Don't quote me on a date, but I would guess that area would see upgraded towers in the least (to fix the handoff dropping call) in the next 2-3 weeks.

There have been a couple trailers and trucks parked at one of the towers I drive by to go to work since Thursday of last week. I've seen a few guys out there as I drive by but haven't seen them up on the tower or anything and haven't noticed any changes. The tower has been 3G complete since probably May. When they come to do the rest of the work after the 3G stuff is done, do they have to go back up on the tower and add more panels and/or RRUs, or is that pretty much taken care of with the initial 3G work? Usually when i'm driving home after work, they've already closed the trailers up and left, but if I get the opportunity I might stop by and see what they're up to.

sprint must be doing something in joliet. Im getting a nice 4g signal finally about 12 down and 10 up. yesterday at my house I was lucky to get 3 down. My girl just got home and said she got a strong 4g signal in new lenox on her way home an hour ago. Sprints making my decision to stay look brilliant!..... So far

Norridge screaming at 20meg!!!! The Calvary arrived Bobby! I want to take back all those nasty things I said about'cha. I came from AT&T still disgruntled and i took it out on you. (U prolly don't remember but i do) For this i apologize. You're site turned out to be my most informative out there. Thank you

from Chicago!

• Like 1

Norridge screaming at 20meg!!!! The Calvary arrived Bobby! I want to take back all those nasty things I said about'cha. I came from AT&T still disgruntled and i took it out on you. (U prolly don't remember but i do) For this i apologize. You're site turned out to be my most informative out there. Thank you

from Chicago!

I don't remember, but I am used to dealing with the disgruntled. But Congratulations all the same. I see someone already has been uploading coverage on Sensorly from the Norridge/Portage Park/Norwood Park areas. :tu:

Robert

sprint must be doing something in joliet. Im getting a nice 4g signal finally about 12 down and 10 up. yesterday at my house I was lucky to get 3 down. My girl just got home and said she got a strong 4g signal in new lenox on her way home an hour ago. Sprints making my decision to stay look brilliant!..... So far

I just got a taste of it as well out here. Check Sensorly, I mapped canton farm from 59 to 55. Now lets hope it keeps going west of 59..... Fingers crossed.....

• Like 1