Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

Just passed the Walmart in Lebanon, PA and noticed a bunch of new equipment hanging on a Shentel tower next to it. Stopped in to take a closer look and there sat an Alcatel Lucent truck and another truck and trailer. I spoke with the fellow from Alcatel Lucent and he was doing testing. I asked him how soon he expects it to go live. His response was that he does not make that determination, however he has seen them go live as soon as the next day and as long as 2 weeks. So Lebanon, PA you are about to experience some LTE!

I did not have a camera along but did grab to pics from my phone. They are pretty bad due to the rain.

al.jpg

tower.jpg

Exact tower location is here 40.353298,-76.385411

• Like 3

If Sprint is, when should we expect it? End of next year?

Winchester is in ShenTel territory.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Which means that you are at their merci, ShenTel's I mean. What is their track record?

So that means no? What's shentel

Shentel is one of Sprints last affiliate markets. Shentel owns/operates the network in your area but it is completely branded as Sprint. From everything I've seen honestly, Shentel service in my area is much better than the Sprint areas I travel to.

It means ShenTel is a Sprint affiliate and runs the network from Harrisonburg, VA. to Harrisburg, Pa. along the I81 corridor and is currently upgrading the network. ShenTel is short for Shenandoah Telephone.

Shentel's NV deployment is already underway. They don't have quite as aggressive a plan for the rollout, and we do not have much information on this site, but they are upgrading their network.

Let us know if you see anything in your area.

It means ShenTel is a Sprint affiliate and runs the network from Harrisonburg, VA. to Harrisburg, Pa. along the I81 corridor and is currently upgrading the network. ShenTel is short for Shenandoah Telephone.

I think ShenTel goes as far south as Radford, VA, and possibly even further.

In Hagerstown at intersection of I 81 and I 70. Shentel territory. Great speeds 1450kbs down. Interestingly the system showed EvdoA. I saw them hoisting antennas up the towers 2 weeks ago.

You weren't able to get LTE there?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I too have not connected to LTE in Harrisburg yet. However, I noticed this morning in my office (where I usually have to force roam because I get zero reception) that the native Sprint signal is giving me 4-5 bars, then zero, then 4-5 bars, back and forth. I've never received more than 1 bar in my office (concrete building). I wonder if I'm about to get a boost in signal downtown?

Nope EvdoA 3_g Hagerstown md.

This has been beguiling me as well. We know this is an active deployment area and yet we are all still seeing EVDO-A. Which is strange because most Sprint deployment markets show ehrpd well in advance of deployment. Also, Shentel stated in their last conference call that the new core was completed.

I think ShenTel goes as far south as Radford, VA, and possibly even further.

Nope, Radford and most of SW Virginia (down to Marion or so) is nTelos wholesale territory. The dividing line is NE of Staunton.

This has been beguiling me as well. We know this is an active deployment area and yet we are all still seeing EVDO-A. Which is strange because most Sprint deployment markets show ehrpd well in advance of deployment. Also, Shentel stated in their last conference call that the new core was completed.

We have had confirmed report of a LTE connection in Hagerstown and the results posted on Sensorly. It must have just been up for a day. :td:

Robert

We have had confirmed report of a LTE connection in Hagerstown and the results posted on Sensorly. It must have just been up for a day. :td:

Robert

I had LTE in Hagerstown today at least for awhile. Looks like it was coming from a cell site at 937 Commonwealth ave. I took a quick look at the site and could see some radios on top of the tower. No technicians were at the site. Stopped on the street and did a speed test, 26-27 Meg down and 10-12 meg up. That was the best reading I got anywhere. As it moved away from the site, the speeds slowed to 14-16 down and 9 up. I did eventually lose the 4g and did not have enough time to head back toward the site to see if I could get it again. I did not find LTE in any other part of Hagerstown yet. Using a brand new HTC EVO LTE. It did pick up the LTE with out any special action on my part.

• Like 1

I had LTE in Hagerstown today at least for awhile. Looks like it was coming from a cell site at 937 Commonwealth ave. I took a quick look at the site and could see some radios on top of the tower. No technicians were at the site. Stopped on the street and did a speed test, 26-27 Meg down and 10-12 meg up. That was the best reading I got anywhere. As it moved away from the site, the speeds slowed to 14-16 down and 9 up. I did eventually lose the 4g and did not have enough time to head back toward the site to see if I could get it again. I did not find LTE in any other part of Hagerstown yet. Using a brand new HTC EVO LTE. It did pick up the LTE with out any special action on my part.

Thanks Stan. I added this site to our NV Sites Complete maps for the next update.

Robert