Will Samsung get to make the next Nexus?

marioc21

Saw this on CNET. The story is that Samsung may have won the bid to make the next Nexus phone. That would be three models in a row for them if true. I just hope they put in whatever camera sensor they use for the GSIII. If they do then I just might buy a nexus. Biggest drawback for me on current Galaxy Nexus is lackluster camera.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57421062-1/motorola-snubbed-samsung-reportedly-making-next-nexus/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=readMore

If going with Samsung again means they put the Exynos 5450 2.0 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU with ARM Mali-T658 GPU in the next Nexus, all will be right in the world. Maybe that was a condition of Google securing that processor for the Nexus.

And as far as Motorola making the Nexus goes, most people expected Motorola to not even be considered since it could have upset the other Android OEMs and Google wants to make it clear that Motorola is operating separately.

If going with Samsung again means they put the Exynos 5450 2.0 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU with ARM Mali-T658 GPU in the next Nexus, all will be right in the world. Maybe that was a condition of Google securing that processor for the Nexus.

Like I wrote in my first post, I'll trade the quad core cpu for a top tier camera. The phone camera has just become a necessity for me. It's what I carry. My Sony pocket shooter has been collecting dust for about 20 months now since I got my Epic. Most of the videos and pictures I have of my daughter were taken with my phone and then shot up to Facebook or youtube or [whatever service you prefer].

Like I wrote in my first post, I'll trade the quad core cpu for a top tier camera. The phone camera has just become a necessity for me. It's what I carry. My Sony pocket shooter has been collecting dust for about 20 months now since I got my Epic. Most of the videos and pictures I have of my daughter were taken with my phone and then shot up to Facebook or youtube or [whatever service you prefer].

What is wrong with the Galaxy Nexus camera?

• Like 1

It's universally considered the weak point on the phone. They used a lower quality camera in it than what Samsung put in the GSII. That's not to say it's bad. Just not nearly as good as the IP4S, GSII and other top-tier phones.

I am pleasantly surprised by the performance of the gnex camera, its no where near as bad as what people are making it out to be.

It's universally considered the weak point on the phone. They used a lower quality camera in it than what Samsung put in the GSII. That's not to say it's bad. Just not nearly as good as the IP4S, GSII and other top-tier phones.

I wouldn't go as far as saying universally, yes there are better cameras on other phones but the camera on the gnex is definitely not the bottom of the barrel.

I just read a test that had the Nexus camera beating the brand new HTC One X, which the camera was supposed to be the strong point of that phone. The GSII and iPhone might beat the Nexus, but the list is very short after that. Trust me, the GNex is a good camera, most people are instantly jaded when they look at the 5MP badge. It also depends on what you want your camera to do. If you want a replacement for your point and shoot, maybe the 4S and GSII are close to that, even though I have yet to see a cell phone take a good picture using the flash. If you are like me and want something to take a quick picture, in focus, of something happening spur of the moment, the Nexus is plenty good.

• Like 1

I just read a test that had the Nexus camera beating the brand new HTC One X, which the camera was supposed to be the strong point of that phone. The GSII and iPhone might beat the Nexus, but the list is very short after that. Trust me, the GNex is a good camera, most people are instantly jaded when they look at the 5MP badge. It also depends on what you want your camera to do. If you want a replacement for your point and shoot, maybe the 4S and GSII are close to that, even though I have yet to see a cell phone take a good picture using the flash. If you are like me and want something to take a quick picture, in focus, of something happening spur of the moment, the Nexus is plenty good.

I have no qualms about the 5mp. My Epic only has a 5mp camera and I can take some great pictures with it. I just think if the Nexus is supposed to be the "best" that Google can make, it should have the best components. Processor, memory, battery and camera should all be the top of the line. Maybe I have it wrong and Google really doesn't care about the hardware as much as the software. That's fine, there'll be plenty of options available. It just won't be a Nexus for me.

I have no qualms about the 5mp. My Epic only has a 5mp camera and I can take some great pictures with it. I just think if the Nexus is supposed to be the "best" that Google can make, it should have the best components. Processor, memory, battery and camera should all be the top of the line. Maybe I have it wrong and Google really doesn't care about the hardware as much as the software. That's fine, there'll be plenty of options available. It just won't be a Nexus for me.

Could have been something to do with the advanced camera features of Android 4.0. The specific camera worked better or something... I don't know. All I know is that I prefer the Nexus camera over the E4GT. I'll take speed between pictures over a little better quality any day. That's how I decide which point and shoot I buy. They all take good pictures, but some take forever to process the picture, I start snapping pics in the store and whichever one is the fastest is the one I buy.

The review of the different cell phone cameras is here http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Camera-comparison-One-X-vs-Galaxy-S-II-vs-Nexus-vs-N8-vs-iPhone-4S_id3006

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Nexus will not ever have a "great" camera. Its pretty simple. All of the camera software for the Nexus phones has to be open source. Samsung/HTC/Motorola/ are not going to open source their proprietary camera software by including it in AOSP.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The Nexus will not ever have a "great" camera. Its pretty simple. All of the camera software for the Nexus phones has to be open source. Samsung/HTC/Motorola/ are not going to open source their proprietary camera software by including it in AOSP.

Never heard it explained that way. That makes a lot of sense.

Never heard it explained that way. That makes a lot of sense.

Now that's not to say that Google won't eventually create it's own camera software to compete with the OEMs. I am not sure if Motorola has any patents in that area that could be of use.

And as far as Motorola making the Nexus goes, most people expected Motorola to not even be considered since it could have upset the other Android OEMs and Google wants to make it clear that Motorola is operating separately.

Dude! If the next Nexus carries those specs, I'm definitely getting it. I always wanted a Nexus phone and I want this to be the year to get one. Until then, I'm looking forward to get the next EVO.

• Like 1

I got my Galaxy Nexus on launch and I was expecting a terrible camera. But I was actually happy with it, it's easily on par with my old Sensation 4G. The thing that surprised me was when I took a picture and I was able to zoom in really far into the photo, the best part is, is that I can actually see stuff when zoomed in as well.

If someone is making the next Nexus it's probably gonna be Samsung or LG. After my G2X experience, I hope it's Samsung. Considering that I just bought this one, I hope the next Nexus after the one coming out this year will be time-exclusive to Sprint.. haha

Edited by nocturnal