Network Vision/LTE - South Texas Market (Corpus Christi/Laredo/Rio Grande Valley)

bluemustangjosh

Hey guys I have a question hopefully someone can answer it for me today at sprint I went to buy a cover and screen protector for my new Samsung galaxy nexus while they were putting everything on the phone I had asked when were we gonna get lte knowing that sprint hasn't said anything about lte in the valley. To my surprise he said we might get it very soon because sprint has technicians down here in the valley because of a recent hailstorm (hail in the valley haha right but it happened)he said sprint was going to kill two birds with one stone and not only fix the towers but also install the lte so they don't have to make another trip back here. Does this sound right at all any help will be appreciated. Btw the Rio Grande valley is the bottom part of Texas edinburg mcallen harlingen Brownsville area thanks guys

Unfortunately, the South Texas market has not been announced by S4GRU.com. This means that the market is likely not in the first or second rounds of network vision and will not see network vision upgrades until some time in 2013. I'm not sure why the store reps would tell you that, but many times store reps are completely clueless and believe the rumors they hear, or they are just trying to sell phones and will tell you what you want to hear to purchase a phone at that time. Stay tuned to S4GRU for more updates.

• Like 1

Haha that's exactly what I thought cause s4gru hadn't announced it yet but thanks for the information truly appreciate it and he was probably clueless cause I had already bought the phone I just went in for the protector and cover

Too many store employees are comfortable making guesses based on poor assumptions. There are trucks in the South Texas market adding additional T1 lines, additional EVDO carriers and voice carriers. These are the ones shown at network.sprint.com.

The South Texas Sprint market is not scheduled for NV/LTE in 2012. The planning and design for this market isn't even completed yet.

If Sprint changed its mind tomorrow about South Texas, it would still take almost six months to expedite it at this point. Next time you see this store employee, you should recommend him to check out S4GRU.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

when are the cities on the third round going to be announced just a ball park estimate?

We do have lists of 3rd and 4th Round markets. However, there has been too much jockeying in them, that we do not feel comfortable releasing them. We are hoping that we will see more concrete schedules in the Fall. We will announce cities when we feel good about the schedules we are seeing. I can't imagine that being for another 45-60 days.

Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow! Next time I visit my folks in Edinburg, I may actually see a Sprint 4g signal. I went there last year and of course got awesome [sic] 3g speed on my Evo 3D.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

McAllen/Edinburg/Mission announced today. Great news for you down South!
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-335-sprint-marketing-updates-4g-lte-city-list-where-work-is-under-way-and-adds-9-more-communities/

Yes. Work wasn't supposed to start until Q1-2013. It's a little ahead of schedule. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Hopefully my comment won't be deleted from this thread too. What about brownsville, we're part of south texas and all I was asking if the signal would be able to reach us from McAllen, mission or Edinburg I was not that it's superior or anything.

Hopefully my comment won't be deleted from this thread too. What about brownsville, we're part of south texas and all I was asking if the signal would be able to reach us from McAllen, mission or Edinburg I was not that it's superior or anything.

No. This is not TV or radio broadcasting. In urban/suburban areas, cellular signals are rarely designed to propagate farther than 2-3 miles. Deployment in McAllen, Mission, or Edinburg will not provide any Network Vision coverage in Brownsville. You will have to wait until Brownsville starts deployment, though that could happen at the same time as in the other cities.

AJ

Your comment was deleted with a whole bunch of off topic questions/complaints. Nothing personal. Thank you for going to the forums like I suggested.

Sprint deploys over an entire market, not just cities. So the entire South Texas market is beginning deployment. Although some of the early attention may largely be focused on the McAllen area, Brownsville and Harlingen and Corpus Christi will also be getting deployment soon. This is a good sign for all Sprint customers in the Sprint South Texas market.

Robert

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are they behind schedule for south texas? We are approaching the 60 day mark since the announcement was made and there isnt a blip of 4G LTE to be found.

No. They're not behind. They are way, way ahead. Deployment wasn't scheduled to start initially until late Spring 2013. They've moved it to start in December 2012. Work just started in the South Texas market.

Sprint did not announce that LTE coverage was imminent. Only that work was under way and that LTE would be available in the coming months. They used very vague language intentionally. No real time lines at all.

And at the time of the announcements, infrastructure work and logistics were under way. It allowed for active deployment to begin last month. We will probably get the first inspection reports for this market in the next 30-45 days.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
So any guess by when we might start getting lte connections in mcallen? Just wondering thanks.

Preliminary work is ongoing now. I think it will be at least 45-60 days before the first site goes live in the RGV. It will start with one or two sites at first. Then an additional one will go live every few weeks. It will take several months before it all is covered.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I've been watching this thread off and on for a while. I'm up for renewal on March 1st and really hope sprint has at least some LTE in the area by then or I might jump ship.

PS: Awesome site.

There could be some LTE in the area by March, it's hard to tell until we actually start seeing sites go live. There likely won't be widespread coverage or any sort of market launch announcement by March. That will probably come in late spring. However, once the improvements come it will be like a whole different network, worth waiting for in my opinion, but you do what you have to do!

Welcome to the site! Lots of information here, let us know if you have any questions!

:welc:

I've been watching this thread off and on for a while. I'm up for renewal on March 1st and really hope sprint has at least some LTE in the area by then or I might jump ship.

PS: Awesome site.

Well since they're already starting to the work in the valley I think it'd be worth the wait since sprints prices are much better than Verizon's and AT&T. Well if you're in a family plan as I am and enjoy the unlimited data plans.