did anybody see improved and upgraded 3g speeds as of lately

here in south Minneapolis, I normally see 300-700 kbps, but on a few occasions at night I've seen 1,500 + kbps on 3g. I'm assuming sprint is doing some kind of testing when I see those high speeds.

here in south Minneapolis, I normally see 300-700 kbps, but on a few occasions at night I've seen 1,500 + kbps on 3g. I'm assuming sprint is doing some kind of testing when I see those high speeds.

Typically night time will bring higher speeds anyway since the network wouldn't be stressed as much. For example here in atlanta, my average speeds in the day time use to be 250kbps max but late at night and early in the morning I would easily average 2200kbps easily. Now since sprint have improved slightly I am now averaging about 600 to 1000kbps but again late at nights I still average same 2200kbps.

Typically night time will bring higher speeds anyway since the network wouldn't be stressed as much. For example here in atlanta, my average speeds in the day time use to be 250kbps max but late at night and early in the morning I would easily average 2200kbps easily. Now since sprint have improved slightly I am now averaging about 600 to 1000kbps but again late at nights I still average same 2200kbps.

I don't think its because its night time, I test every night at about 9 pm when I take the dog out. I've only seen 1,500 + a few times, otherwise its consistantly 300-700 kbps.

My speeds typically crash in the evenings around 5:30-6pm and stay that way until 11 or 12 at night. They are always slow, even during the day I probably only get 200-300kbps, maybe 300-500kbps on a real good day. But at night, sometimes I'm getting dial-up like speeds, less than 100k. Now, the tower I use is more rural so it's most likely people getting home from work and using the tower a bit more, but who knows.

Does anyone know, when the network.sprint.com site says a tower is getting a "data speed upgrade", what are they actually changing?

I know the capacity upgrades would be more/better backhaul.

I don't think its because its night time, I test every night at about 9 pm when I take the dog out. I've only seen 1,500 + a few times, otherwise its consistantly 300-700 kbps.

Try at midnight if you're awake. 9pm is still late evening and networks are still fairly congested. Try at 3am for even better results in order to see the difference.

I get constant speeds of 1 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps through out the day

In some areas of my town speeds though are as low as 200 Kbps

so must of us probably seen the pictures of the lte coverage from the other forum athens georgia but what i want to know did anybody get any upgraded 3g speeds or improved 3g speeds as of lately

My 3G speeds stay between 1.0Mbps and 1.4Mbps 24 hours a day in Northern New Mexico around Los Alamos, Española and Pojoaque.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

I guess I'm the opposite, I've seen the 3G speeds maintain their sub 200kbps for the longest time. I tried watching a Youtube video this morning, something which I was able to do a year ago, and gave up after 2 minutes of buffering.

At work I have a great 3G signal, usually peaking at 1.1mbps, but when I leave the office and walk on the street, I watch it drop to almost nothing.

Here's to NV coming to NYC soon...please?

• Like 1

I saw a very noticeable increase in speeds in the Phoenix area a few weeks ago but they seem to be fluctuating a since then. Right now I'm getting almost 200kbps, one hour from now the average speed might go down to 20kbps or it might jump another 100 to about 300kbps. I figured it might be work that they are doing on the towers but it's been going on for a while now so who knows.

I saw a very noticeable increase in speeds in the Phoenix area a few weeks ago but they seem to be fluctuating a since then. Right now I'm getting almost 200kbps, one hour from now the average speed might go down to 20kbps or it might jump another 100 to about 300kbps. I figured it might be work that they are doing on the towers but it's been going on for a while now so who knows.

On network.sprint.com for your area, did you just have a lot of data speed upgrades? I am asking because I want to see if the band-aid fixes they are doing before NV actually work, or if the network goes down to a crawl once the subscribers realize they have data that is usable again.

My area is supposed to be getting the band-aid fixes in about 4 months, but NV isn't scheduled to start until sometime next year, so I hope I don't have to wait over a year for usable data.

On network.sprint.com for your area, did you just have a lot of data speed upgrades? I am asking because I want to see if the band-aid fixes they are doing before NV actually work, or if the network goes down to a crawl once the subscribers realize they have data that is usable again.

My area is supposed to be getting the band-aid fixes in about 4 months, but NV isn't scheduled to start until sometime next year, so I hope I don't have to wait over a year for usable data.

I did a write up about this in another thread recently: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/825-network-woes-fixes/page__pid__14438#entry14438

Robert

Yeah, I saw your write up, but I was hoping for some people who had this work done to see what exactly is happening in the real world.

Maybe someone will respond to you. But I assure you that my comments in that thread are based on real world observations that are what members and social media followers have been saying to me for months in comments, posts, threads, PM's, etc. They are not my personal machinations or flights of fancy on my part.

Robert

• Like 2

I read that write-up too Robert, but maybe I'm still missing something. What's exactly happening with the "data speed upgrade" as opposed to a "data capacity upgrade" which would be additional backhaul?

I've seen both, as well as voice upgrades, in my area on the sprint website.

I read that write-up too Robert, but maybe I'm still missing something. What's exactly happening with the "data speed upgrade" as opposed to a "data capacity upgrade" which would be additional backhaul?

I've seen both, as well as voice upgrades, in my area on the sprint website.

Here are definitions of the upgrades shown at network.sprint.com:

• data speed upgrade = An additional T1 line. In some really heavy usage sites, it might be two T1 lines.
  • data capacity upgrade = An additional 3G EVDO carrier
  • voice upgrade = An additional 1x Voice/Data carrier

Robert

• Like 3

Here are definitions of the upgrades shown at network.sprint.com:

• data speed upgrade = An additional T1 line. In some really heavy usage sites, it might be two T1 lines.
  • data capacity upgrade = An additional 3G EVDO carrier
  • voice upgrade = An additional 1x Voice/Data carrier

Robert

I guess I had that backwards. :blink: Was thinking "capacity" was backhaul.

Thanks for clearing that up Robert.

• Like 1

Last 6 months:

data capacity upgrades

data speed upgrade

Completed:

Next 6 months:

voice upgrade

data capacity upgrade

Planned:

So, that is what has been done to my area. As Robert stated in his linked post I went from being unable to use my data connection at home to having the ability to use it for a few months before seeing speeds decrease as more people realized this too. The end result is that while speeds are marginally better now from what they were 6-12 months ago the overall customer experience currently is that it is nearly unusable again. Oddly enough I can pull amazing numbers from the towers 5 miles away in one direction and go straight to 3g roaming 5 miles the other direction.

This is in south west Austin, TX.

Edited by cletus
  • Like 1

I'm in NE Indiana, old iPCS territory. Ever since I've been with Sprint, it's always been 1x data around here.

As of this afternoon, I now have 3G. I'm trying to determine whether this was a full NV upgrade or what. But I'm so excited.

Screenshot_2012-05-01-16-22-29.jpg

Our mission statement at S4GRU is: "To provide a forum for discussion and education about wireless spectrum, networks, and Sprint Network Vision, in particular, in an online community that is mature, intelligent, and free from uncritical negativity."

Please keep this in mind. This thread is careening in to "uncritical negativity." The thread is not about poor speeds. It's asking about who has seen improved 3G speeds. Please help to keep this on topic. Thanks.

Robert

• Like 1

I have had the same speed results of 400 - 600 kbps on the 3G tower near my house. We do have towers in the area with 4G Wimax, but unfortunately the tower near my house is only 3G. I do agree that at night my speed results go up to 1000 -1200 kbps late at night. I also realize this tower most likely won't get 4G Wimax at this point. :(

Just yesterday and today I noticed there were a couple of pickup trucks next to this tower near my house and the gate was open to access the tower. This tower is literally in a residential neighborhood and sits between several houses. I am pretty sure the tower was built there first and then the subdivision was built around it. Well I was doing speed test yesterday and last night and everything seemed the same, except tonight now my phone will display me connecting on 1X and NOT 3G. I am guessing they probably disconnected the 3G equipment and are in the process of upgrading it. Just a guess.

I also noticed that the tower looks like it already has the upgraded antenna installed. They look similar the one's I have seen posted on these forums. Hopefully they will get that upgraded equipment installed soon and I can post my 3G results when they are finished.

I am using my HTC EVO 3D and know that I won't be able to benefit with LTE, but if they can improve the 3G speeds, I will be happy until I upgrade next year around this time with a new LTE phone.

I have seen my speeds increase dramatically within the last few months. Something to the tune of an avg 1.36 mb/s on the DS. Highest I have ever gotten was 2.56 mb/s on the DS.

my speeds always average around 1.5 meg down and about 600 up and this weekend was the only weekend i seen my speeds decrease to about 100to300 down and 500 up i was wondering was it because of capacity issues or was it because of nv