Network Vision/Unlimited LTE/Carrier Aggregation (moved from Athens GA Thread)

And if that's the case, AT&T has 4G now (HSPA+, but still) where I am, so do I even need to really wait for Sprint LTE?

I don't know... ruined my day. :cry:

I understand your dilemma. I have gone thru it. And at&t is the worst about killing unlimited plans. They did with my friends data card a few years back, and we couldn't get by with 5GB/mo. Keep your data card for now. And hopefully your local utilities would come soon for high speed internet.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to keep it. It's the only way I'll have enough data to work at home. Just with the horrible 3G speeds I get now, if I do decide to get a capped 4G and keep my unlimited 3G plan as backup, I might have to think about getting 4G from AT&T now rather than waiting for LTE. I don't know...at least the 12GB with Sprint is much better than the 5GB than AT&T so it might still be worth the wait.

My neighbor works for CenturyLink and he's been after them for years to get DSL with no luck. He works on installing T-1 lines in the area, so next time I see him I'll have to ask him about additional lines he might know about coming to some of the local towers.

And if that's the case, AT&T has 4G now (HSPA+, but still) where I am, so do I even need to really wait for Sprint LTE?

I don't know... ruined my day. :cry:

Why don't you give AT&T a try for a 1.5 weeks to see if you like it more. It sounds like your main motivation to switch carriers is for the data speeds but I should strongly suggest you test heavily on call quality as well. I think sometimes we all get wrapped up on watching Netflix 30 secs faster that we neglect the fact that the main reason we carry a cell phone is to make calls.

Anyone who follows this site actively knows that its going to be awhile before we see Sprint LTE. Heck even Robert has to wait until 2014 to see LTE. But he has a Verizon phone so I don't feel too bad for him.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to keep it. It's the only way I'll have enough data to work at home. Just with the horrible 3G speeds I get now, if I do decide to get a capped 4G and keep my unlimited 3G plan as backup, I might have to think about getting 4G from AT&T now rather than waiting for LTE. I don't know...at least the 12GB with Sprint is much better than the 5GB than AT&T so it might still be worth the wait.

My neighbor works for CenturyLink and he's been after them for years to get DSL with no luck. He works on installing T-1 lines in the area, so next time I see him I'll have to ask him about additional lines he might know about coming to some of the local towers.

Yeah, definitely. Do you use more than 12GB/mo? I've been known to use almost 100GB/mo. at&t cut my friends unlimited data card because I used over 50GB 2 months in a row.

Why don't you give AT&T a try for a 1.5 weeks to see if you like it more. It sounds like your main motivation to switch carriers is for the data speeds but I should strongly suggest you test heavily on call quality as well. I think sometimes we all get wrapped up on watching Netflix 30 secs faster that we neglect the fact that the main reason we carry a cell phone is to make calls.

Anyone who follows this site actively knows that its going to be awhile before we see Sprint LTE. Heck even Robert has to wait until 2014 to see LTE. But he has a Verizon phone so I don't feel too bad for him.

I wouldn't necessarily want to switch my phones or my existing 3G data card. I like Sprint, and data speeds from a phone point of view aren't a concern for me. I'm the only one on my family plan that has a smartphone (for now). It's an HTC Hero and that thing is slower than Sprint's 3G network. :)

I'm more concerned about my USB modem which is my only option for high speed at home. If the schedules Robert's posted hold, the tower I normally connect to would get LTE by end of November. So, it's not that far off and is probably still worth the wait.

Yeah, definitely. Do you use more than 12GB/mo? I've been known to use almost 100GB/mo. at&t cut my friends unlimited data card because I used over 50GB 2 months in a row.

I've typically used 18-20GB/moth but haven't checked very much lately. And that's with the speeds I have now. If I have any large files to download (software updates, etc) I'll go to the library or somewhere else with Wi-Fi.

I wouldn't necessarily want to switch my phones or my existing 3G data card. I like Sprint, and data speeds from a phone point of view aren't a concern for me. I'm the only one on my family plan that has a smartphone (for now). It's an HTC Hero and that thing is slower than Sprint's 3G network. :)

My goodness...you are still rocking the HTC Hero. You need to pick up one of those new LTE phones. The HTC Hero is way outdated. The EVO 4G LTE should be a nice phone to pick up.

Yeah, I will. It just came off contract last month although I could have upgraded sooner. I'm waiting a while to see what's coming with the Samsung announcement this week. And I figured I'd wait until it got closer to the end of the summer until 4G started to show up around here to make a decision on a new phone.

I do like that new EVO 4G LTE though, that's one sweet looking phone.

You raise an interesting conundrum that I don't think Sprint has fully thought through. And this could possibly derail unlimited for the long run, but...

With unlimited LTE, Sprint LTE speeds are going to be faster than approx. 75% - 80% of their customers home ISP's. Many people may try to abandon their Home ISP's and try to exploit Sprint LTE for home service, or like in your case, why use a local ISP limited to 600k or 1.5Mbps upload speeds? Many people will jump on the Sprint LTE to do uploads with their 5-10Mbps upload speeds. Even I might be tempted. I only have 600kbps upload at my home myself.

I expect Sprint to crack down on unauthorized tethering on their new LTE network. The new network has ample controls to indentify tetherers. I don't see the status quo being maintained. And they are going to have to implement something to preserve the new network. Sprint does not have the spectrum resources to be a Home ISP for even 20% of its data customers.

Robert

I wonder if they will bother trying to decrypt VPN traffic? :ninja:

(I won't go too nuts with it, don't get mad)

• Like 1

I'm curious about how Sprint will future proof Unlimited LTE once there are a larger number of customers. Is it possible they could adopt Clear's policy about charging for tiered data speeds? Or that won't ever be an issue once Carrier Aggregation is ready to go.

Man, I guess I am one of the lucky ones when it comes to home internet. My Uverse gets me a consistent 11 down, 2 up. When I had comcast I never got below 15 down.

Wow. I feel sorry for people not in a FIOS area. They offer 150Mbit service here.

I'm curious about how Sprint will future proof Unlimited LTE once there are a larger number of customers. Is it possible they could adopt Clear's policy about charging for tiered data speeds? Or that won't ever be an issue once Carrier Aggregation is ready to go.

I think they will go the route that makes them the most money and we all know what that is.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Do you?

1926962107.png

That's under a reeaallly heavy network load, I've seen 400mbps down.

This happens sometimes too.

1926969711.png

Holy Cow!!!!!!! How much do you pay for that speed? :blink:

Maybe I am getting old but even 15 megabits I have is overkill.

A couple of months ago Cox offered me a free upgrade of speed if I locked in for 2 yrs. So it would have been 25 down for $52 or so. So I called in and downgraded to the 3 megabit for $38 a month and got the free upgrade back to 15 megabit. To my surprise the lady locked me in for $34 for 2 yrs at 15 megabit.

If I could have around 4 to 5 megabit on my phone I would be more than happy. Hell I will settle for 2.5 on my phone. Even running Slingplayer would work awesome at that speed.

• Like 1

Where I go to school they have a 500mbps fiber line for the entire school. Each buidling is limited 100mbps. These results are typical all day long. I've been looking for some one who could beat these results for awhile.

1927281599.png

When I go home I'm stuck with 15mbps up and 2mbps down which sucks after having speeds over 5 times faster. But after reading some of max speeds people can get at their homes I guess I'm fine. Especially since i can get 101mbps and 15mbps from my ISP and FIOS is also available.

I don't see a point of having more then 5 mbps on any wireless device unless your using its being teathered to a computer or being used as wifi hotspot

• Like 1

Holy Cow!!!!!!! How much do you pay for that speed? :blink:

Way too much!

Maybe I am getting old but even 15 megabits I have is overkill.

A couple of months ago Cox offered me a free upgrade of speed if I locked in for 2 yrs. So it would have been 25 down for $52 or so. So I called in and downgraded to the 3 megabit for $38 a month and got the free upgrade back to 15 megabit. To my surprise the lady locked me in for $34 for 2 yrs at 15 megabit.

If I could have around 4 to 5 megabit on my phone I would be more than happy. Hell I will settle for 2.5 on my phone. Even running Slingplayer would work awesome at that speed.

My parents have Cox. They pay for the 12mbps plan (preffered?) but we actually get 25~30mbps.

My parents have Cox. They pay for the 12mbps plan (preffered?) but we actually get 25~30mbps.

That's probably the "powerboost" kicking in.

First 50MB or so (enough for a speedtest) are essentially uncapped.

All this cable talk reminds me that cable companies went through the same evolution. They wanted to offer speeds so they started aggregating (bonding) channels. Kind of funny when you think about it.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value

Channel ID 235 233 234 236

Frequency 703750000 Hz 691750000 Hz 697750000 Hz 709750000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 37 dB 38 dB 38 dB

Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256

Power Level 2 dBmV 2 dBmV 3 dBmV 2 dBmV

I can powerboost over 50mbit and always get above 25mbit. My speeds are capped at about 28mbit.

1927539405.png

Obviously, I am powerboosting to get this speedtest result.

Charter must be much more devoted to the caps. I never get more than 1% over my advertised speed. Not that I am complaining though. 30mbps down and 2mbps up is plenty for me. The only thing that burns me, is that I had to buy a new modem to get those speeds. The leased one was junk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Windstream DSL here. I have the maximum plan offered. 12Mbps down and 600kbps up.

The best results ever: 12.9Mbps down and 760kbps up.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Windstream DSL here. I have the maximum plan offered. 12Mbps down and 600kbps up.

The best results ever: 12.9Mbps down and 760kbps up.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Did you see the battery results on the new qualcomm 28nm?

Holy heck!

46093.png

Goes toe to toe with the MAXX which has a battery that's almost double the size!

46098.png

From anandtech review:

Now that we have 28nm baseband we've immediately realized some power gains. As time progresses, the rest of the RF chain will also get better, already most of the LTE power amplifiers vendors have newer generation parts with higher PAE (Power-Added Efficiency), such improvements will hopefully continue to improve things and gradually bring LTE battery life closer to that of 3G WCDMA or EVDO.

• Like 1