Nexus or Evo LTE?

Abyss19707

The nexus S just got ICS in April. We can differ on the fact of whether it is last year or not; However manufactured in 2011 seems pretty much like last year if you ask me.!

Technically the Galaxy Nexus was released in the US 15 December 2011, so I guess one might say it is last year's phone. If you want to look at it that way, the Nexus S is a 2 year old phone, and beat every last one of last year's CDMA phones to the punch with their ICS upgrade.

What I consider "last year's phones" is anything built around Gingerbread and having to upgrade to ICS and "make it work" with the new OS. You'll always find some things that don't work the best when you upgrade the OS. This year's phones are anything built around ICS, and next year's phones will be built around Jelly Bean. (sorry Viper owners)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

That really depends on the phone. The Galaxy Nexus is a flagship phone. The Evo Shift was also built last year and discontinued a few days shy of a year old. Even though it's last year's phone, it's worse than being last years tech.

It is a flagship phone however the plagues that Verizon had seems to suggest other wise. I think it is a great phone, but the CDMA version won't be supported likes the GSM version according to post from Google tech themselves. Just from the Tech specs it seems from all the reviews that the One X bested the Galaxy Nexus, and the EVO LTE is expected to do the same. Software wise the Gnex may have an advantage, but in two years no one will really notice this when 800mhz LTE phones hit the streets. Now I'd get the EVO LTE or something newer down the line unless I was interested in the ASOP, and future OS updates!

Technically the Galaxy Nexus was released in the US 15 December 2011, so I guess one might say it is last year's phone. If you want to look at it that way, the Nexus S is a 2 year old phone, and beat every last one of last year's CDMA phones to the punch with their ICS upgrade.

What I consider "last year's phones" is anything built around Gingerbread and having to upgrade to ICS and "make it work" with the new OS. You'll always find some things that don't work the best when you upgrade the OS.

Well that is true that the Nexus S got the latest OS ICS before others; however I mentioned that that was one of the main reasons for getting the phone in the first post. Again, the GNex CDMA seems to lag for bug support as I mentioned as well.

Well that is true that the Nexus S got the latest OS ICS before others; however I mentioned that that was one of the main reasons for getting the phone in the first post. Again, the GNex CDMA seems to lag for bug support as I mentioned as well.

I was aware of a couple bugs right after release that were promptly fixed, but I was not aware of anything else that hadn't been addressed.

I was aware of a couple bugs right after release that were promptly fixed, but I was not aware of anything else that hadn't been addressed.

Google Verizon Gnex or go to XDA or any other forum!

Google Verizon Gnex or go to XDA or any other forum!

I've been on 4.0.4 since February. The upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 is not a google thing. It's a Verizon thing. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/04/27/verizon-to-blame-for-lack-of-galaxy-nexus-update/ For the life of me, I don't know why Verizon ever wanted the GNex. They like their phones locked down and laden with bloat. Now that Sprint has the GNex, Verizon will have to keep pace on updates or they will look awfully silly.

I've been on 4.0.4 since February. The upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 is not a google thing. It's a Verizon thing. http://www.gottabemo...y-nexus-update/ For the life of me, I don't know why Verizon ever wanted the GNex. They like their phones locked down and laden with bloat. Now that Sprint has the GNex, Verizon will have to keep pace on updates or they will look awfully silly.

This is true, and today is the day of official updates a to 4.04 according to most tech sites that i read. In the XDA forums many people have not received that 4.04 release and I am sure as of the 1st of may should now be getting it. I hear there is a 4.05 already rofl.

Shamelessly recycling a post from AF, showing the power advantage of the S4 in the One X -

Holy smokes. Anandtech checked out the ATT HTC One X powered by the S4 - this is the power and graphics thread, let's see what they found at AnandTech - The HTC One X for AT&T Review

46097.png

46099.png

46098.png

This particular graph doesn't tell the full story however. In practice the AT&T One X seems to last a lot longer using LTE than any LTE Android phone we've tested in the past. Nipping at the heels of the RAZR MAXX, we need to look at normalized battery life to get an idea of just how efficient the new 28nm LTE enabled SoC is:

46093.png

46100.png

Engadget today claimed 5 minutes under 10 hours for continous video.

And the LTEvo battery has an 11% higher mAh rating.

Color me rather impressed. :)

~~~~~~

BTW, I think that we established that the LTEvo won't support SVDO.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/742-sprint-800-mhz-lte-set-for-launch-in-2014/page__view__findpost__p__12071

Edited by EarlyMon
  • Like 1

Engadget today claimed 5 minutes under 10 hours for continous video.

And the LTEvo battery has an 11% higher mAh rating.

Color me rather impressed. :)

~~~~~~

BTW, I think that we established that the LTEvo won't support SVDO.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/742-sprint-800-mhz-lte-set-for-launch-in-2014/page__view__findpost__p__12071

Very impressive, indeed!

And i think that the EVO 4G LTE is not equipped with SVDO, but it does have SVLTE.

• Like 1

That is some great battery life. I didn't think that the 28nm process would save power that drastically.

http://www.anandtech...or-att-review/3

Well, that's quite the review. Looks like the the EVO LTE with its S4 will stack up impressively well against anything available. Pretty much ranks among the top 2 or 3 in everything they tested, whereas the other high end devices were kind of all over the place. Just looks all around impressive and very consistent.

• Like 1

I would also mention that there's some confusion whether the LTEvo has Gorilla Glass or Gorilla Glass 2, see - http://www.stuff-review.com/2012-04/htc-one-x-is-protected-by-the-original-corning-gorilla-glass-not-2/

However - even though they called HTC and got OG Gorilla Glass (OGGG, how's that? :D), I think it's best to remember that during the 3vo (HTC EVO 3D) prerelease, HTC kept insisting that it didn't have GG - until they started saying that it did. So - depending on whom you talk to at HTC, I'd expect the confusion to continue for a while.

I have some friends using the GNex that claim for a fact that the fortified glass used on it isn't as scratch-resistant as the OGGG, don't have one, don't have an opinion.

In any case, if you go without a screen protector, avoid sand. GG is tough, but it's not transparent aluminum - it's glass. ;)

In any case, if you go without a screen protector, avoid sand. GG is tough, but it's not transparent aluminum - it's glass. ;)

Yes, Star Trek IV coming to real life. Would they have called it transparent aluminum if it wasn't in Star Trek?

• Like 1

Yes, Star Trek IV coming to real life. Would they have called it transparent aluminum if it wasn't in Star Trek?

Given that my Evo would print enough money to buy me an island and then transform into a jet and fly me there, I think that if EL TEvo is capable of protecting the future planet by saving the whales, and I'll go on record here and now as strongly suspecting that it will be able to do exactly that, then I'm going to have to agree that this whole Gorilla Glass thing is a smokescreen to protect the Temporal Prime Directive.

So - yes. Yes, they would have called it that.

• Like 3

The Sprint version does support SVDO

That would require modem support. As detailed at http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__12071

Specifically this quote from the Qualcomm S4 white paper that I think you'll find linked there -

* Simultaneous voice and data: For LTE handsets, the 8960 modem enables UMTS/GSM voice and LTE data (CSFB), as well as simultaneous CDMA voice with LTE data (SVLTE).

I'm going to respectfully disagree that it supports SVDO, unless you have some source reference that I've missed.

EDIT and PS - Yes, I'm aware of this claim by our own - http://s4gru.com/ind...fcc-oet-filing/

But SVDO is a nice perk, as internal Sprint documents had not indicated its inclusion.

However, I'm uncertain as to the basis for the claim.

Referring to page 6 of 45 of this document - https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1653714

I don't see anything there that suggests SVDO. Perhaps WiWavelength (AJ?) will chime in.

Edited by EarlyMon

Ok I stand corrected.....No SVDO....bummer

Unless AJ can chime in and tell us how he got to that, in which case, I'll stand corrected. :)

Good news if I'm right - if you like to root and tinker, having SVDO did require proprietary bits under the hood and gave no end of grief to the HTC Thunderbolt community. So, it's a win or lose deal, depending on your perspective. ;)

PS, here's pg 6 of the above doc - 6990296452_6c776b3476_z.jpg

(Delayed due to remembering my Flickr password, LoL.)

Edited by EarlyMon

I went Galaxy Nexus. I wanted a pure (non sense) android experience with ICS. So far, it's great. Only wish that download/upload speeds were better. .32mbps down /.27mbps up as of 10 min ago.

• Like 1

Given that my Evo would print enough money to buy me an island and then transform into a jet and fly me there, I think that if EL TEvo is capable of protecting the future planet by saving the whales, and I'll go on record here and now as strongly suspecting that it will be able to do exactly that, then I'm going to have to agree that this whole Gorilla Glass thing is a smokescreen to protect the Temporal Prime Directive.

So - yes. Yes, they would have called it that.

Not only is the evo lte capable of doing all those things you mentioned but it also has the capability of getting my fiancee in the kitchen and cook more(I am not even making this up) I showed her several youtube videos and she told me she will do anything if I get her one as well, LOL.

• Like 4

After Anandtech's review I am completely sold on the EVO LTE. The Sense-ness seems really subtle to me, so I'm not worried about it. Also, I like a more colorful interface. Why have a super amazing display if blue is the only color used in the OS?

One thing that does have me a bit worried is the whole S-off thing. I remain hopeful the dev community will find a way around this because I don't think HTC cares even a little bit.

• Like 2

I think a lot of people get worked up about stock ICS vs. sense or touchwiz.

The overlay animations weren't very smooth and nobody really liked them. Nowadays, you get a different unlock screen, a different home screen, camera interface, some other small differences, and a different app drawer screen (along with some different widgets).

It's not exactly a HUGE difference and nowadays they actually scroll smoothly.

When people talk about "last year's model" they really should be saying "last gen". Having a TI OMAP SoC, a Samsung LTE baseband, and a VIA CDMA baseband is a horrible way to do things. We are also talking about a huge jump in process improvement, going from 45nm (or even 65nm - GPS is 65nm, not sure about the VIA CDMA baseband), down to 28nm on a single package is going to reduce power significantly.

Don't get me wrong, the Gnex is a really nice phone... but the EVO will probably be much better.

I think a lot of people get worked up about stock ICS vs. sense or touchwiz.

The overlay animations weren't very smooth and nobody really liked them. Nowadays, you get a different unlock screen, a different home screen, camera interface, some other small differences, and a different app drawer screen (along with some different widgets).

It's not exactly a HUGE difference and nowadays they actually scroll smoothly.

If it isn't a big difference, WHY DO IT? This is what spurs the whole fragmentation arguement. Instead of simply making the next release of Android OS work for the hardware components, the OEMs have to make their bloat work over the new Android OS. This is why there isn't a single CDMA phone running a skinned version of Android that has been upgraded to ICS without using a custom ROM. This is the biggest reason for people preferring a AOSP build to go with a Nexus device. Granted, the hardware components are currently 6 months more advanced than what was used to build the Nexus, and given the way technology is growing at an exponential rate, it is a big improvement, but if you are always waiting for technology, you will be waiting a long time. Sooner or later, you need to hop on the train.

Now, to put on my moderator hat,

This thread has CLEARLY gone from "name the strongpoints of the Nexus and LTE EVO" into "bash the phone model that you aren't in favor of" and if it doesn't go back to that, it will be closed.