Sprint Direct Connect Now to be Android app

This is a nice step forward for Direct Connect.

I do hope that they will bring dedicated SDC devices like the Duramax to Boost for prepaid use, though. Maybe after the iDEN shutdown?

I'm wondering about direct talk, group talk ..etc. Will it include those?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I can't imagine they'd try to deploy a PTT solution without Group Connect.

As for Direct Talk, probably not. That's a Motorola feature which is specific to a small subset of iDEN devices. It's a really nice feature that I use frequently on my i355 handsets, but I doubt it will make an appearance until (if ever?) Motorola starts making devices for Sprint Direct Connect.

I'm kinda excited about this. I was a "true Nextel" subscriber for 4 years. PTT is a great in between for communications, when used properly.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

As for Direct Talk, probably not. That's a Motorola feature which is specific to a small subset of iDEN devices. It's a really nice feature that I use frequently on my i355 handsets, but I doubt it will make an appearance until (if ever?) Motorola starts making devices for Sprint Direct Connect.

Not gonna happen. Direct Talk off network service operates in the unlicensed ISM 900 MHz band (a la some older cordless phones, baby monitors, etc.). This would have been relatively easy to implement in iDEN 800/900 dual band handsets, since those handsets already required the RF front end to support SMR 900 MHz (which is adjacent to ISM 900 MHz).

Current and upcoming Sprint handsets, however, support SMR 800 MHz but not SMR 900 MHz, as the latter band is not suitable for CDMA1X nor LTE. Thus, ISM 900 support is highly unlikely, and Direct Talk is likely to die alongside iDEN.

AJ

As an aside, Direct Talk has become practically "Cruise Wireless." Almost all references to Direct Talk revolve around its use onboard cruise ships.

AJ

Not gonna happen. Direct Talk off network service operates in the unlicensed ISM 900 MHz band (a la some older cordless phones, baby monitors, etc.). This would have been relatively easy to implement in iDEN 800/900 dual band handsets, since those handsets already required the RF front end to support SMR 900 MHz (which is adjacent to ISM 900 MHz).

Current and upcoming Sprint handsets, however, support SMR 800 MHz but not SMR 900 MHz, as the latter band is not suitable for CDMA1X nor LTE. Thus, ISM 900 support is highly unlikely, and Direct Talk is likely to die alongside iDEN.

AJ

That's a great point.

Considering non-technical reasons, once Sprint gets the SDC service working on 1x and roaming, the need for Direct Talk will also diminish. DT itself was a clever, yet somewhat clumsily implemented solution for the large number of holes in iDEN coverage.

The 'clumsily implemented' statement refers to the fact that users must manually activate and deactivate DT, which is likely related to what AJ stated about the possible use of RF components for both iDEN and ISM modes.

In fact, when looking at the FCC docs for the i355 and i335 (and likely other DT capable handsets), Motorola clearly states that only one mode can be operational at a time. It's not a huge deal, but, forget to turn off DT and you won't be receiving any communications, nor will you know when network service is available again because only one mode can be active at a time. It's also tough to coordinate group activation of DT.

As an aside, Direct Talk has become practically "Cruise Wireless." Almost all references to Direct Talk revolve around its use onboard cruise ships.

AJ

Interesting - that's the first I've heard of DT being used in such a way.

Now I wonder how long it will be before we see this become an iPhone app as well?

It doesn't take a great leap of the imagination to see that happening. I would imagine Sprint even going as far as allowing other carrier's phones to install the app provided they pay the monthly fee. It could be a good revenue generator if it takes off in that way.

It doesn't take a great leap of the imagination to see that happening. I would imagine Sprint even going as far as allowing other carrier's phones to install the app provided they pay the monthly fee. It could be a good revenue generator if it takes off in that way.

It would be a good revenue generator now that as far as I can tell, at&t and vzw don't have ptt services anymore. Vzw may, but I don't see it offered at at&t anymore.

It would be a good revenue generator now that as far as I can tell, at&t and vzw don't have ptt services anymore. Vzw may, but I don't see it offered at at&t anymore.

I know AT&T still offers the service but they don't seem to advertise it openly. You have to have a business account to even get it. But yes it is there. I believe it is the same with VZW.

I know AT&T still offers the service but they don't seem to advertise it openly. You have to have a business account to even get it. But yes it is there. I believe it is the same with VZW.

Then Sprint could make a killing in the PTT market with this app.

Then Sprint could make a killing in the PTT market with this app.

I think many of the old Nextel users that left after the merger might give this one a try, specially if they know that they can talk with old iDEN phones (for as long as they are around) and ever international iDEN phones.

• 1 month later...