Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

At MGH today and useable data 95ms ping 1.2 Mbps up .65 down

You can usually do better than that - it's always fast there (fruit street location, I am assuming).

What's strange is, EVDO Rev A actually shows higher peak speeds.

Same tower, same time, same location, EVDO Rev A can always hit between 2200-2600. When I switched to eHRPD, speeds topped out in the 1800's.

Very strange indeed. Watching the the speed test, it looks controlled. EVDO RevA will be a flat line of steady streaming data. eHRPD spikes around. There definitely seems to be some sort of traffic controlling going on. Obviously 1800 vs. 2500 isn't a HUGE difference, but still worth noting that eHRPD seems to have traffic management going on.

You can usually do better than that - it's always fast there (fruit street location' date=' I am assuming).

What's strange is, EVDO Rev A actually shows higher peak speeds.

Same tower, same time, same location, EVDO Rev A can always hit between 2200-2600. When I switched to eHRPD, speeds topped out in the 1800's.

Very strange indeed. Watching the the speed test, it looks controlled. EVDO RevA will be a flat line of steady streaming data. eHRPD spikes around. There definitely seems to be some sort of traffic controlling going on. Obviously 1800 vs. 2500 isn't a HUGE difference, but still worth noting that eHRPD seems to have traffic management going on.[/quote']

Is it possible that you are getting eHRPD from a different site than the EVDO at that location? Just thinking of possibilities.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Is it possible that you are getting eHRPD from a different site than the EVDO at that location? Just thinking of possibilities.

I'll have a full comparative analysis tonight if you are curious.

• Like 1

I'll have a full comparative analysis tonight if you are curious.

Great. FYI, CDMA Field Test will produce a handy log with each record listing connection type, signal strength, BSIDs, etc. You have to actually export the log to see all that detail chronologically.

This is strange... eHRPD is, without a doubt, slower. It seems like it is capped around 1850 or so. Oddly enough, the uploads are faster.

When the speedtest first starts, it shoots past 2000, then bounces around, then sort of settles, stuttering at 1850 or so.

Pings are better though...

I need to finish testing and make sure that it is in fact the same site, which is likely, because the site is right outside my window and my signal strength is exactly the same.

eHRPD vs. EVDO REV A - Same exact site

7701927414_46f9e8beea.jpg

7701927738_54075395a8.jpg

7701928974_9d7f596eb1.jpg

7701925402_abaefce667.jpg

7701925848_30ea21e71a.jpg

7701926564_8faf2435ca.jpg

The other thing that is absolutely amazing is that eHRPD (as Robert has already said) is a totally different network. I was running some traceroutes and it's completely different.

eHRPD:

sl-gw20-hrs-10-0-0.sprintlink.net

109.598, 88.051, 87.868

sl-crs1-hrs-0-0-2-0.sprintlink.net

87.807, 91.134, 90.371

sl-crs1-nyc-0-6-0-0.sprintlink.net

90.187, 87.197, 87.075

69.312, 74.226, 74.104

73.493, 69.006, 66.809

71.174, 74.713, 68.151

lga15s29-in-f4.1e100.net

75.935, 80.268, 73.310

EVDO RevA:

sl-crs1-nyc-0-8-0-1.sprintlink.net

131.696, 126.263, 126.141

sl-crs1-nyc-0-8-0-1.sprintlink.net

sl-crs1-nyc-0-0-0-1.sprintlink.net

129.406, 154.463

132.214, 125.073

117.991, 94.613, 122.997

lga15s29-in-f8.1e100.net

103.616, 98.550, 106.852

• Like 1

This is strange... eHRPD is' date=' without a doubt, slower. It seems like it is capped around 1850 or so. Oddly enough, the uploads are faster.

When the speedtest first starts, it shoots past 2000, then bounces around, then sort of settles, stuttering at 1850 or so.

Pings are better though...

I need to finish testing and make sure that it is in fact the same site, which is likely, because the site is right outside my window and my signal strength is exactly the same.[/quote']

Have you noticed this phenomenon at several eHRPD sites? Its possible they are limiting core traffic as they are getting things online. With switches, each site was only connected to its dedicated switch. But with eHRPD and LTE, the network is dynamic. Each site can be routed to several different cores based on traffic. Its possible since only a handful of cores are complete and ready now, maybe they are limiting traffic? I don't know. Interesting.

Have you noticed this phenomenon at several eHRPD sites? Its possible they are limiting core traffic as they are getting things online. With switches, each site was only connected to its dedicated switch. But with eHRPD and LTE, the network is dynamic. Each site can be routed to several different cores based on traffic. Its possible since only a handful of cores are complete and ready now, maybe they are limiting traffic? I don't know. Interesting.

I've never had any other sprint site just spit out such consistent speedtests (and I've looked). I don't think I could find another location where I can actually max out legacy hardware on a consistent basis. I really wonder how many EVDO carriers Sprint installed at this location because this is downtown boston - there is definitely traffic - but it NEVER slows down.

• Like 1

I've never had any other sprint site just spit out such consistent speedtests (and I've looked). I don't think I could find another location where I can actually max out legacy hardware on a consistent basis. I really wonder how many EVDO carriers Sprint installed at this location because this is downtown boston - there is definitely traffic - but it NEVER slows down.

Another thought...have you tried several speed test servers on eHRPD? The 4G core's connection to the backbone will be completely different than the switch. So the ideal server for each is likely to be different. Because they will have completely different routes to the internet.

Another thought...have you tried several speed test servers on eHRPD? The 4G core's connection to the backbone will be completely different than the switch. So the ideal server for each is likely to be different. Because they will have completely different routes to the internet.

Definitely agree on the routing. The new switches have far superior routing... but the speeds stay the same. No matter what (good) speedtest server I use, the behavior is exactly the same.

Everything on eHRPD does the same thing - starts off bouncing over 2mbit, then just sort of jumps around and lands in the 1800 range or so. It wants to go faster, but it can't, heh.

I am thinking about taking a video so you can see, it's almost comical.

Maybe I'll hunt for some other solid sites around Boston. I am sure I can find one - I'll see if this is typical or not.

The other thing that is weird is my phone loses eHRPD all the time and falls back to EVDO REVA. I have to toggle to CDMA and CDMA/LTE to get it back. Not sure why.

Getting 1200 down, eHRPD @ -98 dbm in Arlington MA. Signal isn't improved, but speed sure as hell is.

Another thing I just noticed is I'm pulling 3000 down on my airave. It used to be capped at 1500...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Just ran a speed test @ south station. Avg. 1.5 down .9 up. (eHRPD)

Last time I ran it which was towards beginning of this week, it was connected Evdo Rev A.

Actual speed did not change from when it was connecting Evdo. But glad to see another eHRPD site up and running.

Slightly off topic, but on topic. I'm glad people here are reporting these kind of speeds and user experiences. It makes this whole Sprint Network Project so worthwhile that there is real ROI.

Slightly off topic, but on topic. I'm glad people here are reporting these kind of speeds and user experiences. It makes this whole Sprint Network Project so worthwhile that there is real ROI.

So is our Roy (muffin man) not real?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

So is our Roy (muffin man) not real?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I don't get the joke.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

The speeds in Boston have been really bad lately. Just dying for 4g to light up on my phone. it does suck that right now i can barely use the internet if im in or around Boston. Def looking at it as a good sign that LTE work is getting done.

When I was last in Boston proper about 2-3 months ago 3G and WiMAX was blazing fast. I was pulling about 7-12Mbit/s down on WiMAX and 0.60-1.5Mbit/s on 3G which is more than adequate.

When I was last in Boston proper about 2-3 months ago 3G and WiMAX was blazing fast. I was pulling about 7-12Mbit/s down on WiMAX and 0.60-1.5Mbit/s on 3G which is more than adequate.

Speeds in Boston are extremely variable. One site can be blazing fast, the next one over, extremely slow.

It's very strange.

WiMAX speeds are pretty good in Boston, but the coverage is swiss cheese.

Getting 2mb down and 1mb up in southern tewksbury, I'm guessing my tower was upgraded, but S4GRU told me my area was TBD :). Hoping to see the 4G sign at the end of the month!

By the way, whats the name of the app that gives you information on thw tower your connected to?

Speeds in Boston are extremely variable. One site can be blazing fast, the next one over, extremely slow.

It's very strange.

WiMAX speeds are pretty good in Boston, but the coverage is swiss cheese.

Got .01 4g WiMax at Fenway, i'm guessing that could've been because so many people in one place.

Getting 2mb down and 1mb up in southern tewksbury' date=' I'm guessing my tower was upgraded, but S4GRU told me my area was TBD :). Hoping to see the 4G sign at the end of the month!

By the way, whats the name of the app that gives you information on thw tower your connected to?

Correction...schedule info comes directly from Sprint. Sprint schedule database said TBD. TBD just means that the person doing the data entry didn't have info about the site at the time they were entering in the data.

We shouldn't read anything into a date marked TBD. It doesn't necessarily mean it's far out.

Correction...schedule info comes directly from Sprint. Sprint schedule database said TBD. TBD just means that the person doing the data entry didn't have info about the site at the time they were entering in the data.

We shouldn't read anything into a date marked TBD. It doesn't necessarily mean it's far out.

Thanks :)..... And do you know of the app name that tells you the tower # your connected to?

Thanks :)..... And do you know of the app name that tells you the tower # your connected to?

There is no app that will provide you the actual Sprint Site ID numbers. But there are apps that will give you a BSID number for the sector you are on at a specific site. Apps like CDMA Field Test. However, it only works for the 1x carrier, not the EVDO carrier.

You can also get the same information from your Debug Menu, by entering ##DEBUG# in your phone dialer.

I got live 4G LTE tonight in Tewksbury around 7pm!! I was on Route 38 and likely hitting the tower at the Wynn School on Griffin Way, which I know has been worked on. Signal was strong and LTE held steady until I left the area. Speeds were very good.. screenshots attached. Even if its only temporary (?), still a great sign!

-Mike

ad4cabd0-7170-d3f4.jpgad4cabd0-717d-152c.jpg

• Like 6

Everything on eHRPD does the same thing - starts off bouncing over 2mbit, then just sort of jumps around and lands in the 1800 range or so. It wants to go faster, but it can't, heh.

Now that they have some headroom they're almost certainly bursting before throttling to sustained speeds. This accelerates many common use cases (email updates, html downloads, Google results) without choking capacity with large sustained downloads. Its super smart, giving a much better general user experience the majority of the time. Cable internet providers have been doing it for years.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2