Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Nothing new to see at the Dellwood rec center site but the service is the best I have ever gotten there by at least double the data of the next highest test and 10-20x normal. 1.23 mbps down/.52 up.

The ping was 172 ms. What's the normal ping for a site with NV level backhaul? Does the ping further improve with new cabinets and gear?

There really is no normal ping for EVDO. EVDO ping is dependent on two things, the airlink saturation and backhaul. Here is a little understanding of EVDO pings...

EVDO ping time is based on two things, airlink speed and backhaul speed. So the total ping is airlink ping in milliseconds plus backhaul ping in milliseconds. These two together is what you are essentially seeing in your speed tests.

If you have EVDO connected to backhaul that is running around 2-10ms, and the EVDO airlink is under 50%, then the total throughout ping could be as low as 50-60ms. Because the airlink portion is going to be 50ms alone, 25 each way in ideal circumstances, and you add the backhaul ping and the airlink ping together and get a total ping.

However, an EVDO carrier that is between 50% to 100% capacity, the airlink portion alone will be 75-200ms. And then you add the backhaul ping. Which could be 2ms to 100ms itself in normal circumstances.

So, all of these above would be normal EVDO operation pings. So EVDO can operate normally between approximately 50ms - 300ms ping times.

However, once over capacity, all bets are off. If the EVDO carrier is over capacity, and the air link gets saturated, then your data has to wait its turn to go through the airlink, so to speak. And this can push pings way up. Even over 1000ms (one second). Also, if the backhaul gets saturated, the same thing happens on that end...your data has to wait its turn before going through the pipe. Causing delay, and longer pings.

Hopefully all this makes sense.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

Robert I think you just provided one of the best explanations of all the factors involved in the ping times for the end user. I think that would be helpful to a lot of the people that are not as big into the tech as most of us here. :tu:

• Like 1

Another snow storm is getting ready to hit....I'd imagine any progress in the affected areas will be slowed for a bit.

Hopefully with the warmer temps Wednesday-Saturday will melt all of it away and they can get back to work!

So I snagged this speed test coming home from the store tonight, about half a mile West of Flying J.

2013-03-25_20-03-15_zps20221abb.png?t=1364261267

But when I got home, which is about another half mile away, it still hows the 4G icon, but am getting just over 3G speeds, about 2.8 down and 1.3 up inside the house.

Hope the crank up the power, boost the signal, something.

So I snagged this speed test coming home from the store tonight, about half a mile West of Flying J.

2013-03-25_20-03-15_zps20221abb.png?t=1364261267

But when I got home, which is about another half mile away, it still hows the 4G icon, but am getting just over 3G speeds, about 2.8 down and 1.3 up inside the house.

Hope the crank up the power, boost the signal, something.

I personally don't care about LTE inside my house. Just outside my front door, the places I go, and everywhere in between.

• Like 1

I personally don't care about LTE inside my house. Just outside my front door, the places I go, and everywhere in between.

QFT

I got wifi at home. I mostly care about work and were I am about. 30-60k here, I'd kill for 2.8m out and about.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

No, a new site. Unrelated. First truly NV site.

Dear NV Gods: Please let this be right outside of my office. I'm tired of being on the Extended Network whilst inside. :lol:

Dear NV Gods: Please let this be right outside of my office. I'm tired of being on the Extended Network whilst inside. :lol:

God has granted you the ability to know where the site is located. It is shown on the NV Sites Complete map in the Sponsor section.

• Like 1

Now I am not so convinced the Flying J tower is online. Drove right by it and still only pulled about 2m down.

You Joplin folks should start a Cell ID tracking sheet like the Austin and New Orelans members did. Then you can always know where you're connected.

• Like 1

You Joplin folks should start a Cell ID tracking sheet like the Austin and New Orelans members did. Then you can always know where you're connected.

May have to do just that. Would that be the BSID for the Cell towrs ID number?

How do they get the tower ids short of looking at stuff in the sponsors section?

I used a SignalCheck app to check the signal strength, signal was faily weak.

NOTE: My phone is rooted so I had it set to LTE only hence 1x and EV-DO showing no signal, was trying to get just pure LTE.

how did you get it to be LTE only? i have been curious about trying to do that, but never really looked into it a whole lot.

how did you get it to be LTE only? i have been curious about trying to do that, but never really looked into it a whole lot.

For a rooted EVO LTE you need to open the dialing pad, enter ##3282#

Tap on Edit Mode

Enter your phones MSL number

Tap on EVDO

Tap Preferred Mode

Select LTE only

• Like 1

For a rooted EVO LTE you need to open the dialing pad, enter ##3238#

Tap on Edit Mode

Enter your phones MSL number

Tap on EVDO

Tap Preferred Mode

Select LTE only

awesome! thanks!

edit: i cannot seem to get it to work. it just returns to the dialing pad after i press the last # sign. i will keep trying things, but im not sure whats going on. do i need to grant it root access in supersu itself? it never asks for root access.

edit: ok, got it working. its ##3282#

I'll preface this by saying that since I'm in St. Louis and I don't travel much, my phone has never connected to LTE (It is technically a replacement and I got to play with LTE in dallas for about 15 seconds on my old one). That said, what does this stuff mean? I found it in my LTE record >LTE Available file4g%20available%20list.png

Is this some sort of ehrpd thing, or should actually I be excited?