Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Hiawathay Bray dropped this casually in a device review in yesterday's Boston Globe:

"The Photon Q is compatible with Sprint’s upgraded 4G data service, which uses snappy LTE technology for much faster data downloads than the company’s old-school 4G system. The LTE option is still unavailable in many cities, but Boston is plugged in. The Photon Q I tested was downloading data at over 10 million bits per second, and uploading at almost 4 megabits. Hot stuff."

I work on Beacon Hill and haven't had any 4G connections yet.

I also got LTE in southern tewksbury, i can no longer get it now

Yeah,

I parked my ass under this tower Friday

BS03XC220

42.60200948557377, -71.21509394219903,

74 Griffin Way, Tewksbury, MA 01876, USA zoom.png

Sprint Market: Boston

NV Complete: 3G/4G

OEM: ALU

RF Switch: BOS-WOBURN-MSC_2

....No Joy.

After receiving strong LTE signals in South Tewksbury several times over a period of a few weeks, I haven't been able to receive any at all for at least 10 days. Perhaps the testing period for this area is over, and the LTE signal is now (unfortunately) blocked until Sprint officially launches the Boston market.

To put a positive spin on it, you can look at this as a sign of progress in the right direction, right!

• Like 2

just wanted to chime in and say that for some reason, south station area speed dropped, since about two weeks ago.

It averaged between 0.8 - 1.5 but for last two weeks, the best Ive seen was 1.3, with average being around 0.5.

I wonder if this is due to them working on the towers.

Im going to guess that this is the tower I am connecting to @ south station:

BS23XC744

42.35420522622506, -71.05929612952458,

4-20 Chauncy St, Boston, MA 02111, USA zoom.png

RF Switch: BOS-WOBURN-MSC_1

Any info on this???

just wanted to chime in and say that for some reason, south station area speed dropped, since about two weeks ago.

It averaged between 0.8 - 1.5 but for last two weeks, the best Ive seen was 1.3, with average being around 0.5.

BS23XC744

Any info on this???

As of Robert's last update from last night, this site is now marked 3G/4G complete.

BS23XC744

Any info on this???

As of Robert's last update from last night, this site is now marked 3G/4G complete.

This kind of detail really belongs in the Sponsor forums.

• Like 1

I've been seeing some work done at the tower located above whole foods on cambridge street. They had a crane out this weekend. Seemed like a lot of work was going on.

They haven't touched the antennas yet, still watching for that. Looks like they'll have that done soon though.

Did the signal last for a long distance?

4g in Allston/Brighton. I'm guessing the tower i found is by 95 Everett street location. I forgot to take a screen shot/forgot how to on jelly bean builds. Did 2 speed tests, 24 and 12 download and 6 and 6 upload.

no unfortunately' date=' it went as far as the mass pike Allston Brighton exit. But the strength was full bars, i didn't check the dBm but i bet it was a good signal strength.[/quote']

Unfortunately, the full bars you saw was the 1x signal, not LTE. Your phone never displays LTE strength in the signal indicator, even when the 4G icon is shown.

So if you are near a tower and connected to 1x and it shows full strength, but you are far from the 4G LTE site you are connected to, you may think you have a strong LTE connection, but you really don't.

The only way to know for certain your LTE signal strength is to look at the dBm reading in your LTE Engineering screen in the Debug menu of your phone dialer.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

From Beacon Hill: After reading these posts I powered off and on, and when the device came back on it was 4G, but it only lasted for a couple of minutes and now I am back to 3G. I am inside a building, will test this afternoon at other, outdoor locations.

Unfortunately, the full bars you saw was the 1x signal, not LTE. Your phone never displays LTE strength in the signal indicator, even when the 4G icon is shown.

So if you are near a tower and connected to 1x and it shows full strength, but you are far from the 4G LTE site you are connected to, you may think you have a strong LTE connection, but you really don't.

The only way to know for certain your LTE signal strength is to look at the dBm reading in your LTE Engineering screen in the Debug menu of your phone dialer.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

That exit is only a half mile , even less, away from the tower i was connected to. Its a 20 minute walk to the exit, and a 30 second drive. Trust me i live right near that tower, not going to say how close, but lets say i can see the tower in my back yard.

And regardless the strength i had, it was still very fast.

How do i get to the Debug lte menu? Whats numbers do i need to type?

I have jelly bean CM10 build for my htc evo 4g lte