Network Vision/LTE - South Texas Market (Corpus Christi/Laredo/Rio Grande Valley)

bluemustangjosh

Preliminary work is ongoing now. I think it will be at least 45-60 days before the first site goes live in the RGV. It will start with one or two sites at first. Then an additional one will go live every few weeks. It will take several months before it all is covered.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Nice to know what's going on thanks for the update!

• Like 1

I've been watching this thread off and on for a while. I'm up for renewal on March 1st and really hope sprint has at least some LTE in the area by then or I might jump ship.

PS: Awesome site.

You're going to need a new phone to use up the LTE goodness.

Would we see the primary work on towers confined to a certain city or would teams begin working throughout the South Texas area simultaneously ie Corpus Christi or Laredo?

Corpus and Laredo have not been announced. McAllen, Mission, Edinburg, Harlingen, and Brownsville are the cities that have been announced for South Texas.

I'm aware Corpus and Laredo haven't specifically been announced but it was my understanding that the cities within the South Texas market would get upgraded as well. Robert mentioned this earlier in this thread. Was I mistaken?

Would we see the primary work on towers confined to a certain city or would teams begin working throughout the South Texas area simultaneously ie Corpus Christi or Laredo?

Yes, work will begin all over the market, though it will seem to be in isolated spots at first, and grow week by week.

Corpus and Laredo have not been announced. McAllen, Mission, Edinburg, Harlingen, and Brownsville are the cities that have been announced for South Texas.

Work will begin all over the market, not just the cities announced. Those cities were selected for the press release because they are likely easier to update, have fewer towers, and will have a launchable amount of coverage sooner. The same number of towers can completely cover a small city, whereas it would only cover a fraction of a large city. That's why we're seeing the smaller cities announced first.

Yes, work will begin all over the market, though it will seem to be in isolated spots at first, and grow week by week.

Work will begin all over the market, not just the cities announced. Those cities were selected for the press release because they are likely easier to update, have fewer towers, and will have a launchable amount of coverage sooner. The same number of towers can completely cover a small city, whereas it would only cover a fraction of a large city. That's why we're seeing the smaller cities announced first.

Is there anything we can reference to prove what you say is correct? An example of a similar market would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong I would love to believe what I am reading but without any announcement to confirm it I might as well be asking a "Magic 8 Ball".

Me: Is Sprint launching LTE in all of South Texas soon? *Shakes 8 ball*

8-Ball: Reply hazy, try again

Edited by cavendano

Is there anything we can reference to prove what you say is correct? An example of a similar market would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong I would love to believe what I am reading but without any announcement to confirm it I might as well be asking a "Magic 8 Ball".

Me: Is Sprint launching LTE in all of South Texas soon? *Shakes 8 ball*

8-Ball: Reply hazy, try again

Sure, look at the Boston market. Or the Chicago market. Or the Indianapolis market. Or the San Francisco market.

In everyone one of those markets, work is ongoing across the whole market, but the smaller communities, suburbs, and the like have been announced before the major cities.

For the case of Boston, the city of Boston hasn't been announced yet, but there is pretty good LTE coverage in the city. The smaller, outlying cities have been officially announced already, because a smaller number of towers gave enough coverage for an official launch.

In the Indy market, the smaller cities of Muncie and Anderson were launched before Indy, even though Indy had a larger number of towers that had been upgraded, it just wasn't enough to cover the city yet.

If you do a little bit more searching around this site, I think you will find this to be the way it is everywhere.

• Like 2

Sure, look at the Boston market. Or the Chicago market. Or the Indianapolis market. Or the San Francisco market.

In everyone one of those markets, work is ongoing across the whole market, but the smaller communities, suburbs, and the like have been announced before the major cities.

For the case of Boston, the city of Boston hasn't been announced yet, but there is pretty good LTE coverage in the city. The smaller, outlying cities have been officially announced already, because a smaller number of towers gave enough coverage for an official launch.

In the Indy market, the smaller cities of Muncie and Anderson were launched before Indy, even though Indy had a larger number of towers that had been upgraded, it just wasn't enough to cover the city yet.

If you do a little bit more searching around this site, I think you will find this to be the way it is everywhere.

I dont think that is a fair comparison. Using that as an example is like calling "South Texas" a city.

I went to Sensorly.com and set it to show the U.S. coverage of Sprint 4G.

Almost every area there is setup in a circle we are a strip similar to the one that shows for the Miami/West Palm Beach(we are horizontal not vertical). Even that would not be a good example because that strip connects large cities and even at that has large gaps.

I guess we shall continue waiting to see what happens. Hopefully we will be posting about sites coming up before the end of the month rather than guesstimating what will happen in our market.

I dont think that is a fair comparison. Using that as an example is like calling "South Texas" a city.

I went to Sensorly.com and set it to show the U.S. coverage of Sprint 4G.

Almost every area there is setup in a circle we are a strip similar to the one that shows for the Miami/West Palm Beach(we are horizontal not vertical). Even that would not be a good example because that strip connects large cities and even at that has large gaps.

I guess we shall continue waiting to see what happens. Hopefully we will be posting about sites coming up before the end of the month rather than guesstimating what will happen in our market.

Look, he has given lots of examples. In no case ever in Network Vision deployment yet has there only been one or two communities that have been worked on. Work occurs all over the market in every instance. Every single one.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
eHRPD sighted in McAllen

Old Exp. 83 and Jackson

Will return to try to get a speed test

besoc2.jpg

eHRPD has been on for a while already. I drive from Donna to McAllen just about everyday and that's the only type of signal I get.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

eHRPD has been on for a while already. I drive from Donna to McAllen just about everyday and that's the only type of signal I get.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I don't drive to McAllen everyday. I live on the west side and I have yet to see the slightest of change. Zero changes on the Mission side but I was glad to see eHRPD in McAllen.

If you see LTE light up post it on here or map it on Sensorly dont hold out on us....

eHRPD vs EVDO isn't going to change your speeds, so a speed test isn't really needed. It's just a software update to the towers.

Thanks you saved me a trip. :-)

I don't drive to McAllen everyday. I live on the west side and I have yet to see the slightest of change. Zero changes on the Mission side but I was glad to see eHRPD in McAllen.

If you see LTE light up post it on here or map it on Sensorly dont hold out on us....

Don't worry I will. I'm usually running LTE Discovery on my way to McAllen and Sensorly on my way back.

might be me not seeing it before, but was there wimax added to the edinburg and mcallen area? is wimax anything close to 4G? sorry if its been answered somewhere else before, just inquiring. BTW saw this on the sensorly app for iPhone

any news for updates in laredo, tx?

the only update i've seen since days was a speed update for the towers and currently stand at 16 total upgrades for the city according to sprint.com

We are waiting for the first Network Vision sites to be accepted as complete. None yet.

The Sprint site you reference shows combinations of legacy maintenance upgrades and Network Vision upgrades. It doesn't show which is which. However, I will likely know within a day or two of the first site being accepted with NV upgrades.

Since we know no NV work is complete yet, all 16 upgrades shown on the map are to the legacy system. But work continues in the RGV. Should see the first site accepted in the next 30-45 days.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

might be me not seeing it before, but was there wimax added to the edinburg and mcallen area? is wimax anything close to 4G? sorry if its been answered somewhere else before, just inquiring. BTW saw this on the sensorly app for iPhone

WiMax stopped being deployed in early 2011. All 4G deployments by Sprint are now LTE only. The limited WiMax coverage in the RGV has been there a few years.

hey robert,

any LTE updates to report for the mcallen/edinburg/mission area? or updates in general? Seems like some of the 3g around the area has been upgraded, feels snappier.

I keep checking the acceptance reports for the first site completed. None yet. Maybe tonight? You may notice some improvements from some sites even before they get formally accepted.

• Like 1