Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

3 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Small cell on the roof? We've seen a number of those pop up in other markets.

I thought about that too. I think it might be set back from the side of the building so I couldn't spot it from where I was standing. The building is only 2 stories tall so it's about the same height as all the utility poles int area anyway.

The Sprint store is where the restaurant/retail sign is on the first floor and in front of it is where signal is the strongest. Here is the location in Google Maps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm seeing 64QAM uploads on Band 25 in Boston. Upload speeds in my house on Band 25 are usually 3-4Mbps but a speed test just now went up to 9Mbps. I checked the debug menu and sure enough it shows 64QAM upload modulation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paynefanbro said:

I'm seeing 64QAM uploads on Band 25 in Boston. Upload speeds in my house on Band 25 are usually 3-4Mbps but a speed test just now went up to 9Mbps. I checked the debug menu and sure enough it shows 64QAM upload modulation. 

Awesome to hear. Is 256QAM live yet for downloads?

2 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Awesome to hear. Is 256QAM live yet for downloads?

I believe the Sammy engineering screen cannot display 256QAM properly. Ive been super clean signal and really fast speeds that would dictate perfect conditions for 256QAM and speeds even reflect that, but it still displays nothing ( "NONE" in the field) engineering screen.

3 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

I believe the Sammy engineering screen cannot display 256QAM properly. Ive been super clean signal and really fast speeds that would dictate perfect conditions for 256QAM and speeds even reflect that, but it still displays nothing ( "NONE" in the field) engineering screen.

Ah. What vendor region was this?

21 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

No 256QAM downloads yet. It's still at 64QAM but I hope Sprint moves toward 256QAM so they can squeeze more out of their network.

Are you sure about that? NSG really is only way to confirm. 256QAM has been live here in NYC for a while..

3 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Are you sure about that? NSG really is only way to confirm. 256QAM has been live here in NYC for a while..

Although Samsung phones have trouble with 256QAM (usually flipping between different values making it hard to determine), it stayed steady showing 64QAM during a data session. On top of that download speeds aren't out of the ordinary from what I normally receive. Maybe I need to go to an area with an even stronger signal and see if things change.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the Boston area this past weekend.  I was VERY impressed with Sprint's coverage and performance in that area.  Everywhere I went, the signal was very constant and the speed were always very fast.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Dkoellerwx said:

192Mbps download? Must not be a relay site. 2 carriers?

My thoughts exactly, really nice! We have a few 2xCA small cells sprinkled around NYC, but its more of an exception than the rule for the most part. Generally speaking, even the single carrier ones perform great as long as they are properly fed with decent backhaul.

• 4 weeks later...

In recent testing by RootMetrics®, Sprint is #1 with the fastest download speeds in Boston.1 Indoor and outdoor testing was conducted during peak-usage hours during the day in the busiest areas of Boston. Samples were collected in iconic tourist areas, top travel destinations, business districts, retail shops, major entertainment areas, and other high-traffic areas. The end result is testing that shows how carriers perform in the busiest parts of Boston, and the results also evaluate how well networks are prepared for upcoming 5G and IoT deployments. 

Additionally, analysis of Nielsen drive test data shows Sprint has the most improved network in Boston with a 292% increase in download speeds year-over-year.2

• Like 5

People never believed me when I mentioned Sprint's improving density and faster speeds. I still hope that they work on suburban density because there are areas where my phone switches between 1 bar of EVDO and 1 bar of LTE in Newton. They have been deploying small cells in Newton though since I did find one a few months ago but more would help.

• Like 3