HTC Pre-Order Thread

unccjester

We don't need no Catastrophes with Sprint right now. And they sure made a good move to release the device one month sooner than originally planned. The original EVO purchasers were eligible for upgrades last month or sooner.

Very good point. They really want to keep voluntary churn down as low as possible.

Right now, they really need to keep churn down as low as possible. They had some issues with involuntary churn (people who can't pay their bills) as a result of lowering their credit standards (with radio shack) in the middle of last year.

I don't think the new EVO will be the halo device the original EVO was (completely different competitive landscape nowadays) but it still should be a fantastic handset for Sprint.

EVO, GS3, new Apollo Windows Phone, next new iPhone... one thing sprint does not lack nowadays is an extremely competitive handset line-up.

Giving the phones away? 1st we really don't know what it costs to produce one of these phones. 2nd have you looked at your phone bill lately?

With all the back door bill backs and network funding that may be going on I would think Sprint is leveraged to the max and someone is investment spending in a big way.

I wonder how many Sprint 4G LTE sites will be on line May 18th. And how long 4g lte phone owners will give Sprint to light up.

And on a different note why is Sprint allowing leaks to this Web Site or any other. It seems like gorilla marketing. Effective way of creating a buzz I guess.

I certainly don't want to come across disrespectful to the moderators their hard work or their incredible networking knowledge. Cause I think their intentions are great. But I don't trust the Sprint machine. You don't get paid 11 million in bonuses minus the iphone rebate unless you are one "creative" manager. I'm hoping Sprint can pull this off but they must be walking a very fine line.

Yes...relative to what other top end flagship devices of this caliber have sold for from competitors (Verizon especially), it seems like the price point on these is designed to move. Giving them away is just hyperbole, don't over read into it.

Especially when you take into consideration the discounts that are coming out from 3rd party sellers at Pre-Order, well, it's quite stunning, actually. I don't know what Sprint pays for the device. But what I do know is it seems Sprint is using the EVO as a hail mary to keep OG EVO customers. And they need them to stay to make their cash flow projections. So, it all makes sense. I just am surprised the discounts are starting out the gate. Heck, even before the gate opens.

As for the number of LTE sites and when they are coming online, that pretty much is a known commodity around here. We talk about it all the time. However, Sprint is not selling their LTE network to any one really. They don't push LTE marketing much at all. They are mostly just marketing the devices at this time. Sprint is just trying to master under promise, over deliver.

If customers are assuming they are going to have ubiquitous LTE coverage as soon as they get their device, then that is counter to what Sprint has said publicly over and over again. And given the blunders of WiMax deployment, I think that most customers are cautious and pessimistic about LTE deployment, and not given to grand visions of wall to wall LTE coverage when they activate their new EVO's. Or even soon. Unless, perhaps, if they live in a market with active NV deployment. And then they won't be disappointed for long.

If Sprint is leaking info to us covertly, which I doubt, but if they are, it is rather genius. To give information through a third party to help coimmunicate to customers what is going on and help build excitement, but still giving themselves breathing room in case there are delays...well, it's a very smart idea. However, I'm not sure I would ever give Sprint quite that much credit to pull it off.

Robert

• Like 1

If HTC was able to do the update on the devices before shipping them out, then it's possible that LTE sites that are "On-Air" may stop being blocked on the 18th. Otherwise, I think the LTE block will likely remain until the EVO LTE OTA comes out. It will be interesting to see this all unfold.

Robert

That makes sense. In another post you mentioned may 18th as a day for some 4G cores to come online...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/844-athens-ga-lte/page__view__findpost__p__14995

The 18th seems too much not to be a coincidence. Is the 18th "launch LTE" day?

Who knows, you might see me selling mine if it turns out that I like the Samsung G3 better. :D

You mean, if you find out you really want a removable battery :)

That's going to be the biggest difference between the two handsets :blink:

You mean, if you find out you really want a removable battery :)

That's going to be the biggest difference between the two handsets :blink:

That and Touch Wiz vs Sense. Oh and that sweet Pebble Blue color. :D

The removable battery is the only thing that's allowing me to keep using my original EVO since my USB port has been fracked for months.

That makes sense. In another post you mentioned may 18th as a day for some 4G cores to come online...

http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__14995

The 18th seems too much not to be a coincidence. Is the 18th "launch LTE" day?

It may be. However, that conclusion would just be anecdotal from context. But a good deduction. But I have not seen anything specifically identifying a date that LTE would stop being blocked by Sprint from discoverability by LTE devices.

However, in some markets, like Boston, it can't go live before the cores are online. And currently, Boston is scheduled for the core to come live on May 18th. Could be a coincidence. We should know soon enough.

Robert

I've had an upgrade available since Feb, and my contract expires in 2 weeks. I've been putting off getting a new phone until I've seen what is available and where Sprint is going with it.

I bought the original EVO 4G on release day - and I still use it. I still use it without 4G coverage at home. And I'm not bitching. It's done most of everything I've needed from a phone, or a tablet for that matter. I read ebooks on it at night and do the occasional customer "fix" on the phone when I'm too lazy to run to my main computer and handle it.

I live in somewhat of a backwater area. Sprint put WiMAX up all around me - but only in the business areas - not the residential. I've, honestly, not really missed having WiMAX at home. I, like a lot of folks out there, have my own wireless network which my EVO connects to. Actually, I get 50 megabits down on my home connection - so defo not missing 4G connectivity there since I'm using WiFi on my phone. So, my main concern is that I have a good data connection when not at home. Given the upgrade layout I feel that Sprint will definitely provide the connectivity I need when I'm not at home. From what I see, Sprint will be covering our main metro areas as well as the "en route" areas - interstates, etc.

Now I just need to decide which device I want to use. I'm heavily leaning towards the EVO LTE. I'm one of the few folks that take issue to the display on the GS3 - and, sitting and watching to see where the best deal can be had for EVO LTE. Likely, come tomorrow morning, I'll be going to Best Buy and ordering a new EVO LTE.

• Like 3

It may be. However, that conclusion would just be anecdotal from context. But a good deduction. But I have not seen anything specifically identifying a date that LTE would stop being blocked by Sprint from discoverability by LTE devices.

However, in some markets, like Boston, it can't go live before the cores are online. And currently, Boston is scheduled for the core to come live on May 18th. Could be a coincidence. We should know soon enough.

Robert

And don't forget the May 18th launch date of the Sierra Wireless Tri-Network Hotspot from the screenshot in this article:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-170-new-flagship-4g-lte-device-in-sprint-lenexa-labs-for-testing/

May 18th will be a busy day for Sprint. All just coincidence? Inquiring minds want to know!

The suspense is killing me. :secret:

• Like 1

My guess would be that Sprint is lightly subsidizing the $549.99 off-contract price (although they probably make a net profit after the $36 activation charge) but that the $699.99 off-contract price at Best Buy includes a hefty margin, in part to make their on-contract price look better. As for the 3rd party carriers undercutting the two-year price from Sprint, my understanding is that they get a cut of your monthly bill through the contract period in addition to an up-front "prebate" from Sprint for new activations; if BB or Wirefly is going to get several hundred bucks from you indirectly over 24 months, they'll gladly throw $50-100 at you to buy from them as opposed to going to Sprint directly.

My guess would be that Sprint is lightly subsidizing the $549.99 off-contract price (although they probably make a net profit after the $36 activation charge) but that the $699.99 off-contract price at Best Buy includes a hefty margin, in part to make their on-contract price look better. As for the 3rd party carriers undercutting the two-year price from Sprint, my understanding is that they get a cut of your monthly bill through the contract period in addition to an up-front "prebate" from Sprint for new activations; if BB or Wirefly is going to get several hundred bucks from you indirectly over 24 months, they'll gladly throw $50-100 at you to buy from them as opposed to going to Sprint directly.

So would Sprint be willing to price match so that the other company doesn't get that extra money?

So would Sprint be willing to price match so that the other company doesn't get that extra money?

Wouldn't the 3rd party retailer (i.e. BestBbuy) have to do the price matching, since Sprint is selling it for $150 cheaper?

That and Touch Wiz vs Sense. Oh and that sweet Pebble Blue color. :D

The removable battery is the only thing that's allowing me to keep using my original EVO since my USB port has been fracked for months.

Same thing happened with my brother's EVO. It has me considering Best Buy's Black Tie program.

I'm really tempted to go for the pre-order, but curiosity regarding the Sprint SGS3 and the unknown of when LTE will actually be available in Seattle (I know it's a second rounder) have me second guessing. Where I live and work I have a full strength WiMax signal and I'm not crazy about going back to 3G only for an unknown period of time.

Decisions, decisions...

Why would they? I tend to believe that Sprint is willing to allow these mass retailers the ability to sell these products at certain price points because Sprint knows that their buyers are locked in to payment agreement for 24 months. The retailers paid the up-front cost to advertise the deals - and thus the Sprint product. Sprint now has these subscribers,old or new, on their books and locked into these agreements. This gives Sprint a guaranteed incomes stream with a minimal outlay of cash. If the buyer changes their provider then the buyer has to pay off the portion of the contract that was yielded to the mass retailer - so there is no real loss to Sprint. This system works less so with iPhones, but for other phone providers it should work well.

Sprint is also betting on their ability to retain the majority of these contracts via improved service, etc. It'll be a waiting game to see if their bet pays off.

Wouldn't the 3rd party retailer (i.e. BestBbuy) have to do the price matching, since Sprint is selling it for $150 cheaper?

Why would they? I tend to believe that Sprint is willing to allow these mass retailers the ability to sell these products at certain price points because Sprint knows that their buyers are locked in to payment agreement for 24 months. The retailers paid the up-front cost to advertise the deals - and thus the Sprint product. Sprint now has these subscribers,old or new, on their books and locked into these agreements. This gives Sprint a guaranteed incomes stream with a minimal outlay of cash. If the buyer changes their provider then the buyer has to pay off the portion of the contract that was yielded to the mass retailer - so there is no real loss to Sprint. This system works less so with iPhones, but for other phone providers it should work well.

Sprint is also betting on their ability to retain the majority of these contracts via improved service, etc. It'll be a waiting game to see if their bet pays off.

How about when the 3rd party retailer is selling at an 80% discount over Sprint? Would Sprint then consider price matching? I want to take my new LTE device and test in LA on the 26th and maybe even have it for this Saturday if I go down there. :)

• Like 1

How about when the 3rd party retailer is selling at an 80% discount over Sprint? Would Sprint then consider price matching? I want to take my new LTE device and test in LA on the 26th and maybe even have it for this Saturday if I go down there. :)

My guess is they pay a certain price to Sprint, per unit, so Sprint could likely care less how much they actually sell it for. BB is hoping to make money on their "added services" and/or some kind of kick back program if people reside on the plan through it's entireity, etc.

On a side note, I'm still trying to force myself to pull the trigger and order the E4GLTE. I want it, but I keep getting side tracked seeing what else may be coming out...

From everything I've read, US carriers are heavily subsidizing these phones. We've gotten a little spoiled with the $199 price point. People in other countries are paying hundreds more than we do here. Of course they are not on 2 year contracts with locked phones either.

I have been wondering to myself if the new EVO will be the last top of the line phone for $199. I was easily expecting the EVO to go for $250(like the Epic 4G). It will be interesting to see how much Sprint charges for the Galaxy3,iPhone5 and the next variant of the Photon.

I have been wondering to myself if the new EVO will be the last top of the line phone for $199. I was easily expecting the EVO to go for $250(like the Epic 4G). It will be interesting to see how much Sprint charges for the Galaxy3,iPhone5 and the next variant of the Photon.

Apple determines the price for the iPhone by carrier according to all the contract info between Apple and the Carriers. But I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone does increase in price with the inclusion of LTE.

Sprint has no reason so price match since its basically a win win situation for them. Also keep in mind that even though places like wirefly sell their phones cheap, they also tack on etf's in addition to sprints own etf. So even though you get a better deal through retailers like wirefly, in the event you have to cancel your service it will probably cost you twice as much to do so.

• Like 1

Apple determines the price for the iPhone by carrier according to all the contract info between Apple and the Carriers. But I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone does increase in price with the inclusion of LTE.

Yes Apple does determine the price of the iphone when carriers buy inventory from them but I don't think apple determines how much the carriers can subsidize when selling it to customers. So, for example, if the iphone 5 is priced at $299 on a two year contract it wont be because of what apple wants, it will be because the carriers don't want to subsidize it as much.

Damn multiquote isn't working for me at the moment so sorry for all the back to back posts.

Anyway I can all but guarantee that the galaxy s3 and photon variant will go for $199 on a two year contract, my only uncertainty would be for the iphone 5 which can easily sell out at any price point. Also keep in mind that verizon was easily getting way with it because no one else had an lte network that was worth bragging about so they could have easily sell all their lte phones at $299. Since at&t is expanding their lte network and sprint is coming out swinging with their lte network, you not gonna see lte phones going for $299 anymore because carriers will be forced to now be competitive. Come to think of it, with an lte iphone I wouldn't be surprised if it does come out for $199 on contract and I also won't be surprised if carriers adjust their data prices so they can milk even more money out of their customers.

Damn multiquote isn't working for me at the moment so sorry for all the back to back posts.

Anyway I can all but guarantee that the galaxy s3 and photon variant will go for $199 on a two year contract, my only uncertainty would be for the iphone 5 which can easily sell out at any price point.

I disagree. Apple has been standing steadfast at the 199 pricepoint

Yes Apple does determine the price of the iphone when carriers buy inventory from them but I don't think apple determines how much the carriers can subsidize when selling it to customers. So, for example, if the iphone 5 is priced at $299 on a two year contract it wont be because of what apple wants, it will be because the carriers don't want to subsidize it as much.

I disagree. As far as I know the MSRP of 199, 299, 399 is contracted what the carriers will sell the iPhone at.

3rd party sellers, such as wal-mart seem to have leeway. Carriers, don't seem to.

I disagree. Apple has been standing steadfast at the 199 pricepoint

I disagree. As far as I know the MSRP of 199, 299, 399 is contracted what the carriers will sell the iPhone at.

3rd party sellers, such as wal-mart seem to have leeway. Carriers, don't seem to.

Keep in mind that the msrp is not the same as the 2 year contract price when you buy it. MSRP is when you pay full retail for the phone WITHOUT signing a two year contract. For example the evo 4g lte msrp is $549.99 but priced at $199 on a two year contract. Also keep in mind that there are many carriers in other countries(China Telecom for example) where you can get ipohnes 4s's free on contract right now. So again the prices you are giving are subsidized prices and does not reflect the actual MSRP. I don't see how apple can tell carriers how much to charge on contract. Apple already got their money from the carriers when the carriers bought iphone inventory from them. How can apple then turn around and say how much to sell them for on or off contract? That makes absolutely no sense at all, at this point apple shouldn't even care what the carriers sell it for just as long as they sell it. Whether its sprint verizon or at&t I am sure they all spend upwards of close to $600 per iphone and to move units and attract customers they sell it to them at a lower price point then make the money back over the next 2 years on the contract that they will sign, which is also the purpose of etf if they cancel early.

I just had my upgrade eligeblity reset this morning. After a botched attempt to do my pre-order online and having sprints website screw up my upgrade after canceling the first order. I decided to do my pre-order over the phone. My total for my upgrade done over the phone with sales came to $175. It was $25 cheaper to go thru tele sales than ordering it online. They gave me a delivery date of the 17th over the phone.

If you haven't preorder online do it by calling sprint, I saved $25, but it took me ten minutes on the phone well worth the time I think.

As far as I know the MSRP of 199, 299, 399 is contracted what the carriers will sell the iPhone at.

You are right. Apple set their contract up with at&t from the very beginning to determine their own price scheme for the iPhone. They then allowed carrier subsidies with the release of the 3G, but they still determined the price. With the smaller carriers that are selling the iPhone $50 cheaper than at&t/VZW/Sprint, Apple may have been more lenient with to let them sell it at a lower price point, maybe to keep competition healthy.

And even if there were no phone subsidies, the original iPhone sold like crazy at full price, so even a slightly higher priced iPhone with LTE under the hood would probably sell out in Pre-order stage too.