Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

So you're saying once these go live, they will transmit in 800MHz right away? I thought we had to wait until mid-2013 for that. If it's 800MHz right away, that's great news. Will I have to provision my phone to receive 800MHz?

800mhz voice right away. 800mhz LTE is 2013, it also should be noted that the use of remote radio's will give improved 1900mhz reception in buildings to some degree.

Explain this to me in idiot's terms (since I am one). When I had the OG EVO, I could pick up WiMax no problem indoors downtown, but I had to force roam for phone calls and texts, as I had zero 1900Mhz Sprint penetration in my office.

Now that I have the EVO LTE, I have to force roam for phone calls and texts AND data. So, I'm assuming this means I will no longer have to force roam (assuming I get the 800MHz voice penetration in my office) for texts and phone calls? And assuming the LTE is transmitting on 1900MHz--unless the signal downtown improves, this means I will have Sprint coverage indoors for voice and text (800MHz), but not 3g or 4g LTE (1900MHz)?

I'm trying to understand--I apologize if this is confusing. It was a lot easier when I could force roam for phone calls and texts, yet still have a great WiMax signal with blazing speeds.

Explain this to me in idiot's terms (since I am one). When I had the OG EVO, I could pick up WiMax no problem indoors downtown, but I had to force roam for phone calls and texts, as I had zero 1900Mhz Sprint penetration in my office.

Now that I have the EVO LTE, I have to force roam for phone calls and texts AND data. So, I'm assuming this means I will no longer have to force roam (assuming I get the 800MHz voice penetration in my office) for texts and phone calls? And assuming the LTE is transmitting on 1900MHz--unless the signal downtown improves, this means I will have Sprint coverage indoors for voice and text (800MHz), but not 3g or 4g LTE (1900MHz)?

I'm trying to understand--I apologize if this is confusing. It was a lot easier when I could force roam for phone calls and texts, yet still have a great WiMax signal with blazing speeds.

Pretty much, Clearwire has WiMAX locations independent of Sprint sites so that explains why you got excellent coverage from them but no voice/3G. In the very near future you should have much better indoor coverage for voice and texts because of the 800mhz spectrum refarming. Sprint cannot wait to get this deployed as well for the exact reason you just stated. They pay huge roaming costs in their coverage footprint because of building penetration issues.

Thanks for the info. I'm very curious to see once NV is deployed downtown, if I will see enhanced 1900MHz reception indoors due to the placement of the antennas.

For what its worth, I'm talking and surfing on 3G at the same time on the galaxy s3 in Harrisburg. Not sure if that is NV or just another upgrade. Still no LTE

That is purely handset capability. There could be upgrades happening to the network, but SVDO is not a tell-tale sign of NV. Sorry...

Still wondering; does anyone know specifically where Sprint's antennas are located in downtown Harrisburg? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if their proximity to my work location downtown is close enough so that it will definitely make a difference when they are updated and moved to the top of the tower.

Still wondering; does anyone know specifically where Sprint's antennas are located in downtown Harrisburg?

Yes. All sponsors at S4GRU have access to precise maps of virtually all Sprint antenna sites. These are not the Clearwire Wimax sites.

We do not have Shentel sites though. Only native Sprint sites. So we don't have any locations in Harrisburg.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

We do not have Shentel sites though. Only native Sprint sites. So we don't have any locations in Harrisburg.

Wouldn't turning off GPS, turning off WiFi and enabling "Use wireless networks" show you the tower to which you are connected? I know I am in Camp Hill and I'm usually connected to the tower at Sayford and Bartine St.

You may also want to try http://opensignalmaps.com/coverage-maps/ This doesnt appear completely accurate but may help. Driving around with google maps open and the above method will give you a better idea of where they are located.

Wouldn't turning off GPS, turning off WiFi and enabling "Use wireless networks" show you the tower to which you are connected? I know I am in Camp Hill and I'm usually connected to the tower at Sayford and Bartine St.

You may also want to try http://opensignalmap.../coverage-maps/ This doesnt appear completely accurate but may help. Driving around with google maps open and the above method will give you a better idea of where they are located.

That method does not necessarily identify a tower that you are definitely connected to. And the GPS data that is broadcast from towers that your phone uses are not necessarily accurate. That data is shown in apps like CDMA Field Test and NetMonitor, but are not always accurate. However, they are more accurate than Open Signal, which is very poor in site locating accuracy.

Robert

I saw engineers working on the tower on Route 22 (Walnut St) in Harrisburg across from the Sprint (Shentel) Store. Looked like they might be working on some NV! I'll try and take pics today if they are still there. Was in a rush or else I would've gone over and asked them some questions. But they were definitely working on the tower.

• Like 1

I saw engineers working on the tower on Route 22 (Walnut St) in Harrisburg across from the Sprint (Shentel) Store. Looked like they might be working on some NV! I'll try and take pics today if they are still there. Was in a rush or else I would've gone over and asked them some questions. But they were definitely working on the tower.

You are doing us a great service my friend. I'm keeping an eye out but I haven't seen anything in York yet.

I attempted to take some photos this morning, but was whizzing by in traffic. No workers present but work clearly has been done. In fact, it looks like they've added a fourth "ring of panels" to the tower. I'm really hopeful that they will get this up and running soon. I'm concerned that Harrisburg wasn't named in Sprint's press release a few days ago. I recognize that its Shentel doing the work, but Harrisburg was named by Sprint in the pressers they sent prior to WiMax rollout in May and June of 2010, so there's a pause for concern now. I've got to believe with all this work that the switch will be turned on soon.

I attempted to take some photos this morning, but was whizzing by in traffic. No workers present but work clearly has been done. In fact, it looks like they've added a fourth "ring of panels" to the tower. I'm really hopeful that they will get this up and running soon. I'm concerned that Harrisburg wasn't named in Sprint's press release a few days ago. I recognize that its Shentel doing the work, but Harrisburg was named by Sprint in the pressers they sent prior to WiMax rollout in May and June of 2010, so there's a pause for concern now. I've got to believe with all this work that the switch will be turned on soon.

The WiMax rollout was a bit different, as it was being done in conjunction with Clearwire.

It seems someone on Android Central has reported that they had LTE indicator light up on there phone in Hagerstown, Md today which is along the I81 corridor which I guess ShenTel covers from Harrisonburg, Va to Harrisburg, Pa.

It seems someone on Android Central has reported that they had LTE indicator light up on there phone in Hagerstown' date=' Md today which is along the I81 corridor which I guess ShenTel covers from Harrisonburg, Va to Harrisburg, Pa.[/quote']

Hagerstown is definitely Shentel. If true, this would be the first known Shentel LTE site live.

Not to far away from the FedEx Hagerstown station where I go to sometimes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I just realized that was you who replied to me on Android Central lol. Anyway, I had never heard of ShenTel until you mentioned it. Pretty cool to see out this way though. I never expected to see LTE here :D. Too bad I moved from Hagerstown last year and now live even further in Western MD :(

Edited by KHoff

Checked out the tower. Contractors are definitely working on the NV panels. Have pics attached. They're the third group of panels from the top. Top is clearwire, not sure who's the second.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/imag0047n.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/imag0046p.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/imag0043nq.jpg/

I just realized that was you who replied to me on Android Central lol. Anyway, I had never heard of ShenTel until you mentioned it. Pretty cool to see out this way though. I never expected to see LTE here . Too bad I moved from Hagerstown last year and now live even further in Western MD

Life is full of surprises.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2