Signal Amplification - I want to install a booster at my house

I have a particular problem with signal around my house. All sort of signals do not get to my house. I will lose all but the strongest radio signals even FM and OTA TV, cellphone is no different. I recently switched from iDen (which worked reasonably well - ~90db) to CDMA (which leaves much to be desired ~110db+ on a good day)

So long story short I decide to get a booster for my house. I already have a TV antenna that I installed myself so I can attest to its proper grounding and stability. On my roof I get around 100db on my PCS phone so I will need to get a specialized antenna to be able to grab signals from my tower about 2.6 miles NE of my house. (My closest Wimax tower is 4.2 miles ~13degrees east of the first tower, I thought about getting a booster to pick that up but given recent developments I guess I can wait for LTE.)

I have found this antenna: http://www.zdacomm.com/1900-mhz-grid-paraboilc-dish-antenna-series.html

Now I want to match it up with a reasonable amp that I can also split to three internal antennas if necessary to cover my whole house with reliable signal.

I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you about this idea and whether NV will make this whole effort moot. (I tend to believe not because all carriers have issue at my house)

Also I was hoping you could give me some advice on whether this antenna will do the trick or its just overkill, I rather give the booster the best signal I can get to it so that I get the best signal possible at my house.

Wilson Amplifiers support all PCS bands including the G-Block, however 800 SMR is unsupported so using the signal booster will definitely help before and after network vision but it won't be a complete solution as it won't support SMR 800 or BRS 2.6ghz.

To reiterate, these boosters will increase post-network vision LTE signal on the PCS band but only on the PCS band.

I think that they are a worthwhile investment as my booster took a -108dbm signal outside to full bars near the inside antenna (which I use for tethering).

I have only used the wilson 801247 which is only meant for use in a short range (like on a desk). So I don't have any experience with full building solutions (I couldn't afford one at the time and only reallly cared about tethering).

I understand. To have a full solution I will need different antennas (one for each band) and multiple amplifiers (again one for each band). I just don't want to oscillate the signal with multiple high power antennas inside my house. I was hoping someone here had some experience with the set up I am envisioning.

Since the amps don't care what type of signal they are grabbing and boosting (as far as I know) even if the PCS signal turns to LTE I should continue to receive a good signal in that band, correct?

Also what polarity do the towers use? Vertical or Horizontal?

I understand. To have a full solution I will need different antennas (one for each band) and multiple amplifiers (again one for each band). I just don't want to oscillate the signal with multiple high power antennas inside my house. I was hoping someone here had some experience with the set up I am envisioning.

Since the amps don't care what type of signal they are grabbing and boosting (as far as I know) even if the PCS signal turns to LTE I should continue to receive a good signal in that band, correct?

Also what polarity do the towers use? Vertical or Horizontal?

Oscillation is a problem. I would assume with multiple indoor antennas they would pointed downward so as not to send the amplified signal back into the outside antennas on your roof. My indoor antenna has a horizontal implementation which requires me to aim it away from the outdoor antenna and maintain a required distance away from it.

The PCS band will be the bread and butter band both before and after network vision. So before network vision you will get 1xRTT voice and EV-DO data. After Network vision you will get 1xAdvanced voice and your choice of EV-DO or LTE for data.

As for outside antenna polarity, I don't know but my intuition says that mounting it this way --- would reduce indoor oscillation compared to this way | .

I have that but unfortunately it does not cut it. I already have VoIP and several streaming and video game devices. My connection tops at 3Mps I have it but it goes out all the time because of network congestion.

I have a particular problem with signal around my house. All sort of signals do not get to my house. I will lose all but the strongest radio signals even FM and OTA TV, cellphone is no different. I recently switched from iDen (which worked reasonably well - ~90db) to CDMA (which leaves much to be desired ~110db+ on a good day)

So long story short I decide to get a booster for my house. I already have a TV antenna that I installed myself so I can attest to its proper grounding and stability. On my roof I get around 100db on my PCS phone so I will need to get a specialized antenna to be able to grab signals from my tower about 2.6 miles NE of my house. (My closest Wimax tower is 4.2 miles ~13degrees east of the first tower, I thought about getting a booster to pick that up but given recent developments I guess I can wait for LTE.)

I have found this antenna: http://www.zdacomm.c...nna-series.html

Now I want to match it up with a reasonable amp that I can also split to three internal antennas if necessary to cover my whole house with reliable signal.

I was hoping I could get some insight from some of you about this idea and whether NV will make this whole effort moot. (I tend to believe not because all carriers have issue at my house)

Also I was hoping you could give me some advice on whether this antenna will do the trick or its just overkill, I rather give the booster the best signal I can get to it so that I get the best signal possible at my house.

If you figure out how let me know

I would like to install similar system for my house because services is horrible

If you figure out how let me know

I would like to install similar system for my house because services is horrible

That depends on what you need it for and whether you have a solid home internet connection. Let me break it down for you.

breakdownr.png

• Like 1

That depends on what you need it for and whether you have a solid home internet connection. Let me break it down for you.

With the Wilson, can I use any antenna with a coaxial connection for the outdoor/ window antenna?

 Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 

I'm guessing no one on here has put together a full building solution? I will attempt to document as much as I can when I do. Where would I need to put that if I do?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm installing a wilson system in my home now. I will post pictures once its all finished.

• Like 1

How fast are your speeds? What device are you using?

4GHoward, I have a Clear iSpot, and lately my data speeds are down to .55 down and .76 up. They might be trying to get the iSpot users to upgrade to standard devices though.

How fast are your speeds? What device are you using?

dunno the exact speed, but i know its faster than DSL up to 3mb. i get lil or no buffering when i watch streaming video

Edited by alphnasx

will the wilson yagi 1900 and 800 directional antennas work with Sprint's Lte? I am asking this because i saw ebay listing for wilson products mentioning does not work with Verizon and ATT lte..is that becuase they are on 700? With sprint launching on 800 and 1900 (and 2500 thru Clear) is this a advantage for sprint in the sense aftermarket products dont work with 700 mhz?

will the wilson yagi 1900 and 800 directional antennas work with Sprint's Lte? I am asking this because i saw ebay listing for wilson products mentioning does not work with Verizon and ATT lte..is that becuase they are on 700? With sprint launching on 800 and 1900 (and 2500 thru Clear) is this a advantage for sprint in the sense aftermarket products dont work with 700 mhz?

Currently no antennas from Wildon work with Sprint's WiMax or LTE has far as I know

The 1900 certainly will and I can confirm that the Wilson 801247 amp is designed to amplify the G-block.

I bet the 800 antenna does as well but maybe not as well as an antenna specifically tuned for SMR bands.

This antenna is designed to amplify the 850 cellular band which is only slightly different in frequency than SMR when it comes to making antennas. However, what is key is that the amplifier supports SMR bands, which most do not! Amplifiers are very specific in their operating frequencies, so specific that Wilson warns that SMR users will see no gain from an 850 cellular amplifier like the 801247.

So basically, the antennas work fully but the amplifiers will only work partially (1900 only) unless you get a separate amplifier which is specifically designed for the SMR 800 (iden) band.

Edit: just fyi, Wilson does make Verizon 700mhz and ATT 700mhz LTE amplifiers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my install currently only one indoor antenna. Took my signal level on my Gnex from best -93dB to -75dB, and worst -120dB to -93dB.

Parts list:

805045 - Wilson Electronics dual band 800/1900 65dB Amplifier

304411 - Wilson Electronics dual band yagi

301121 - Wilson Electronics dual band ceiling mount Omni

952320 - 20Ft LMR-400

952350 - 50Ft LMR-400

P8AX09 - Citel Gas discharge surge suppressor(I had these on hand, can be substituted with Wilson PN 859902)

In the picture of the amplifier it is not yet grounded. I cannot stress how important it is to properly ground the surge suppressor.

TGG1Hh.jpg

HhS1l.jpg

ieQ5dh.jpg

• Like 3