Network Vision/Unlimited LTE/Carrier Aggregation (moved from Athens GA Thread)

All this cable talk reminds me that cable companies went through the same evolution. They wanted to offer speeds so they started aggregating (bonding) channels. Kind of funny when you think about it.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 235 233 234 236

Frequency 703750000 Hz 691750000 Hz 697750000 Hz 709750000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 37 dB 38 dB 38 dB

Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256

Power Level 2 dBmV 2 dBmV 3 dBmV 2 dBmV

A DOCSIS 3.0 downlink (4 bonded channels; 256-QAM) (i.e. as in irev's details above) requires 24 MHz of bandwidth and can deliver 152 Mbps.

An LTE FDD 10 MHz downlink (4x4 MIMO, 64-QAM) requires 10 MHz of bandwidth and can deliver 147 Mbps.

What implications does that hold? Discuss among yourselves.

AJ

My parents have Cox.

Oh, the juvenile jokes that I could make about this...

AJ

• Like 3

My parents have Cox.

AJ

• Like 1

Simple, FDD LTE uses less bandwidth and provides nearly the same capabilities. To me, that's a good thing.

ok ok AJ, I'll attempt - this is my theory

It's really MIMO that is boosting the spectral efficiency. Cable is using QAM 256 to boost efficiency.

4x4 MIMO + QAM 64 is more efficient than cable's QAM 256

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

Does anybody know whether they're adding CDMA800 to very NV site or every other or what arrangement are they using?

This is a great question, that I've never seen anyone ask. In docs I have seen for the Chicago market, they are installing 800 CDMA on every site except the dozen or so where they cannot use RRU's. For some reason ground radio units means no 800 CDMA in Network Vision...at least in Chicago.

I assume this is the case in all markets, but I do not have the details for other markets the way I do for Chicago.

800 LTE is only being installed on approximately 80% - 85% of sites according to plans now. But those carriers won't start coming online until the second half of next year.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

This is a great question, that I've never seen anyone ask. In docs I have seen for the Chicago market, they are installing 800 CDMA on every site except the dozen or so where they cannot use RRU's. For some reason ground radio units means no 800 CDMA in Network Vision...at least in Chicago.

I assume this is the case in all markets, but I do not have the details for other markets the way I do for Chicago.

800 LTE is only being installed on approximately 80% - 85% of sites according to plans now. But those carriers won't start coming online until the second half of next year.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Why do these particular cell sites not have RRU's installed? I hope they still get 1xAdvanced installed on these towers and LTE.

Why do these particular cell sites not have RRU's installed? I hope they still get 1xAdvanced installed on these towers and LTE.

I don't know why. It didn't say "why" where it was referenced. Maybe it's because the 800 1xA hardware is not compatible with the older ground based RRU's? But I am being wildly speculative with that.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to get back on the topic of unlimited downloads.

I think they will allow unlimited downloads through clearwire, once they have their network running. They WILL be able to replace a home connection with a that much spectrum, and it will be just another way to market the 'unlimited' it to the customers. They will need customers paying for service to be able to justify launching the network, but I predict them using a tiered system with unlimited being offered, but seldom bought. If clear offered 10Gig for $25 25Gig for $50 and unlimited for $100... There are few people that would opt for the unlimited, but it would be offered (and this is purely hypothetical). Because of clearwire's spectrum at 2.5Ghz they will never offer service in a non-metro area, but I am hopeful that sprint will integrate the spectrum into all towers that are at smaller towns. (they have shown the NV model with all 3 radios on the same tower)

With SOOO much capacity as clearwire has, they could look into other business models too. Like business internet + WIFI for one price to undercut the cable/DSL providers. The data rates for those plans could be capped at 5-8Mb/s to save on cost, but if they have blanket coverage with their new TDD-LTE in a given city, it could be a real opportunity for them.

Now, I do not believe this will be until at least 2014 because clearwire is not even launching their TDD-LTE until next summer and it will still take some time to be deployed in enough cities to be effective. But I think that there might be hope for unlimited wireless on more than just phones.

• Like 1

What are the dynamics of CDMA or LTE carriers and users?

To better phrase this, here is what I was wondering.

How many users can simultaneously download/talk at full speed on a single EV-DO/1xRTT/1xAdvanced/LTE carrier given ideal back haul?

Can the CDMA/LTE carriers dynamically adjust voice quality or data rates to accomodate more simultaneous users?

Now, I do not believe this will be until at least 2014 because clearwire is not even launching their TDD-LTE until next summer and it will still take some time to be deployed in enough cities to be effective. But I think that there might be hope for unlimited wireless on more than just phones.

Clearwire LTE TDD network is being planned now & sometime in Q3 2012 the equipment will be purchase & rollout will start soon after (Line cards & software upgrade to my knowledge). Clearwire LTE network should be up n running in Q1 or Q2 2013

Edited by alphnasx