Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Every time I'm in band 41 and I do a speedtest the upload part fails. I tried to see how fast carrier aggregated band 41 was and it reported an upload speed of 0.01mbps. It stayed at 0 for a while then went to 0.01. This happens any time on band 41. It works fine on any other band. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Every time I'm in band 41 and I do a speedtest the upload part fails. I tried to see how fast carrier aggregated band 41 was and it reported an upload speed of 0.01mbps. It stayed at 0 for a while then went to 0.01. This happens any time on band 41. It works fine on any other band. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nope. This is happening on every B41 site, just Clear sites, or just Sprint sites? It may be a device issue. To be cliche... have you updated your profile since this issue started?

Nope. This is happening on every B41 site, just Clear sites, or just Sprint sites? It may be a device issue. To be cliche... have you updated your profile since this issue started?

Weren't you having an issue with something like this on Ookla app?

Weren't you having an issue with something like this on Ookla app?

Not this issue. The problem I had with Ookla was it didn't recognize Carrier Aggregation. I would see a download of 10-20 on Ookla, but 100+ on Sensorly. Upload was never affected. 

Not this issue. The problem I had with Ookla was it didn't recognize Carrier Aggregation. I would see a download of 10-20 on Ookla, but 100+ on Sensorly. Upload was never affected.

Have you tried different servers? Different servers yield different results.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes, it was the Ookla app, not the servers. Most of the time it works correctly now, though I have yet to see a 100+ result. I can regularly get 100+ results with Sensorly. 

Well since I posted that it's been working on some sites, but not others. I also noticed that sometimes data stops working on band 41. It says I have connection but none of my apps can access the Internet. If I toggle airplane mode, it puts me onto a different band temporarily and everything works fine again until it moves me back to band 41. Again this doesn't happen on all towers, but only some. It could be a device issue; I'm running a htc one m8 with a Google Play Edition rom, but nobody else in that thread has reported this. But it seems strange to me that I don't have an issue on some sites, but I do on others. Maybe I'll flash back to a stock rom and see what happens

Well since I posted that it's been working on some sites, but not others. I also noticed that sometimes data stops working on band 41. It says I have connection but none of my apps can access the Internet. If I toggle airplane mode, it puts me onto a different band temporarily and everything works fine again until it moves me back to band 41. Again this doesn't happen on all towers, but only some. It could be a device issue; I'm running a htc one m8 with a Google Play Edition rom, but nobody else in that thread has reported this. But it seems strange to me that I don't have an issue on some sites, but I do on others. Maybe I'll flash back to a stock rom and see what happens

This could be related to some second carrier issues cropping up in Chicagoland. Guys on the premiere section are talking about it.

• Like 1

My brother and dad and have been having data issues with HTC One M8s the last week or so. My dad was in town over the weekend, and I watched his phone struggle to get a usable signal while my G4 sat on B41 with no problems. Updating the profile and restarting it seemed to fix the issue for the remainder of his visit. I haven't heard if he has had any more problems since then. 

• Like 1

This could be related to some second carrier issues cropping up in Chicagoland. Guys on the premiere section are talking about it.

My brother and dad and have been having data issues with HTC One M8s the last week or so. My dad was in town over the weekend, and I watched his phone struggle to get a usable signal while my G4 sat on B41 with no problems. Updating the profile and restarting it seemed to fix the issue for the remainder of his visit. I haven't heard if he has had any more problems since then.

I'll give that a go and see what happens. Hopefully it's that simple of a fix! ????

So either I can't remember how to get to LTE Only now or its different on Marshmallow than Lollipop I switched to Marshmallow around the same time as this trip. I am not rooted and don't have my MSL so I didn't need it then.

So slightly off topic but drove out to Hermann just to see if LTE roaming on US Cellular was indeed working... Had to go to LTE only because my phone was still trying to keep a 1x800 connection speed isn't too bad either for roaming and being in a rural area... I have Signal Check on since Washington and went out Hwy 100 to 19 probably going down 19 to 50 then back to Union had a lot of converted towers that I don't have site notes for if anyone wants the log when I get done let me know

31fafdb4b6a343e227e7036a63996c19.jpg015a295ac49f4d7fbb40169d73dd04f4.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm picking up carrier aggregated b25 in Rolla. I didn't get this before I left for winter break but now I am. According to the map, the tower closest to the school still doesn't even have band26 upgrades yet which is interesting

I'm picking up carrier aggregated b25 in Rolla. I didn't get this before I left for winter break but now I am. According to the map, the tower closest to the school still doesn't even have band26 upgrades yet which is interesting

As far as I know sprint isn't deploying carrier aggregation on b25 and devices don't support it. Your probably seeing just a second band 25 carrier but they are most likely not aggregated.

As far as I know sprint isn't deploying carrier aggregation on b25 and devices don't support it. Your probably seeing just a second band 25 carrier but they are most likely not aggregated.

Correct, they are not aggregated. The current deployment does not support CA on B25.

Sprint had been deploying a second B25 carrier all across the Missouri market over the last couple of weeks. It was first spotted in Illinois, then quickly spread across St. Louis into central Missouri and down to Springfield and Branson.

Sent from my LG G4

Correct, they are not aggregated. The current deployment does not support CA on B25.

Sprint had been deploying a second B25 carrier all across the Missouri market over the last couple of weeks. It was first spotted in Illinois, then quickly spread across St. Louis into central Missouri and down to Springfield and Branson.

Sent from my LG G4

Why the second carrier then? Will it be aggregated in the future?

Not unless Sprint goes back and replaces all of the their B25 RRUs. The 2nd carrier adds an extra 5MHz of capacity regardless of whether it's aggregated or not.

Not unless Sprint goes back and replaces all of the their B25 RRUs. The 2nd carrier adds an extra 5MHz of capacity regardless of whether it's aggregated or not.

It's hard for me to understand why sprint didn't build their network capable of doing CA on b25. Was this technology not available at the time when plans were made for network vision? I thought the point of it was to future proof the network.

It's hard for me to understand why sprint didn't build their network capable of doing CA on b25. Was this technology not available at the time when plans were made for network vision? I thought the point of it was to future proof the network.

Lte release 9 was finalized around 2011.

B25-25/25-26 carrier aggregation was standardized in Lte rel 11/12 which was finalized 2013-2015.

Sprint began network vision in 2011-2012.

• Like 1

It's still extra capacity, which is badly needed in some areas. Particularly in areas that don't have widespread (or any) B41 deployment. Peak speeds aren't everything.

• Like 1

It's still extra capacity, which is badly needed in some areas. Particularly in areas that don't have widespread (or any) B41 deployment. Peak speeds aren't everything.

so does the network choose which carrier you connect to to split the load?

I'm starting to see Extended Network LTE at places I've had solid Sprint LTE. Wonder what's going on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this spectrum they deployed with the US cellular spectrum they picked up or some that they refarmed?

For the most part, spectrum they rearmed since they only picked up USCC licenses around STL. The rest of the state didn't get that benefit.

so does the network choose which carrier you connect to to split the load?

Yep.

For the most part, spectrum they rearmed since they only picked up USCC licenses around STL. The rest of the state didn't get that benefit.

Yep.

My experience with the second b25 carrier is that it is staying at around 6-12 mbps while the first is a lot slower in my experience. I figured the two would be about the same.