Network Vision/LTE - Utah Market (Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo/St. George/Cedar City)

Rafaelcab

Getting tired waiting for our rollout! I thought Sprint says they expect to be finished by the end of this year!

Network Vision is running between 3-6 months behind in most markets. They have revised their estimate to Mid 2014 completion. However, Utah is not behind schedule. They were always planning to start this market in Spring 2013. And they have indeed started. Probably still a few weeks out until the first site is accepted from the OEM as complete.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Getting tired waiting for our rollout! I thought Sprint says they expect to be finished by the end of this year!

Network Vision is running between 3-6 months behind in most markets. They have revised their estimate to Mid 2014 completion. However, Utah is not behind schedule. They were always planning to start this market in Spring 2013. And they have indeed started. Probably still a few weeks out until the first site is accepted from the OEM as complete.

Robert, that is indeed good news! Thank you for the update. I'm curious, though, why Utah does not appear in your deployment running list (http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-Network-Vision/LTE-Deployment-Running-List)?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

I believe its because we dont have any completed sites yet. We currently only have in progress sites.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I believe its because we dont have any completed sites yet. We currently only have in progress sites.

All of the sites on that deployment list were added to the list before work actually started.

I dont believe there is any sites listed as deployed in utah on any map on this forum? There are some marked as in progress as deemed appropriate by site admins.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

All of the sites on that deployment list were added to the list before work actually started.

I can add Utah now, but it would be at 0% until a site was accepted. There were many times I added a market to the list when I thought acceptance was imminent. But this is not something I have done consistently Utah fits the bill now for certain. I will probably add it to the list in the next update.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...

Im a line tech for Comcast in SLC and Sprint is using our fiber backbone to get 4g up and rolling. About 2-3 weeks ago contractors were up on redwood road/north temple area running fiber and doing some work. There's apparently some piece of sprint lte equipment in that area they were running fiber too or something specific for 4g lte. They were apparently behind schedule and should have had the work done sooner, because of permit issues the start and completion dates were bumped back a little bit. I'm not privy to anything specific to Sprint(where specific equipment is located in the valley) but I know from a very good source that the work that was being done a few weeks ago around redwood rd./north temple means 4g is literally right around the corner. You can take this with a grain of salt but I heard one of the guys at work(who's usually in the loop) that he's expecting everything ready to go by July. If I hear of anything new ill give an update.

• Like 1

Yeah I've seen a couple permits for that area. There are two towers in that vicinity. If your a sponsor you can see exactly where they are at. Looks like syringa is putting fiber to one if those towers though based in the work permits I've found. I believe another member spotted some work being done on the tower as well. Keep your eyes peeled and ears to the ground.

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

"First two Utah market sites accepted today!!!! :cool:

They both are 3G accepted only, but given their location it is not surprising. Site # SL03UB407 is in the little Central Utah community called Meadow, along I-15. Site # SL03UB409 is located in a pretty remote area, 3 miles south of the I-15/I-70 junction. They will appear on the NV Sites Complete map in an hour or so.

Robert"

Robert posted this in the Utah/Colorado thread!! Great news though disappointing its so far south its good to see they are working all over the state. I'm sure we will see it happening here in the SLC valley soon enough! According to the americomm crew I spoke with they are wrapping now with Tmo and att and are ramping up with sprint. He also mentioned he knew of two other contractors working on NV here as well.

• Like 3

Its good to finally see that network vision is rolling out in the step child market called utah. the utah market is slated to see lte in the next 90 days but the completion will take another year

Edited by bman6913

I wouldn't call us a step child. We had wimax on the release day of the evo. Do I think we should have been this late on the rollout, no but I'm biased I live here. I just look at as its the way the cards are dealt sometimes. I've seen three towers this week with the new panels up and two of them appear to have backhual to them so I think we will see purple on the sensorly map sooner than 90 days. But then again I'm an optimist.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call us a step child. We had wimax on the release day of the evo. Do I think we should have been this late on the rollout, no but I'm biased I live here. I just look at as its the way the cards are dealt sometimes. I've seen three towers this week with the new panels up and two of them appear to have backhual to them so I think we will see purple on the sensorly map sooner than 90 days. But then again I'm an optimist.

I'm an eternal optimist myself. My optimism believes the first Utah LTE site will be accepted in the next 7-10 days. :fingers:

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I am planning on stopping by SL03XC450 in the morning and check on progress they had two up on Monday so I believe they should have the third up and maybe testing it? It appeared backhual was installed but I want to double check it, not that it connects to anything on the other end though? Im hoping the crew might be kind and drop a hint on where there next stop will be!

• Like 1

correct me if I'm wrong.  But the Salt Lake area had a good amount of fiber before the NV was announced.  Companies like UTopia and Xmission have had fiber coursing through SL for years now.  Does that mean the the backhaul should be in place already? Or is Sprint relying on different types of fiber to run NV?  Are these companies not built to supply network accessibility to the masses on wireless devices? With Century Link and Comcast offering 40-100 mbps in most areas in SL, I kind of thought that we had the network capabilities in place already. 

I'm with Robert though, 7-10 days sounds like a nice time frame.  I do kind of wonder what the plan of attack is, as it appears that the sites are being accepted from south to north.  It might just be coincidental but perhaps SL will come after Provo, which would have me pouting like a baby. 

I'm not sure to be honest? All the fiber work permits I have seen are for short runs to the towers, mostly 500 feet or less. There have been a few I've seen for 1500 feet as well. So I would say we have a good fiber footprint. I am not sure the specs required for nv but I think 100 Mbps is the minimum requirement. Its on Here some where if you search. I've also seen mostly SYRINGA in SLC county as the fiber provider with a few Comcast permits as well. I haven't seen any century link ones yet. Some from the telecom might be able to speak to it better?

7 days will be nice! I'll be in Chicago next week so hopefully I'll come back to some purple on the map! The plan that's a mystery nobody can pin down as the logistics are mind blowing! I know there is at least three seperate contractors working on the valley from SLC to Spanish Fork. They told me they are wrapping up att and Tmo so the sprint project will start to really get under way shortly! I personally think SLC will see the first LTE site but that's just my opinion.

I did notice on SLC's website that a ton of the fiber work is going on downtown.  Particularly by the Salt Palace, which has fiber work starting last week and is slated to be finished mid July.  That tower and the one I checked out the other day are going to be feeding me my LTE at home, so it's great to see work coming along.  The tower I looked at the other day had all sorts of zoning issues, but it's hard to tell if they were resolved or not by looking at the website.  Here's to hoping for purple in the next week or so!

There is quite a few rooftop sites downtown and with that comes the issue of needing a crane to get cabinets to the top. Which leads to needing to close off roads and such which means more permitting hoops to jump through! I'm curious if they have to run fiber up through the building what kind if logistical nightmare that adds to a site? Or do they use microwave in these cases? Either way the project manager has his hands full I'm sure.

I'd bet on the site of center and 400 west next week having lte its the closest to being complete I've seen yet. And I've visited a lot if sites recently.

I noticed on the SLC site that most of the fiber work was running through existing conduits, with only a couple hundred feet of new conduit to be added.  The site that you moved on the map had issues with tower height, it is 80 ft tall but zoning only allows for 60 ft.  Which is weird because it has been there forever. Also, the city had issues with the size of antenna being mounted.  I hope it's all figured out and probably is because the permit was issued.  Any how, I'm sure that I'll get a signal from the Center Street.  Is it Center and 400 north though? Center runs 4 blocks diagonally from 625 N 300 W to about 225 N Main St.  

Yup, I'm definitely jumping in this conversation. :-)

I had no idea NV and LTE was this close in Utah! I thought we were still far off.

I love being pleasantly surprised.

I'm down in Utah valley and would be more than happy to go take some pictures of any sites down this way.

Yup, I'm definitely jumping in this conversation. :-)

I had no idea NV and LTE was this close in Utah! I thought we were still far off.

I love being pleasantly surprised.

I'm down in Utah valley and would be more than happy to go take some pictures of any sites down this way.

The best way to join the brigade is to become a S4GRU Sponsor. That way you can see maps that show all the Sprint sites in your area. Knowing definitively which sites are Sprint's is the best foundation you can have to begin watching and assisting.

For more information about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

I don't know much about the technology, but I've seen the term eHRPD thrown around and don't know to much about it. I've noticed that my phone is picking up the eHRPD network and when I run speed tests I'm now getting pretty consistent around 1.5-2 megs down/.6-.7 kbps up. From what I've been reading is this because of the eHRPD...and does this typically mean lte is near?